Check In- What Are You Doing?

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, DragonHeart

spent the week with my in-laws, spending today with my parents. I feel more at home with my in-laws, to be honest. they have rough edges, as all families do, but my family has a lot of prejudice surrounding mental illness. I'm not functional right now, due to my mental illness. it's not a good combination.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sunday, Father's Day in the USA, and I'm listening to a towhee in a rodent trap outside my room. Debating whether to let it go or wait for the trapper guy to do it. (It doesn't seem to be hurting itself or caught, but it just won't stop rattling around... don't like messing with the guy's traps, though, and if he doesn't know it's catching towhees instead of rodents, that won't help future trap placement.)

I got out of chainsaw work yesterday due to us being out too late on a shopping trip, and the weather turning damp before we got home. (I refuse to operate electric yard maintenance equipment in wet weather. It's a quirk of mine, I suppose.) So I spent the late afternoon and evening reading. Right now, I'm poking about for a while before we head out for a Father's Day lunch at Denny's, which will probably be packed to the gills with other families, but that's not my call to make. I have my new Kindle in my purse, so I'll have something to do.

Away I go.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to figure out Father's Day.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Trying to figure out Father's Day for my husband. His celebration and gifts have been spread out over a couple of weeks, past and present, so I'm a bit confused about today. We have one kid coming over for dinner. I'm thinking some kind of pasta dish with chicken and shrimp since the focus of attention says he has no preference. Sausage would be good too but then I'll have to go to the store...

Very strange, I'll tell ya. I don't get people who "don't know" or "don't care." I could write you a long list of everything I want, gifts and food, at any time. Just ask me. Just ask!!!

Also, it's kinda sad to realize he is the only person I have left to honor on Father's Day. :(

Every time I hear people who say they "don't care" about what's for dinner or lunch or whatever, my mind automatically recalls the Rifftrax line from a dating short, where the girl offers food and her date says he doesn't care what they eat: "Okay, I'll make you a monkey ass sandwich. There - still so nonchalant?"

Just about to head out the door. Fingers crossed it's not a disaster...

Last edited:

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
Although it is Father's Day and I am no longer a part of that enjoyment, I have found ways to deal with it. This year I purchased a typewriter, vintage post WWII by a year or two which was sold at a very good price because it seemed to be broken. A blast of crud buster and bicycle chain cleaner and lube followed by a lot of manipulation and just general vocal encouragement yesterday. Followed by a day of just sitting, to allow all to soak in. I set the machine on my table, on top of a clean pet pee pad, and manipulated it for a few minutes.

Finally going through all the joints, lifts, rods, springs and whatever it finally moved. The machine slid the piece that was stuck. The parts moved, probably for the first time in decades. Jubilation and time for the martini to be refreshed.

So, now I am looking at a new martini while dabbing Q-Tips (trade mark symbol here) dipped in cleaner to finish up the typewriter.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Just celebrated father's day with my father in law. He's more than good enough to do the job.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Finishing up some late evening baking.

Trying something completely new to me, Pão de Queijo, aka Brazilian Cheese Bread. I think they're turning out well, but I need approval from an actual Brazilian before I put this recipe in rotation. So I'm going to make up a goody bag for V as a new apartment warming present. :) If he likes them I'll make it again next week for everyone. I don't do it every week but I always try to have something, usually American-style biscotti because it's easy and I have a good base recipe for it. But since more than half of my drivers are from Brazil, I'm feeling inspired to take a shot at some international treats. V is pretty safe as a guinea pig lol, I feel like he won't give me crap if I don't get it right on the first try.

Once I wrap up here I'm gonna get ready for bed, I decided tomorrow is the day that I come in to see the sort. That's something I don't ever see because my shift starts well after all the drivers have started their routes, but it is something I need to learn. That means waking up at 4 a.m. to be there for around 6. 12 hour work day, but OT is ok for this week with the ops manager away, and it's not like I'm sleeping much right now in light of recent events so why not.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Amblin' through on Sunday evening. My sense of time is all messed up with the perpetual overcast and late lunch.

We went out to Denny's to treat Dad to lunch, meeting my uncle. Afterwards, we drove to a small park on the nearby lake, and were further treated to about a dozen eagles showing off (and me without my tripod.) Then we hit Baskin-Robbins for desserts (and Dad's traditional banana split), a grocery store (not traditional, but what the hey), and home. Now I'm in that gray area where I'm not quite hungry yet, but if I don't eat something I'll probably be hungry by 11 PM or so. It's nuke-your-own-dinner night, and I'm wondering what I have on hand to nuke...

Off I go.

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
DragonHeart:

Just now got back from a trip to VA, so just now catching up on this thread.

I hope you are doing well...

reminds me of the year my dad passed away. A week before it happened, I was experimenting with a new software recording program on my laptop, and the multi-tracked music (guitar) I happened to record (which turned out beautifully), turned out to be the very recording we used at his funeral.

I still think of him every time I listen to that recording.

So I think I know what you are going through.

Ink-Pen-Paper:

Like you, I am one of the few people who still have a typewriter. Actually, it's my daughter's. I was going to get rid of it, but she thinks it's so cool, so I gave it to her. But it's still in my house. :)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Thanks RL, it's been hard on the whole family. It was very sudden and unexpected, and they had to make some really tough decisions in a very short time frame. I wasn't able to see him before the end so I think it's going to take awhile for reality to sink in for me.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I've been kinda throwing myself into work a lot more, I just hate the helpless feeling when dealing with stuff like that. Which is why I'm awake at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m. right now. Honestly I didn't really sleep much last night anyway so I might as well be useful. How useful I will be is up for debate but you don't need a brain to sling totes, just arms. Mine are still really sore, picked a bad weekend to start working out again, but I'll manage.

