The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka eraser

Re: My Book

I have a hunch Johanna meant she doesn't want to just write books; she wants to have them published too.

And Johanna, don't let P&C get under your skin. He likes to stir the pot and doesn't much care in what direction. He doesn't put up and he doesn't shut up.

James D Macdonald

Re: PA on a Major "Release" Campaign

According to my source, the Maryland Attorney General and the BBB has all but void all claims by "released authors."

Don't sign anything from PA until you've had it checked over by a lawyer familiar with publishing contracts.

(If you'd done that ahead of time you wouldn't be in this trouble now, would you?)

Remember: PublishAmerica doesn't mean you well and isn't doing you any favors.

<HR>

Elsewhere, the question has arisen, "Could someone explain to me how consignment works?"

Here's the deal: You buy your own books. Then you get a bookstore to agree to put them on the shelf. Any books that sell, the bookstore takes a cut. Any that don't sell, you take back.

So: You pay for your own books. Then you pay someone else to sell 'em. The best that can be said for it is, it's better than nothing.

Watch the bottom line: If you sell five dollar bills for four dollars each, you won't make any money no matter how many you sell.

ProandCon

"And Johanna, don't let P&C get under your skin. He likes to stir the pot and doesn't much care in what direction. He doesn't put up and he doesn't shut up."

Aka,

You're right. I like to stir things up and which way depends on what I'm reading. I usually respond to posts that seem to attack other writers.

An exception was NCQ13's post. It was always enjoyable when that pretty lady came on the PA boards. I remember when she came on the PA board full of excitement and then she found this site. Now, booted and ready to fight. Go girl!
I was trying to get what I call the Big Three to go picket with her and put their money where their mouth is. Talking about me stirring the pot?

I might go too if the Big Three will take action instead of producing a lot of talk. You are not too far behind them. Maybe you can stop fishing long enough to pick up a picket sign.

Aka, you should stop making jokes about me even though it was a half decent joke and get back to writing that column but please don't add any jokes because they will fire you for impersonating a comic.

Oh, I'm a fisherman too but I fish for

absolutewrite

Re: Or you won't ProandCon, because...

The suspense is killing me! What do you fish for, ProandCon? I feel like that I'm at that part in a TV show where they do the cliffhanger ending and I shout, "Nooooo!"

Sher2

I remember when she came on the PA board full of excitement and then she found this site. Now, booted and ready to fight. Go girl!
I was trying to get what I call the Big Three to go picket with her and put their money where their mouth is.

Everybody comes on the PA boards full of excitement in their naivete. For many, it's short-lived. Finding this site was a stroke of good luck on her part; mine, too. I already knew what deep doo-doo I'd stepped in before I found this site, but I sure do wish I'd found it before I landed in the stinky stuff.

The Big Three? Are those the ones being turned over to Torquemada?

ncq13

An exception was %%WORD2%'s post. It was always enjoyable when that pretty lady came on the PA boards. I remember when she came on the PA board full of excitement and then she found this site. Now, booted and ready to fight. Go girl!

Awwww. Since you think so highly of me, care to have me review your book? I must solve the, "Who is P&C?" mystery.
...I promise to wear my "objective reviewer" hat instead of my "Xena" outfit, and do a fair review...
:peace

James D Macdonald

I might go too if the Big Three will take action instead of producing a lot of talk.

Tell you what, ProandCon, drop me a note with your real name, and we'll talk. Maybe even about action that's happening where you can't see it.

Your secret will be safe with me. More than a few PA authors have found that out for themselves, but I'm afraid I can't tell you who. Y'know, their secrets are safe with me too.

James D Macdonald

Re: The Big Three?

Who are The Big Three?

It's got to be you, Dave, and Victoria, Ann.

Yo, ProandCon -- even if you haven't gotten a copy of any of my books (sniff, sniff), have you picked up your copy of <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0809325756/ref=nosim/madhousemanor" target="_new">Ten Percent of Nothing</a> yet? It's probably not in your local bookstore anyway, so ordering it from Amazon is reasonable. (It's discounted by 34% if you want it new, or a used copy is available for under ten bucks.) You'll like the part where Dorothy Deering goes to the Federal slammer, and I'm sure you'll recognize some of the names who helped put her there.

