Newbie question: What makes something 'literary' vs. historical fiction?

Bouki46

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering what makes a piece "literary" vs. "historical fiction." Or can a piece be both?

I'm working on a novel about a lynching in the Depression-era South.

TIA for your answers.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks you might get a better response in Historical Writing genre discussion forum, moving thread there.

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Your subject sounds historical.

On literary - there's an old definition and a newer definition. In the old definition literary was writing of superior quality regardless of genre. In the new definition literary has become a genre. You'll frequently find things that are avant garde in literary, but you'll also find some purple prose. From what I've seen, there isn't any one characteristic to be a common thread throughout items presented as literary.

Can a story be historical and literary - yes. Definitely by the old defintion and I'd say also by the new definition. Puma

Bouki46

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Puma and Cherubsmummy,

Would you happen to have examples in mind of books that were both literary and historical fiction?

Toni Morrison's Beloved? Or James McBride's Song Yet Sung perhaps?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Once upon a time...

quite a few years ago, a novel with history as an integral part was nearly always literary, thus historical novel =ed literary novel.

Now it's different. Some writers brought in genre tricks for their historical adventure stories or naval stories or murder mysteries. So you can have both lit and genre style historical novels.

literary examples: a couple of Margaret Atwood's: 'The Penelopiad' and 'Alias Grace'

Sirius

Registered
Reaction score
Further examples of historical "literary novels" would include Timothy Mo's An Insular Possession and Martin Davies' The Conjuror's Bird.

Last edited:

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brian
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
The Bonesetter’s Daughter - Amy Tan
Shogun - James Clavell
Tai-Pan - James Clavell

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing historical fiction, even if it is literary, your main category will be historical fiction. But some agents/editors who represent/buy historical fiction will prefer either literary or commercial, so you will want to direct queries appropriately.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Q: What makes something literary vs historical fiction?

A: Snobbishness. Have you ever met a literary critic? Some of the most famous literary work set in the past is so dull that you yearn for Sven Hassel. Possibly literary fiction is supposed to be well written. However, I think Robert Harris' 'Fatherland' is well written but that class as literary.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Q: What makes something literary vs historical fiction?

A: Snobbishness.

:D

My snarky side has always equated literary with a love of words over a love of story (or the love of a convoluted tableau of characters in lieu of a story). Don't get me wrong, I've read some great literary novels, but I've also read (the first 50 pages of) plenty that have more purple than an imperial robe.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje is my favourite literary historical novel. It's beautifully written, lyrical. If you want a perfect example of how a poet writes a novel, this is it. His style is non-linear, a technique he has perfected. To be honest, I think literary rises head and shoulders above popular fiction. A literary author might sacrifice action (or a variety of other things) for beauty or layering (or, um, other things). Ah, one day, one day.. far away!

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
A literary author might sacrifice action (or a variety of other things) for beauty or layering

You have a point there. Literary fiction does generally aim for an intricate and multi-layered style of writing. But there is a danger of condemning anything not written in this fashion. Especially as some literary authors have a tendency to neglect a plot in which anything really happens. Either that or they spend pages and pages making a well written novel which is dull and bleak.

I have recently read 'The Great Gatsby', which is generally classed as literary fiction. But it was dull, the characters were all pointless and it all got very silly. However, I am currently reading one of John Buchan's novels and enjoying the combination of good writing and intricate plot.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
No, no! I LOVE the Great Gatsby.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Actually...

literary novels are usually 'deep', ideas are important.

And people argue about what is and what isn't literary!

Last edited:

Inarticulate Babbler

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe literary readers/writers are "self important", but I believe they look for more in the literature they peruse. Escapist stories (which I prefer) don't usually make the reader work for the nuances. They are usually not loaded with allegory, and the metaphors are all spelled out. Literary stories have to be read on a word-level (almost a syllabic level) to get all of the nuances, to make clear what's happening, and the metaphors are in the scene, not the sentence.

Granted, if written poorly, literary prose can be pretentious; but if well written...it's brilliant (anything that would lose a purely escapist reader would be so buried that they'd enjoy the story on a more primeval basis, and never notice what they are missing).

Any literature can be deep. I've read Fantasy and Science Fiction that forces the reader to consider what's possible, or what the true human condition is--and that's deep--without being inflated or pompous. It's the ability to bury hints that fulfill the discerning reader on multiple levels that makes a story "literary".

The only form of literary that grates on me (which is far more common than it should be) is "slice of life", where there is no plot, rhyme or reason.

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps...?

Doogs, pretentious more than self important?

We suffer badly from it in New Zealand. The end result is that everyone tries to write literary work, but they have nothing to say, so end up writing arty farty pretentious crap.

Literary writers don't have to write about great events, often their insights into simple daily things are enlightening. I'm thinking of Alexander McCall Smith whose novels set in modern day Edinburgh I find give the reader plenty of thought provoking material in wonderfully written, readable English without a shred of pretentious 'look at me, aren't I a great writer' in them.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Doogs, pretentious more than self important?

The two are pretty similar.

We suffer badly from it in New Zealand. The end result is that everyone tries to write literary work, but they have nothing to say, so end up writing arty farty pretentious crap.

In my experience, even those with something to say can still end up writing "arty farty pretentious crap". I think it's more an issue of (subconsciously or not) placing language and style before story. I'd also stress that this happens on both ends of the spectrum.

...thought provoking material in wonderfully written, readable English without a shred of pretentious 'look at me, aren't I a great writer' in them.

You know, I think this should be a goal for all literary writers, just as we have to take care to avoid the "look at me, look at all this research I did" trap.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Any literature can be deep. I've read Fantasy and Science Fiction that forces the reader to consider what's possible, or what the true human condition is--and that's deep--without being inflated or pompous. It's the ability to bury hints that fulfill the discerning reader on multiple levels that makes a story "literary".

I agree 100%. Any literature - any story in general, really - can have depth and nuance. Just look at the topics and themes Pixar has managed to tackle in their films.

I guess I'm just wary of a standalone genre that defines itself as deep just for the sake of depth.

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought of fiction as belonging to either popular or literary. I wouldn't class either of those as genres, rather allocate novels into genres under those two broad styles.

Inarticulate Babbler

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Literary is supposed to be anti-genre, and maybe that's why the plots grow weaker--and it grates as pretentious.

Bouki46

Registered
Reaction score
Ummm .... I'm glad I asked? LOL.

Thank you all for your perspectives.

I find this particularly helpful at this point (*very* early in the game):

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brian
Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
The Bonesetter’s Daughter - Amy Tan
Shogun - James Clavell
Tai-Pan - James Clavell

Girl With a Pearl Earring? Really? There's hope for me then.;)

I don't necessarily believe literary readers/writers are "self important", but I believe they look for more in the literature they peruse. Escapist stories (which I prefer) don't usually make the reader work for the nuances. They are usually not loaded with allegory, and the metaphors are all spelled out. Literary stories have to be read on a word-level (almost a syllabic level) to get all of the nuances, to make clear what's happening, and the metaphors are in the scene, not the sentence. - Inarticulate Babbler

literary novels are usually 'deep', ideas are important.

Thanks for this!

But some agents/editors who represent/buy historical fiction will prefer either literary or commercial, so you will want to direct queries appropriately.

Perhaps I would have been better off asking what makes something "commercial" then? :)

Where on the literary/commercial spectrum would I find a book like Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon? Alice Walker's The Color Purple? Zadie Smith's White Teeth?