So how do I pitch my book and introduce myself to an Editor/Agent?

Razzy

Registered
Reaction score

Just a quick one; has anyone got any advice or tips regarding introducing your work and yourself to agents/editors?
I intend to e-mail an agency for the first time and I was wondering, what should I say about myself and my work in the e-mail? Of course, I have read the Submission Guidelines for this particular agency however, is there anything that editors and agents look for? How much should I tell them about myself? Is the sole purpose of the e-mail to 'sell' (metaphorical sense) them my ideas or is there a particular way in which I need to come across?
As an editor/agent, what kind of things do you look for? Is it just about having a professional manner and a good novel pitch or is there something else I need?
Are there any massive 'no no's' when it comes to a submission? I understand that I may be rambling, however, I really would appreciate it if someone could spare me a few minutes and shed me some light. After all, this is my first submission e-mail and I do not want to make any mistakes.

Thank you.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Read all the stickes in these forums:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174 (password: vista)

The worse thing you can do is "just email" them. Prepare your query since it'll be the first thing that the agent/editor will see. You are starting a business deal, not organizing a picnic.
Query and Submit only to agents and publishers that handle your book's subject matter--a large amount of people fail at this.
You talk about yourself if you have something relevant to say. No, "I've been writing for 5 years" or "I really really really want to be a bestseller." List degrees that might help your book (like having a psych doctorate with Psychological Thriller), and list any award or won contests relevant to your field. Skip anything that's unnecessary, as it'll just waste their time.
You need to word your query in a way will represent the work. It's not a list of events, or a total summary, but to tantalize the agent/editor's palate like any other reader--but, possibly with more spoilers. If you mean "sell my ideas" I have to question if you're not pitching the completed book, but a idea--for non-fiction, you can, not recommended. But for fiction, don't; finish the work, then query.

Since you don't know much about query and submitting, I'm led to think you're not experienced enough to deal with publishers directly. For that, I suggest you seek agents first and foremost and leave publisher submissions to the side. You can get worked into bad deals with publishers if you don't know what you're doing--an agent helps you there. If you wish to press onto both, query agents first because then you don't burn out publishers they could originally submit to.

Last edited:

Razzy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for replying and giving me more insight as to what I should include.
Perhaps the part about 'selling my ideas' was not well-worded, in the sense that I do have a completed novel that I hope to get published.
And yes, I am not experienced as this is my first query to an agency. Again, thank you very much. c:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Razzy, the good news is that you're early enough in the process to have avoided some terrible mistakes. The bad news is that you are probably not ready to email 'an' agency.

First, are you certain your manuscript is ready to query?

If so, then read the stickies. They help. Get a notebook (paper or digital), fire up the old internet, and start researching as many agents in your chosen field as you can. This may take a while (it took me five months off and on to research 200 agents taking fantasy and science fiction, back in 2010). Don't expect to spend less than a few dozen hours of elapsed time doing this. If you target your agent list, you become familiar with agents you might really like, well before you query. Get a list of responsible, proven agents ready. Separate them from the tip-top in their field (and/or those you just really like) down to mid-grade agencies who might be your secondary choices.

Work like hell on your query letter. In many cases, that's the one chance you get. Once that's as strong as possible, start emailing your target agents in small batches of queries, from the top of the list down.

Remove your ego, if you can. Some agents won't respond at all - after 90 days, it may be safe to just move on to other targets. If a top choice gets back to you later, you can work with them then.

I don't know whether you are querying fiction or non-fiction, and what kind of genres (if you are querying fiction). That can influence your targeting strategies. You can sometimes short-cut a bit by participating in themed Twitter Pitch contests and query contests (Miss Snark's First Victim runs some very good query and first-page contests with world-class agents watching, from several genres.)

Good luck, and may we hear of your success sooner rather than later!

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have pitched several books. I used to play baseball, as a pitcher, and generally use a three-finger grip with a three-quarters overhand delivery. I'm a lefty, so that might come into consideration, but in general, I found it an effective way of send the manuscript into oblivion in the dumpster.

caw

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eight month's browsing and contributing here should give anybody a pretty good idea what to do and how to do it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Now, normally I'd be joining you in banging my head against the wall.

But - I remember where I was in 2009, just after getting back into writing that summer after a decade's hiatus. I spent so much time on QueryShark, AgentQuery, Ralan's, Duotrope (back when it was free), the Writer Beware blogs, and AW...and I still messed up with my mms, my query letters, and still blew through 25 top agency chances.

In the end, two years later, I had a mms that was a perennial close-but-no-cigar at two major writing contests, and no real agent interest. Being super cautious and paralyzed with fear would have served me better, I think. So I trunked that book and started something different in another genre.

That one sold direct to a publisher two months after I queried it, and I got my agent off the contract help she gave me. That second sale would not have happened without the information and support I had through AW - and even by then, I had a hell of a lot more time browsing and learning than the OP has.

I remember what it was like to be new and scared. Only, I was newer than I thought, and nowhere near enough scared.

I agree, though: QueryShark is a great place to start.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick one; has anyone got any advice or tips regarding introducing your work and yourself to agents/editors?
For starters, don't use goofy fonts that may not show up on their system like they do on yours.

Second, it's called a query letter. Google it. Read the forum here. Read the agent/publisher guidelines. Follow them.

Third, welcome to the insanity. Realize that everyone who sees your material is bound to hate it at first read and never give you the time of day. Since that's a given, keep submitting because it can never get worse. :)

Jeff