DaveKuzminski

Power of Persuasion

Unless James Macdonald was given a title by ProandCon, it appears that ProandCon was wrong about me possessing any power of persuasion. Besides, if I did hold that kind of power, I would have long ago used it to persuade PublishAmerica to clean up their act.

I must admit, ProandCon, it was a devious attempt on your part to stir up conflict among those who participate in this board by alluding to me as a mystic with power over others. Nice touch, too, on the ranch bit hinting that the others were equivalent to cattle.

Just so others know what I'm referring to, here's a quote from you: "I see Mr. Kuminski has been busy doing his puppetmaster routine with the posters here. He suggests little things to do and you guys fall all over it. My hat is off to your power of persuasion, Mr. Kuminski. I need to learn that neat little trick to control my herd better out on the farm."

DeePower

Could you all please...

just capitalize the P in power, whenever you use that word and not add the "s".

Dee
not a Piss Ass Author

Whachawant

Slight pause..........

ncq13,

YOU HAVE A XENA OUTFIT?....................:jaw

K...back on topic...

ProandCon

Re: Contract Termination

"I'm kind of surprised they banned her, she's always come off as rather positive on the PA board."

I'm not surprised. They will boot you in a heartbeat if they think you went negative on them. They tolerate some authors more than others. It seems they use a size 12 boot in the a** to dump the authors with who get frantic in their messages. First, the PA eyes probably read the frantic author's email, laugh about the author crying in their beer and then take bets on how fast the desperate author is going to post their concerns on the board.

The authors post their legit greivances and then the boot comes out and kicks them so fast they don't know what happened.

PA creates this d*** adversary way with their authors by setting them up by not answering the author's emails and by not posting rules for the board. Most authors don't realize they can't speak their minds or ask questions about legit concerns on the public board.

Hey PA Eye, are you reading this? Sure you are.

You are the one who is making so many PA authors mad by putting the boot in their a** for asking legit questions and by not treating them fairly. There is no doubt that you would have fewer authors if you put that your books are around $5.00 higher than most other similar published books and the author's book will not be accepted in most bookstores in your contracts where the author can easily read this information. You are misleading people even if the PA cheerleaders choose to ignore these important deliberately omitted facts.

Newbie authors, be very wary of PA because they will chew you up and then spit you out while saying next newbie author please as they smile. Watch out for the big "Boot"

Dave, are you trying to twist my words? By the way, when you start calling me Mr. ProandCon I will resume calling you Mr. Kuminski. I wasn't referring to the authors here. There was a meaning behind it but not that. I would like to see you quit being a sideline quarterback and grab that picket sign. NCQ13 and others need your help.

By the way, I noticed on a few of your posts that you actually have a good sense of humor. Maybe you can give Aka eraser a few lessons. I'm sure he would appreciate the help before they fire him for bad jokes.

Oh, I'm sorry Ms. Power. I would never think of you in those terms. We all have a bad day sometimes. Cheer up and try doing what I do by saying "Today, I will be a better writer". I hope you don't mind the tip but I hate to see you beat yourself up. I seem to have a hard time spelling your name. I added the "S" and I didn't capitilize the "P". Shoot me for the mistake. Please, be kind to yourself.

Time to go fishing

Hey Jenna. You are a pretty cool board moderator and I've got to respect your efforts to make PA clean up their act or get out of the business.

AC Crispin

The Big Three

(sarcasm mode ON)

Does the IRS tell?

Does the FBI tell?

Does the CIA tell?

Does NSA tell?

NO.

And neither does Writer Beware, Mr. ProandCon. So quit making assumptions, because we both know what happens when you ASSUME, right?

Just because you can't see into my head, or Victoria's, you ASSUME we are doing nothing about Publish America, ST, American Book Publishing, Cris Robins, or any of the other scuzzballs we warn about? You are indeed making a long-eared quadruped out of yourself.

You can kiss my pretty pink long-eared quadruped, Mr. ProandCon. Be the biggest thrill YOU ever had.

(sniff)

We Are Not Amused.

