Jaspideous January - 500 words/day, all genres welcome!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I was going to open this thread last night, but my brain was oatmeal.

This thread is for word count/daily writing/editing posts. General chat belongs in Life of Crime and Chocolate.

How did December go? Was 2014 kind to you, or did you bid it farewell with relish? What are your goals for January?

Welcome to 2015, everybody!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So here's me:

My original goals for December were to add 20,000 words to the WIP and edit the first 30,000. Then I acquired a hard deadline for a completed draft, so my goal became WRITE LIKE A MANIAC and at least get through Part 2. (For some reason my plots seem to lay themselves out in three chunks.)

I succeeded. It will need serious, serious editing, but I got through Part 2.

January goal: Finish the draft. I have to deliver it on March 1, and I want a full month to do the edits, because my first drafts are no so much novels as collections of somewhat-related vignettes that lack internal continuity.

I'm guessing I have about 30K left to finish this draft, so it's time to get cracking.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a fair bit done in December. I edited what was there of an old WIP and picked it up where I'd left off. Edited about 30,000 and it's now up to nearly 60,000. Carrying on with that and hoping to have a completed draft before the end of the month.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My goals for December were to finish and submit two stories, which I did. I also started two more.

January goals: Finish and submit the two in-flight stories.

Beyond that, not sure. Might return for another try at novel-writing. It's been helpful tackling many, shorter efforts. Might still have some mileage there.

2015 goal: Persuade an editor to buy something. Have not yet attempted bribery, but... :)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I expected to get nothing substantial done in December, and I've kept that vow.

We'll see about January. So far it's a big disappointment, so I'm not making any predictions yet.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's hoping that your January is better, asroc.

I did 415 words on the WIP tonight. I'm writing up to a point in the plot that I haven't completely figured out yet, though. Am hoping for some dream inspirations soon. :tongue

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Nice to read everyone's goals, as always! asroc, I hope your January uses its remaining days to think about what it's done, and to offer you a heartfelt apology.

1,497 tonight. I'll need to step up my game a bit, but I didn't sleep much last night, and my goodness I'm tired. Still, this puts me over 110K, which makes the whole thing feel more substantive.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't managed any writing/editing for a few months now (I blame chemo brain.:D)

In January I want to get back to editing my WIP. I have about 25,000 words to cut out.:Headbang:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I did pretty well in December -- I finished the edits on my WIP and turned it on the 1st on time. Now I'm absolutely terrified of what my editor will think (this same book -- well, a different incarnation of it -- was originally rejected). I believe it's a huge improvement, but time will tell. *twitches*

As for the year, the main goal was to finish said WIP and turn it in on time so yay!

For January, I'd like to start on a novella (and hopefully finish) and also get cracking on one of my languishing revisions. And come up with a plot for book 3 in my series.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Here's to the clearing up of chemo brain, muse!

And congratulations on the revision, Saoirse! I will cross all my fingers and toes for you.

2,149 tonight. It's a bit discontiguous, but hey, that's what revisions are for. :scared:

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Looks like everyone is doing great, and lots of goals met last year. Aside from being in hospital with a bad ticker and down for a few weeks after the bypass surgery, I am feeling much better and ready to get back to writing. (Also lost weight and had to buy new jeans today. Down a full size!)

First things first is to shoot for 20K this month on the current WIP. I also have a side project, short story, for a Sci/Fi pub that I want to finish and submit for February publication. Only a couple hundred words in and need at least 10K. We'll see.

Here's to a wordalicious* year for all!

*Yes, I just made that up. :D Wordalicious (adjective) - highly pleasing word count (example: Jane added so many words to her work in progress that it was a wordalicious day.)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Love wordalicious! How's the Plaza, Ken? ;)

I wrote a 700-word article for an art zine today. Then I started on a scene. Just 200 new words, mostly an edit.

No goals for me right now. I'm just happy when I write.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Hi everyone,

It's been a while! :hi:

Muse, glad you are doing better -- here's to the end of chemo brain!
Asroc, hope January goes better for you. (And thanks so much for the offline help!)
Saoirse, great news -- how exciting!
Ken, glad you are doing better!

For the past four months, everything took second place to just getting the revisions done on the WIP -- and they are now done. Many, many thanks to my wonderful beta readers, namatu and AC. And it's been lovely getting reacquainted over the past few weeks with normal life that doesn't include obsessively writing non-stop. (Which has meant time to actually read a few books -- now, there's an interesting concept.)

So for January, the big goals are to finish polishing a query letter and synopsis, to research agents, and then (deep breath) start sending out queries.

And of course, to also start plotting out book #2, because, gee, I'm so used to getting up at 5:00 am now, I need SOMETHING to work on.

Cheers, everyone

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a lot of progress for me at the moment. Edited two chapters and managed to cut 127 words. *Sigh*

In my defence, my chapters are really short.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night: Rewrote the last two scenes for clarity & brevity, and started the next. +117 words.

Tonight: Edits, then more on that scene. +92 words.

Not huge progress, but the thing felt like it was leaning in the wrong direction. Straighter now.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Here's to edits and straightening! :e2cheer:

Added 2,199 words tonight. And thanks to brainstorming with a ten-year-old (no, really), I think I have a better climax to the story. Love! Intrigue! Last-minute escape!! Or something like that. :) Now I just need to write it all out.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:waves to everyone:

:cheers progress:

I haven't written a word since I turned in my WIP to my editor. I want to start a novella, but I'm having trouble figuring out some important stuff. I'd like to start it this week.

I also needed a break. But now I'm getting the itch to write again.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
No writing tonight, just outlining. I have a (very) rough outline from here to the end.

I also lost some words because I found Scrivener was including some documents I didn't want it to.

I feel kind of like I'm building a bridge by laying boards in the air in front of me, and it's all twigs and twine, but I can't bolster the thing properly until I make all the little fragments reach the other side.

And I am trying very hard not to panic about the calendar, which seems to keep advancing.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hugs, Liz. I'm sorry about the scare -- it's a horrible feeling. As for the calendar, you can do this. :D

I didn't do anything last night but surf the internet and ponder my novella and a new idea. Naturally, muse wants to latch onto the new idea but I'm trying to keep her focused on the novella. I want to start it ASAP but have no first scene yet.

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote six words last night. And every one was a struggle. :tongue

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't written anything for a few days as my neighbour downstairs has been harassing me again so I've been dealing with police and the building managers and just have been so drained by the whole thing that I couldn't think about the WIP, and now I've kind of lost track of where I am in it.