Courier New vs. Courier? Whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
I have Microsoft Word, I think the 07 version. In the font list it only has Courier New and not Courier. I know I need Courier for my manuscript. Are they they same thing? If not, how can I get Corier? Can you download it from the microsoft website?

Help?

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
The name "Courier New" is trademarked--both are flavors of the type style known generically as Courier. Under the right conditions, they look alike.

Courier New is a Truetype font, which means that it's defined as a series of lines and circles and can be scaled to any size. Courier is a fixed size font, optimized for use on older computer monitors where the dot size can be crude enough so that certain fancy fonts start to look misshapen. In almost every case, you want Courier New.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Courier, etc.

For a full discussion of the Courier issue, see my essay on my website (PDF format, with examples of many flavors of Courier).

EvPowers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.everettpowers.blogspot.com
For a full discussion of the Courier issue, see my essay on my website (PDF format, with examples of many flavors of Courier).

I know I'm resurrecting a dead post, but thanks for your essay, Comic. I found Courier 10 BT and have installed it. It was just what I've been looking for. I dislike Courier New and agree that the line spacing is off.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Courier New is fine, but simply does not print very dark, and is a little harde rto rea don a screen. Courier Dark, Courier Final Draft, Courier 10BT, as well as a couple of others, all print much better than Courier New.

I can't remember what it's called, but there's also a new Courier font that was created primarily for screenplays that looks amazing on paper, and on the screen.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason not to use this...new, improved and free.

http://quoteunquoteapps.com/courierprime/
This is a great link, thanks. But I have to ask -- are there any potential issues when using it to send Word docs to people? I know sometimes if the person opening the file doesn't have the font that you used it will default to something else, and so on. It does look better than Courier New, but I worry about it being less common in some situations.

Also since it is noticably different, would any editors/agents/whatever have an issue with the manuscript not being in Courier New? I know the main thing is that it's monospaced and easy to read, but yeah.

Thanks again -- have already installed.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Thanks all above for resurrecting this thread... very interesting article on the Courier variants, and Courier-Prime is quite nice. Gleefully added to my collection (...er, hoard... I have upward of 17,000 fonts, at last count. :eek: )

Status
Not open for further replies.