-Ann C. Crispin

(sarcasm mode OFF)

BeckEaston

PA Petition Calls for YOUR Signature!

I am calling all authors to help me in the fight for justice. I am compiling a letter to call for immediate investigation into Publish America to the attorney General in Maryland. I need for everyone who wants to take a stand against the misleading facts that Publish America markets to sign this petition. I appreciate that our fight has been difficult, but it has come to my attention that the reason that we have been ignored this far is because neither Publish America or the legal assistance believe that we are in greater numbers than the "handful of disgruntled authors" that PA refutes with. Add your name privately at ([email protected]) I am gathering the information to send to PA. I respectfully ask you not to post any names that you might see on this petition or the content of this petition on this Writers.net, Mindsighseries.com or this web site. Some people are under a Gag order and cannot be exposed. If you fall in this category you can also list your name to rebut PA claims by putting (Gag) next to your name. You cannot disclose, but you can refute testimony that PA has "few" mislead authors. The less PA knows about my actions at this point the better for all of us.

I thank you for your time and the courage it takes to seek justice!

James D Macdonald

Re: PA Petition Calls for YOUR Signature!

I am gathering the information to send to PA.

Why bother sending it to PA? They'll ignore it, and laugh at you. Talk to counsel. PA's first notice of what's afoot should be when the process server knocks on their door.

Sustain yourself in the meantime with happy thoughts of seeing Willem, Larry, and Miranda being led out of the townhouse in handcuffs on national TV. They can put that in their "Up In Lights" section.

Personally, I don't think the gag order is enforceable, but I'm not a lawyer. Talk with someone who is.

When the subpoenas come down, ISPs will give up anyone. Meanwhile, though we all have our suspicions, it's idle to speculate about who is a PA employee or owner posting on these and other boards.

BeckEaston

I agree Jim

I am gathering the information to send to PA.

Why bother sending it to PA? They'll ignore it, and laugh at you.

Send it to me, add your name to the petition. Information above. Check it out.

:clap

ProandCon

So which is it?

"I don't get it...is Proand Con a PA employee or not?"

Let me state once again as I have before in past posts.

I am not a PA employee or owner. Don't you guys read?

Okay, I know some of you use your magnifying glass sideways to analyze every word.

I am a PA author.

For those of you who request I say who I am, that doesn't make much sense. Sounds like suicide to me.

I talk about both sides when the need arises. Some of you are a little mean spirited and we already know about PA.

Ann and Mr. McDonald, you guys are funny! Aka Eraser has some competition on this board.

It's good to see people getting cranked up to win the big one.

BeckEaston

Petitition Needs YOUR Signature!

I am calling all authors to help me in the fight for justice. I am compiling a letter to call for immediate investigation into Publish America to the attorney General in Maryland. I need for everyone who wants to take a stand against the misleading facts that Publish America markets to sign this petition. I appreciate that our fight has been difficult, but it has come to my attention that the reason that we have been ignored this far is because neither Publish America or the legal assistance believe that we are in greater numbers than the "handful of disgruntled authors" that PA refutes with. Add your name privately at ([email protected]) I am gathering the information to send to PA. I respectfully ask you not to post any names that you might see on this petition or the content of this petition on this Writers.net, Mindsighseries.com or this web site. Some people are under a Gag order and cannot be exposed. If you fall in this category you can also list your name to rebut PA claims by putting (Gag) next to your name. You cannot disclose, but you can refute testimony that PA has "few" mislead authors. The less PA knows about my actions at this point the better for all of us.

I thank you for your time and the courage it takes to seek justice!

aka eraser

Re: So which is it?

<eraser rises briefly to inspect the bait, sniffs disdainfully, and re-settles into a comfortable torpor, awaiting a truly Pro angler>

SimonSays

The Big Three?

I don't understand why so many of you appear to have a problem with ProandCon.

He regularly acknowledges the bad things about PA. Just because he does not see them as Satan, does not mean he is their cheerleader or employee. He's merely a realisist. He sees the bad, but he also has a healthy perspective.

He's a PA author who has not cast himself in the role of victim. He has taken responsiblity for his own decisions.

He should be commended, not attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.