William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
maybe good fodder for weekend deep-dive thread?

from jed perl's new republic piece:

Do more and more liberals find the emotions unleashed by the arts—I mean all of the arts, from poetry to painting to dance—something of an embarrassment? Are the liberal-spirited people who support a rational public policy—a social safety net, consistency and efficiency in foreign affairs, steps to reverse global warming—reluctant to embrace art’s celebration of unfettered metaphor and mystery and magic? If you had asked me ten years ago, I would have said the answer was no. Now I am inclined to say the opposite. What is certain is that in our data- and metrics-obsessed era the imaginative ground without which art cannot exist is losing ground. Instead of art-as-art we have art as a comrade-in-arms to some more supposedly stable or substantial or readily comprehensible aspect of our world. Now art is always hyphenated. We have art-and-society, art-and-money, art-and-education, art-and-tourism, art-and-politics, art-and-fun. Art itself, with its ardor, its emotionalism, and its unabashed assertion of the imagination, has become an outlier, its tendency to celebrate a purposeful purposelessness found to be intimidating, if not downright frightening.

<snip>

The problem is by no means a new one. Back in 1950, in the preface to The Liberal Imagination, Lionel Trilling worried that liberalism’s “vision of a general enlargement and freedom and rational direction of human life . . . drifts toward a denial of the emotions and the imagination.” Liberalism, he argued, “in the very interest of affirming its confidence in the power of the mind . . . inclines to constrict and make mechanical its conception of the nature of the mind.” In the sixty-four years since Trilling published those words the process of constriction and mechanization has only become more pronounced. This process is reflected in the ever-growing obsession with polls, surveys, and sundry forms of bureaucratic analysis, which threaten to reduce all art’s unruly richness to a set of data points. Instead of viewing life’s unquantifiable artistic experiences as a check on quantification, the well-intended impulse among many liberal commentators is to try and quantify the unquantifiable. But the power of art, which is so personal and so particular, is finally unquantifiable—and therefore a source of embarrassment to the rationalizing mind. What is at stake is art’s freestanding power.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118958/liberals-are-killing-art-insisting-its-always-political

from alyssa rosenberg:

Perl is worried that by focusing on the political value of art, we make it harder to defend investment in it. I agree that there are risks in both strategies. If you argue that a sculpture should be preserved because it is beautiful, people who are left cold by it can say the work has no aesthetic value. If you argue that a work is good because it has certain politics, people who find those politics objectionable may be inclined to disagree.

In both art and politics, what is good and what is bad depend on deeply personal preferences and on framing. There is no technique we can use in either sphere of life to reach a collective agreement on what is good and what is bad. There is no objective standard for what constitutes a beautiful painting or a beautiful worldview.
from rod dreher:

Perl is addressing liberals in a liberal magazine, but his point is universal. True art cannot be reduced to the sum of its creator’s parts. It comes from somewhere particular, but it will have achieved the quality of universality that allows it to stand alone from its creator. Your understanding of Dante’s verse is far richer if you understand the historical, theological, and philosophical sources of his vision. But his lines are no less beautiful and true absent that understanding.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
from mostafa heddaya:

Jed Perl, a savvy polemicist far above fatuous windbag trolling, is mad as hell. Why? Because “Liberals Are Killing Art,” according to the headline accompanying the art critic’s latest for The New Republic. This is actually the best part of the piece, a turn of the phrase that flips liberalism and leftism for maximum shareability. Though the article itself is more nuanced than its title — Perl marshals W. B. Yeats, Robert Hughes, and Lionel Trilling (among others) in support of his claim that liberal “reason” has killed the mysticism and emotion of art by making it accountable to politics and other structural concerns — he seems, as usual, to be at war with straw men, and oddly indifferent to the artist whose autonomy he champions. (Jasper Johns, whose work is the lead illustration in the piece, once wrote that “artists are the elite of the servant class.”)

Like much of his criticism, Perl here seems to be talking to no one in particular, bellowing at the present from an oblique angle. And for someone drawing from the ambered debates of modernism, it seems deeply strange for him to blindly assert that emotions are not political, or that politics cannot be emotional. And without getting into an intellectual history of art criticism and history (a subject intelligently surveyed in a recent article by Ingrid Rowland in The New Republic), which might explain a turn away from the belle-lettristic art discourse he seems to advocate but not adhere to, Perl’s recycling of antique arguments under the guise of contrarian thought is tiresome. Witness a recent selection of art opinions shot out from Jed Perl’s steampunk cannon:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
from bob duggan:

But as W.E.B. Du Bois pointed out in his “Criteria of Negro Art,” “[A]ll Art is propaganda and ever must be, despite the wailing of the purists… I do not care a damn for any art that is not used for propaganda. But I do care when propaganda is confined to one side while the other is stripped and silent.” Perl’s the wailing purist Du Bois talks about way back in 1926. Perl proposes that artists can somehow choose not to have an agenda, to not propagandize. But as philosopher Jean-Paul Sarte pointed out, we always have the freedom to choose, but we never have the freedom to not choose. In other words, to choose to make art without some kind of content (or the more emotionally charged word “agenda”), we choose to make art that avoids or represses that content, to turn our back on what’s happening in the world.

Feminist artists have long complained that the absence of art focusing on women and their issues is a repression of their existence. Lynn Hershman Leeson’s film about the women’s art revolution begun in the 1970s, !Women Art Revolution (which I reviewed here) presents the marriage of woman artist Ana Mendieta and Minimalist male artist Carl Andre as a passion play of this opposition between feminist content and the drive for contentlessness. When Mendieta fell to her death from a 34th floor window 8 months after the wedding after an argument with Andre, she became a martyr figure for the women’s movement—a symbolic death of the female voice at the hands of muting Minimalism (even though Andre himself has never been charged and the circumstances behind Mendieta’s death remain a mystery). In response to Perl, artists such as Judy Chicago would respond that liberals aren’t killing art, the social gatekeepers are by restricting what’s allowed and what’s not. For Chicago, women who don’t make women-centered art are playing along with society’s repressive power. The time may come some day for women artists to be free to make any type of art, but that time hasn’t arrived just yet.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Who is Art and why do people want him dead?

art1_zps7a4343d4.jpg

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Why do these sorts of things always act like there's only one kind of art?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
additional voices have been added in posts 2 and 3, but you knew that.

but i understand you need to check off "be unnecessarily bombastic" before the afternoon gets away from you.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
It does seem to be a collection of response pieces. Can emotion exist free of reason? If so, can it be expressed free of the artists' reason? If so, can that expression be understood, free of the viewer/reader/listener's reason?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Never mind Art, who the fuck is Rod Dreher and Alyssa Rosenberg and why the fuck should anyone care whether they think art is liberal or conservative?

Not knowing who someone, or even knowing and disagreeing with someone, doesn't make their input invalid.

Hey Haskins -- "bombastic"? It's a lovely old word. It's still insulting another member just 'cuz you want to, which isn't cool, but it's a lovely old word.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not knowing who someone, or even knowing and disagreeing with someone, doesn't make their input invalid.

Hey, I've been saying that since 2006!

Williebee said:
Hey Haskins -- "bombastic"? It's a lovely old word. It's still insulting another member just 'cuz you want to, which isn't cool, but it's a lovely old word.

Nah. It's cool. How often do you get a chance to drop a "bombastic" in a sentence through the week?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

i disagree it was insulting, but obviously you hold the upper hand in these matters and can delete it if you see fit.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Was content ever meant to be suppressed in minimalism? I'm not up on minimalist painting and sculpture, but minimalist music is my thing. The reduction or stripping of content was never a thing for me but rather a much greater focus on less elements.

Just commenting on the latter article's mention of the battle between Andre and Mendieta.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what the specific question is here. Do I think liberals are killing art? Not around here. It's the conservatives who fight tooth and nail to get rid of art programs. Conservative donors who aren't interested in artistic ventures (but are VERY interested in STEM-related programs). And liberal teachers who mostly ardently volunteer their own time to supplement after-school programs when the daily curriculum won't allow for it.

At the school level (and again, speaking regionally), it comes down to prioritizing time. And you're a raging fool if you think a good school with good assessment scores are going to cut into test-prep time to include more art or music. A friend of mine has been teaching for 20 years. She said that most of her time now is spent preparing students for assessment so they won't lose funding. It's hard to justify the need for more art enrichment. Parents may say, "Well, it would be nice to have more arts," but when push comes to shove, they want their kid's school to keep getting good funding, and they'll opt for that over what some parents deem to be, "Fingerpainting bullshit." (Heard at the last PTO meeting I attended--and coming from a proud conservative household member.)

Again, just a small perspective. This is such a HUGE topic, that I don't think anyone can really bite it off (and chew it) without focusing it down. (Hence why I see mostly clowning-around responses--which I actually enjoy, so NOT complaining here!)

Propaganda is, haha. I don't know. As a Ph.D. student who has looked very closely at mass media effects, "propaganda" is such an old-timey word anymore, directed toward people who are ill-equipped to educate themselves, or, who are too lazy, or, who are comfortable committing mass confirmation bias in their daily news uptake.

Art for "art's sake" will always be a controversial notion because it does not exist in a vacuum. Whenever you include an audience, you open yourself up to an infinite amount of interpretations. Some will see in a piece what they need to see (maybe a political statement, maybe something that speaks to their personality or ideology). So, unless an artist removes the audience component altogether, then a piece of art could feasibly be called "propaganda" of some form. Twilight? I could find some stunning political statements from the novel--though most consider it light, fluffy romance. (And I'd bet that the writer had no political intentions at all when penning it.)

How many conversations have we had on this board about writers intending to promote a message in their work? And how many actually stand up and say, "Yep! I meant for this to be a take on Marxism and post-colonial blah blah blah. And I wrote it that way FROM THE START!" I think most people find themes (political or otherwise) post-drafting. Or not at all. It's for the reader/audience to interpret.

I mean, how many times can I read about communism and the "red scare" when googling the poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow?" Holy shit. The guy was a doctor. He was in a patient's bedroom. He looked out of the window and saw an eff'in red wheelbarrow. And some chickens. There you go.

Is that art? Some say no. It's crap. Others say, "There's subtext there! See? The chickens represent X and the color red represents Y and it's a work of art!"

Which one is correct?

Doesn't matter. And the author's intention doesn't matter either. As long as we have the ability to interpret, we will. And that almost always says more about the interpreter than it does the creator.

So, in the end (and I'm sorry if this doesn't answer any questions or contribute in any way), I don't agree with the premise. Not pragmatically. Not theoretically. And I wasted way too much time reading all of it and kind of want my 15 minutes back. But, oh well.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, younger people today (ages teens to late 20's) are far far far more savvy in terms of knowledge and in terms of politics. I find this generation to be hyper-aware of a lot that is going on around them and their art will inevitably reflect that--consciously or unconsciously.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Also, younger people today (ages teens to late 20's) are far far far more savvy in terms of knowledge and in terms of politics. I find this generation to be hyper-aware of a lot that is going on around them and their art will inevitably reflect that--consciously or unconsciously.

this is actually a great point, both for this thread and the one about conservatism in art.

nearly everything is considered political in this era.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
that seems contradictory on its face, but can you explain more about this?

Sure I can. It all depends on what you see as being creative or art in and of itself. A lot of modern people in the west don't think about it, but art isn't limited to paintings, writing, and sculpture. Architecture can be considered a form of art, fashion, how a culture styles their hair can be a form of art. Some cultures have very elaborate traditional hairstyles by our modern standards, with complicated traditional forms of dress. Jewlery is nearly as ancient as human civilization and is a form of art as well. Death masks of the Ancient Egyptians and other cultures are art with a defined purpose. Art isn't limited to just one or even three forms of expression, and every generationn adapts things to them. Every person does this as well, taking traditional bits of their culture and twisting things just enough that it suits them.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
historically-speaking, hairstyle, jewelry and architecture has often been tied to distinctions in status and economic/political power.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
historically-speaking, hairstyle, jewelry and architecture has often been tied to distinctions in status and economic/political power.

Doesn't mean they aren't forms of art though, confering status does not limit whether something is art or not. But if you need something more concrete, dance is a deffinit form of art and evolves fairly rapidly in a lot of cases. 60 years ago the Cambodian coconut dance didn't exist in its current form, but you can sure as hell bet it shares a lot in common with traditional Khmer dances. In fact, chances are there's a precursor to the dance now known as the coconut dance because dance like other artforms doesn't come out of nothing.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

this is actually a great point, both for this thread and the one about conservatism in art.

nearly everything is considered political in this era.

The last does does not require people being more savvy, either with regard to politics or knowledge in general. And I would disagree regardless with the claim that younger people today--as opposed to some undefined yesterday--are more aware or the like at all. I'm sure many of them probably think that they are, but so did younger people in the 90's, the 80's, the 70's, etc.

What is probably true is that there are more younger people active in politics and political issues, but that's just because there are more people...

As to liberalism killing art...Over. Thinking. In the extreme, imo.

Still, there's something to be said for overt political statements masquerading as art. That recent Matt Damon sci-fi movie is a great example of this, imo. It was so narrowly focused on a specific political issue--healthcare--that it surrendered any hope of being memorable. This is when political art fails, imo. It becomes nothing but a footnote, a moment of interest, nothing more.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Doesn't mean they aren't forms of art though, confering status does not limit whether something is art or not. But if you need something more concrete, dance is a deffinit form of art and evolves fairly rapidly in a lot of cases. 60 years ago the Cambodian coconut dance didn't exist in its current form, but you can sure as hell bet it shares a lot in common with traditional Khmer dances. In fact, chances are there's a precursor to the dance now known as the coconut dance because dance like other artforms doesn't come out of nothing.

but now you are making a distinction between kinds of art and forms of art... a subtle distinction on the surface, but more pronounced than most might think.

as for the coconut dance. i would guess that it is perceived, despite its resemblence to traditional khmer dances as indicative or at least suggestive of where cambodian society and culture is now, which makes it, if nothing else, a vehicle for political sentiment.

Last edited: