Diablo 3's Gold-Duplication Debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/334143-diablo-3-patch-1-08-rmah-gold-duping-debacle

Whoops.

TLDR: A bug went live that let you duplicate gold. The result was quadrillions worth of gold injected into the economy.

Bullet points quoted from the article:

* No Rollback. They say it would take too many man hours and it would also hurt legitimate players who were playing last night (although the overwhelming argument from those legitimate players is mostly that they would rather lose one night of work than deal with the repercussions of NOT doing a rollback).

* Blizzard has been able to identify and is actively banning anyone who used this exploit. Although they have not officially stated this, they are also temporarily suspending those who may have indirectly benefited from the gold duping (such as the runaway RMAH gem price inflation that occurred as a result). They are refunding many purchases, but the vast majority will probably not be refunded.

Bet they don't make THAT mistake again... ;)

Mr. GreyMan

Registered
Reaction score
The gold sick to gold farmer ratio was too high anyway. I don't know how they got it to work so well in WoW, or why I can't dup money at the ATM.

I'm wondering if the new Pathfinder MMORPG will have a finite amount of gold.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
In vanilla Warcraft gold was much more valuable than now. Also, around BC time they boosted quest rewards and lowered drops. It caused some inflation, but this wasn't a bad thing.

Also they implemented a number of security protocols and their passkey system, which helped a lot. A lot of gold farmers get their cash by hacking their clients' accounts. That put a damper on it at least.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. :) I actually don't know if the servers are back up yet. But that wasn't what you were going for here, I'm sure.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
There are still people playing Diablo 3?

I am. I find it relaxing when I need to let the back of my mind work on stuff. But I don't use the auction houses or play multiplayer. Ironically, the latest update added a few useful features (not counting this debacle). There's still a notice up that the auction houses are unavailable.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
But they've got you back to playing at least, right? That's good.

Mr. GreyMan

Registered
Reaction score
http://pastebin.com/YYPM4uQK
It was an INT rollover bug.

Pretty basic programing mistake, I expected better of Blizzard (not that I haven't made that same mistake a bunch of times).

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm expecting something major to be announced for D3 at Blizzcon. Possibly an expansion.
Probably going to get ignored in favor of Legacy of the Void and the new WoW expansion.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
http://pastebin.com/YYPM4uQK
It was an INT rollover bug.
Something similar happened to the first Ariane 5 launch. The results were explosively dramatic as well as having great financial cost.
Pretty basic programing mistake, I expected better of Blizzard (not that I haven't made that same mistake a bunch of times).
Such 'basic' programming mistakes can happen in amazingly "advanced" programs, such as those that launch rockets into space. If you want to lose sleep worrying about whether every device with a microcontroller might kill you, try reading comp.risks.

I read the link, this looks like a Freudian slip, missing the word 'no:"
After spending a few weeks on a Public Test Realm, where players volunteered to tested the patch to ensure that there were game-breaking exploits, the patch released successfully.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
There are still people playing Diablo 3?

I am.

I am. I find it relaxing when I need to let the back of my mind work on stuff. But I don't use the auction houses or play multiplayer. Ironically, the latest update added a few useful features (not counting this debacle). There's still a notice up that the auction houses are unavailable.

For the same reasons. I don't care for on-line play. I don't care enough about the game to spend time running or following auctions.

I just like beating the shit out of demons and undead. Best of all the game isn't broken at the higher levels. I almost never played past the lowest level of DII because I'd get seriously pwned. In DIII I can play at the higher levels.

I still don't care for the barbarian though. I enjoy the witch doctor the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.