Drinking my coffee and yawning a lot. It's really only an hour earlier than I've been waking up lately. Funnily enough I'm usually both the first one awake and the last one to go to bed in my household these days. I only seem to need 7 hours of sleep, and I'm well used to making due with 6 or less from my old job.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Monday, and everyone seems to be off to a late start in this house. Had a series of long, strange, detailed dreams, but they'd mostly faded by the time I was mobile enough to write them down - then relatives woke up and started babbling in the other room, and that's it for the last of 'em...

Ergh.

Yeesh, they just won't shut up, will they?

Guess I'll wander off. Can't make plans without knowing if I'll be pressed into a store trip, yard work, or both.

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
Brightdreamer:

I know what you mean about relatives.

I tried to get rid of mine by selling them on eBay, but...nobody would buy them.

I even tried to pay people to take them away, but...no luck.

I take it that YOU wouldn't want to buy any...would you? :(

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
It's Monday. You know how I can tell? The condensate drain for our air conditioner is clogged, letting water back up and seep into two rooms. Plus it's time for the fireworks to get delivered for the two stands our church is running this year.. Happy happy joy joy.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Brightdreamer:

I know what you mean about relatives.

I tried to get rid of mine by selling them on eBay, but...nobody would buy them.

I even tried to pay people to take them away, but...no luck.

I take it that YOU wouldn't want to buy any...would you? :(

No thanks, I'm full up on family.

And I've had similar issues offloading them. At least one of mine counts as hazmat, though, which complicates things immensely... plus shipping costs are a pain in the rear.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Stuffing my face atm. I am hungry, I worked from 6-7:20 and didn't have time for a break. What a day. Absolute unmitigated disaster.

On the bright side V was very surprised and excited when I gave him his goody bag. :) He had another long day too, well honestly almost everyone did. Ironically my crush did not, he had absolutely no problems today lol.

I am so tired right now. Didn't get home until 8. Bet I won't have any problems sleeping tonight, that's for sure.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spent the day in a waiting room.

Last edited:

Paulsvault

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my first day at my new job, all the while wondering if an agent is reading my query and liking it (they haven't let me know yet if that's true). Now I'm sitting at home procrastinating on re-re-reading my MS.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Spent the day in the waiting room with a friend whose husband was having a very serious surgery. Others showed up and I had a great time hanging out and chatting all day. Which sounds wrong in a way. However, we all seemed to keep her attention diverted and her spirits up so I guess we did our job. :)

Sounds like you did your job, indeed. Best wishes to the friend's husband on recovery.

Finished my first day at my new job, all the while wondering if an agent is reading my query and liking it (they haven't let me know yet if that's true).

Well, they also haven't told you it's not true, so fingers crossed. And congrats on the new job!

Monday winds down, and all I have to show for it is... hmm, what did I do with my day? Not much. Poked at some editing. Did a little yard work. Would've done more, but the pole for our new electric-chainsaw-with-a-pole needs to be fixed before we can attach said chainsaw to said pole. (Other than that, it's a decent little chainsaw. Cuts nice, probably because it's a new, sharp chain.) Did the lazy dinner of chicken strip and fries. Watched Rifftrax maul Night of the Lepus. (Between their Rifftrax Live coupon and the extended Father's Day sale that ends tonight, we've been on a bit of a binge.) I'll probably watch some Lynda videos in a bit. Tomorrow I want to do some work on my review website. I'll probably suspend my monthly updates after June to make myself focus on the overhaul, which I keep procrastinating on even though I know it needs doing, preferably while HTML 5 and CSS3 are still relevant. (It's not like it's a hotbed of activity anyway... nobody's gonna miss a few monthly updates but me.) Also gotta start reading my last 2017 Challenge book soon, here.

Away I go.

ThreeDropsRed

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm sitting at my desk and working the first shift of a double. I've slept seven hours since Friday and I'm ready to crash.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to use this time of incredibly low motivation to do something still positive, even though I can't find the energy/drive to write due to personal reasons. I'm reading and reviewing a fellow writer's book from the same press I just signed a contract with to help him out, and I'm hoping that it will also help to get rid of my blues and replace them with something more useful. Here's hoping? :)

(I'm also going to go home from work today, get a beer, and watch some trashy television because it's been that sort of week so far already, and I think I've earned it. Haha.)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Waiting for my first coffee to finish brewing.

Probably not going to be a good day at work. Some dude from corporate is going to be there today, and of course dealing with the fallout from yesterday. Drivers are going to have way heavier loads than they should because of the whole fiasco and Tuesday is always a heavy day to begin with. I'm expecting multiple cargo blowouts which means unhappy drivers having to make two trips to finish their routes. And on top of that it's raining, which tends to cause delays and heavy traffic.

The other dispatcher really hoped I would volunteer to come in early again today. No thanks. One 13.5 hour day is enough for one week.

Ragtime

Slightly nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Nervous about the over-the-phone advising session I'm waiting on and feeling generally under the weather. Skimming through to find the vomit smiley is beyond my capacity at the moment.

Edit: On the upside, I went through an old fragment of mine, and it's actually enticing enough to start working on again.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Brightdreamer.

Last edited: