The Bouncy Castle in Space

ColoradoKate

Registered
Reaction score
Happy many-birthdayers-this-month!

I read Dead End in Norvelt; thought it was big on voice, brilliant on character, and low on plot... a good read, though.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oy! It is shaping up to be a very long week. All the teachers and students and administrators are all sicky and grouchy. My amateur epidemiology work has detected at least five strains going around--week-long-little-boy-flu, Lingering Administrator's Lurgy, Repulsive Cold, Overworked Teacher Malaise, and Yes-You-Can-Go-To-The-Office-And-Call-Your-Mom-Just-Please-Don't-Barf-On-The-Floor-Itis. Also it is rainy. So far I am healthy, and only as crabby as someone who has had one hundred people crab at her all day.

How's bouncin', everybody? :D

monkeymum

Registered
Reaction score
My amateur epidemiology work has detected at least five strains going around--week-long-little-boy-flu, Lingering Administrator's Lurgy, Repulsive Cold, Overworked Teacher Malaise, and Yes-You-Can-Go-To-The-Office-And-Call-Your-Mom-Just-Please-Don't-Barf-On-The-Floor-Itis.

Yep - I've definitely got the Lingering Lurgy, where you get an irritating tickle in your throat which leads to 5 minutes of a hacking cough, followed by streaming eyes and an inability to speak...just as the phone rings or I'm about to go into an hour long meeting :rolleyes: (and it's raining here too).

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Kitty, how do you do it?

I've had my granddaughter since Saturday. We usually keep her on the weekends while mom works late hours on Saturday night. But Sunday afternoon she began running a fever. Can't go to the sitter's with a fever. So i kept her all day Monday. By Monday night I knew she needed an appointment with the pediatrician. Took her in yesterday morning. Diagnosis, Strep. Now she's on antiobiotics, but still running lots of fever. Then, of course, there's the barfing. And I'm sure I know what's coming next. But I'll have her at least most of today, too, until her mom gets off work. Tomorrow is her day off, so little one is going home this afternoon to give nana a rest. She wants to be held all the time, and I don't know how much more of Dora I can handle!

At least she's letting me use the computer for a couple of minutes, but her patience with it is running out.

Hope you don't catch anything. But pretend like you do and get grouchy back. Or put on a multicolored tutu and grab your wand and tell them you're putting a spell on them and they have to play nice.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow is her day off, so little one is going home this afternoon to give nana a rest. She wants to be held all the time, and I don't know how much more of Dora I can handle!

I hope you both get some good rest and are bright eyed and bushy tailed for the rest of the week.

The plague made the rounds here at the office last week. I've been choking down Zicam and echinacea tea like nobody's business. I've managed to get away with just a little tickle and some sinus congestion.

I just got this full-time job in January and for the first time in years and years, I get actual vacation days... and I'm not spending any of them sick by golly!

:)

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Hope you don't catch anything. But pretend like you do and get grouchy back. Or put on a multicolored tutu and grab your wand and tell them you're putting a spell on them and they have to play nice.

I think the latter would be absolutely hilarious, Sissy! Though I'm really sorry to hear about your grouchy peers and students, Kitty. I hope you stay well on top of it all.

Sissy, is your granddaughter able to swallow or keep anything down? I remember having strep as a kid. I couldn't swallow water, let alone any solids. Thankfully I didn't have nausea on top of it. That would have been just miserable! Here's a hug for your heroic grandma efforts. :Hug2: Take a deep breath and hang in there!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
ooh, yeah, it's that time of year, all right. We've got the cooties, the slap-cheek, and the Oh-my-god-the-sun-finally-came-out-please-don't-make-me-do-any-work-I-need-to-run-around-in-circles-right-now!!!!

For Lunar New Year I looked up the horoscopes. Turns out all my kinders were born in the year of the Dog. So that's why I've been calling them puppies all year!

p.s. Just remembered--one of the first graders has strep, too. Except one of his classmates misheard, went home and told Mom his best friend had a stroke...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puppies!!! :D But in general I find that a group of kindergartners is equivalent to a basket of puppies. You know, rolling around on the floor together, poor motor skills, chewing on stuff, squeaking.

Sickies continue to surround me, like the final moments of a zombie movie. The school has a few things available as general child chow and teacher kibble. One is pretzels and the other is tangerines. I've been eating loads of tangerines in the hopes of staving off disease. Working so far!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Puppies!!! :D But in general I find that a group of kindergartners is equivalent to a basket of puppies. You know, rolling around on the floor together, poor motor skills, chewing on stuff, squeaking.

Sickies continue to surround me, like the final moments of a zombie movie. The school has a few things available as general child chow and teacher kibble. One is pretzels and the other is tangerines. I've been eating loads of tangerines in the hopes of staving off disease. Working so far!

Take some zinc with it.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Me: All right, let's read the first word...
Child: *bangs on table*
Me: You need quiet hands.
Child: *bangs on table again*
Me: *Takes child's hand and continues talking to rest of group*
Child: Let me go!
Me: Can you keep your hand quiet?
Child: Will you give me five hours to think about it?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Some days it's good to not be a teacher.

You're all killing me with the stories. Isn't it strange how the phases of the moon affect kindergarten (or any class, actually) children? No wonder someone came up with the idea of werewolves.

Is it too late to try taking Vitamin C to stave off the possibility of Strep? I can't afford to get sick, because then I can't have my weekly shots, which makes it difficult to do nearly anything else.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Some days it's good to not be a teacher.

You're all killing me with the stories. Isn't it strange how the phases of the moon affect kindergarten (or any class, actually) children? No wonder someone came up with the idea of werewolves.

Is it too late to try taking Vitamin C to stave off the possibility of Strep? I can't afford to get sick, because then I can't have my weekly shots, which makes it difficult to do nearly anything else.

It's never too late for vitamin C. I often take it when I feel a sore throat or tickle coming on, usually when my kids have been sick. By next day, often I am 100% again. I literally never get colds or sicknesses develop beyond the first small symptoms, and I swear it is due to high doses of Vitamin C.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Vitamin D is also really important for fending off sickness. And tea. I haven't gotten sick at all this year, and I'm sure it's because I drink a lot of white tea and rooibos. Of course, I'm knocking on wood as I'm saying this. My daughter was sleeping in my bed last night. At 5 am she woke me up saying her tummy hurt. I didn't have time to do anything for her though--in the next instant she was throwing up...all over my bed.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, that's what happened with our little one. her mother was the same way - first sign of strep was always the upchucking, then cme the fever and the rest. My others have never been prone to strep, thank goodness.

but little princess went home to mama yesterday afternoon. She'd been on the antibiotic long enough that I don't think mom will catch it, knock on more wood.

I better go buy the Vit C today - and I have no idea what kind of tea you speak of, Spiral. rooibos? My knowledge of health foods consists of not dipping my oreos in whipped cream.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, I know where you're coming from about healthy foods. Though not dipping oreos in whipped cream can be so difficult, can't it? But as to rooibos, I do know a little of what it is. The name means red bush, and it's an herbal tea which comes from south Africa. It's supposed to be full of antioxidants and really good for you. It has a mild, sweet flavor, and reminds me a little of vanilla. I recommend trying it sometime. Stay healthy and take lots of vit c and zinc!

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Whaa? That's not good for you? I prefer to think of it as going towards my dairy needs for the day :D

Rooibos is also called African Red Bush. It's not really tea, but a plant from South Africa that has tons of antioxidants and other good for you stuff. It's really good for kids too, being that it's naturally caffeine-free. The tea shop I manage has lots of awesome flavors, like "amazing vanilla", "tangerine dream" and "mudslide" :)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - I got the vit c at wally world, but I guess I should have gone by the natural foods store to get some tea, but I didn't write down the name, and I can never remember anything (is there a tea for that)?

But I DID go to the library and they finally had some new books I've been waiting for. Picked up Okay for Now, Breadcrumbs, Bigger Than a Breadbox, and The Cheshire Cheese Cat, which sounded too strange to pass up.

Now if I could just finish the two novels I'm currently in the middle of - one by Amarie, which I'm finding very interesting, and one by Madeleine L'Engle (sorry if I misspelled her name) which I'm not so crazy about. That surprises me, but it's an early one, and the writing just isn't there for me. I hate that, because I usually love her books.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
But I DID go to the library and they finally had some new books I've been waiting for. Picked up Okay for Now, Breadcrumbs, Bigger Than a Breadbox, and The Cheshire Cheese Cat, which sounded too strange to pass up.

Ooh, that sounds like a great list! I'm interested to hear what you think of Bigger than a Breadbox. I loved Penny Dreadful (by the same author) but had some plot-logic issues with Breadbox.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - I got the vit c at wally world, but I guess I should have gone by the natural foods store to get some tea, but I didn't write down the name, and I can never remember anything (is there a tea for that)?

Rooibos isn't as fancy as all that. Unless you're looking for organic, most chain grocery stores stock at least some variety of it. The other great thing about it is that it's caffeine free.