amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I do not understand that term. Please explain?

A farm share is a weekly share of farm produce that I get from a co-op of local farms. It's part of the whole community supported agriculture idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture

Basically, I gave a farming co-op a hunk of cash, and I get a box of stuff from mid April to mid November.

In this case, the eggs, the feta cheese, and the ramps (wild leeks) were all happy organic farm grown or foraged (in the case of the ramps) stuff.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, I gave a farming co-op a hunk of cash, and I get a box of stuff from mid April to mid November.

I end up moving down your way (long story, but a possibility) and you're going to have to hook me up with that. I would hate giving up my garden, and that seems like a good work-around.

Also, I can't grow feta.

*is jealous*

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
In this case, the eggs, the feta cheese, and the ramps (wild leeks) were all happy organic farm grown or foraged (in the case of the ramps) stuff.

I love these arrangements. Produce up here is a lot better than when I was growing up, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. We've got two of these set-ups running, one out of WA state, the other wholly local (though the variety is more limited and it starts producing about 6 weeks after the out of state one). It's fun, too, to learn to cook with new items that you might not have been exposed to before.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

We have a ton of those around here, but I've never bought in -- I figure it's hard enough maintaining the delusion that I don't mostly dislike vegetables without putting a lot of money on the line too.

Also, I can't grow feta.

*has been cleaning toddler room all morning. Is fairly certain they were managing to grow feta in there*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some extra bulbs, if you want to give it a try.

I'm pretty sure lack of bulbs is not the largest hurdle in my attempts to grow feta cheese, but I do appreciate the offer.

Mainly I need to drive down to the local whole foods type store and see what they have. I just keep forgetting they are down the road. No guarantees they have feta, mind you, but they should have locally produced goodies galore.

:chores:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

You guys are so sweet, I have to share birthday cake with you all (red velvet, naturally)

img_3202dd3.jpg

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
*has been cleaning toddler room all morning. Is fairly certain they were managing to grow feta in there*

Oh dear. That is not the feta we're looking for. :tongue

Thank you!

You guys are so sweet, I have to share birthday cake with you all (red velvet, naturally)

Naturally. :) Delish!

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Happy birthday, Junely! The cake looks lovely. :D

This morning, I finally started Krav Maga -- even though Hillz wouldn't come to Texas to go with me -- and it was badass. Really fun with lots of punching and kicking. And being sneaky. Apparently, Krav is all about being sneaky. I found this incredibly amusing.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
This morning, I finally started Krav Maga -- even though Hillz wouldn't come to Texas to go with me -- and it was badass. Really fun with lots of punching and kicking. And being sneaky. Apparently, Krav is all about being sneaky. I found this incredibly amusing.

I just might with an endorsement like that. I have long been intrigued by the art, science and violence of sneaky.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birfthday, Junely! Thankee for sharing your cake... Mm, tasty!

Hope it's a great day!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUNE!!!

Did you try to Skype me somethig the other day? I got a cryptic non message from you.

*starts chant of "nuke it! nuke it!" just to stir controversy*

:D

Actually, they've done studies which have shown that for some things, the microwave is one of the better options.

Those are mostly vegetables, though.

cook.gif

We'll need a link plz. Or a list at least.

I've got some extra bulbs, if you want to give it a try.

Goat 'bulbs'? Ewwww.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello newbie. It occurs to me we dont have any UF critters. Feel free to suggest one :)

We do have:

A bantha
Lioplurodon
Sentient couch
Hybrids of when the bantha experimented with the other two creatures.

Many many smibbles
A hat raptor
A kracken baby that wont grow up
...what am I forgetting? Luckily the dong garden isnt sentient...

Status
Not open for further replies.