Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, people can make up their own plots. They just can't sell them.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I should have added in, why don't pubs buy the original plots? Does this mean we will see a slew of YAs inspired by the classics over the next few years?

Quick! One of you YA writers should do a YA version of Lady Chatterley's Lover.

eta: I was only kidding when I wrote that, but now that I think about it, it would probably sell in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Wow, I had no idea the women of the Pit were such total babes! Sooooooo jealous! Anyone wanna come visit Chicago?

I'll actually be in Chicago the first weekend in May.

So... just got one of my most glowing passes on ALP yet. Editor claimed to love it but said it's not high concept enough to get her bosses to bite. *le sigh*

High concept can bite my ass. Seriously, I'm so sick of that bullshit.

I should have added in, why don't pubs buy the original plots? Does this mean we will see a slew of YAs inspired by the classics over the next few years?

Quick! One of you YA writers should do a YA version of Lady Chatterley's Lover.

eta: I was only kidding when I wrote that, but now that I think about it, it would probably sell in a heartbeat.

Not sure whether to LOL or *crai*.

The other day, I got to thinking about doing a modern YA rewrite of Wilkie Collins' No Name. You know, write in all the horrid, shameful details of bastardy and marriage-for-revenge that Wilkie left off-stage to avoid offending delicate Victorian sensibilities. Of course, knowing the current YA market, they'd probably want Noel Vanstone to be cast as a vampire. Hmmm...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I also have an under-read 18th century novel I want to rewrite as YA. I'd be better off with Lady Chatterley's Lover though.

I love Chicago. I used to go there a lot (work, cousins) but not lately.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
The other day, I got to thinking about doing a modern YA rewrite of Wilkie Collins' No Name. You know, write in all the horrid, shameful details of bastardy and marriage-for-revenge that Wilkie left off-stage to avoid offending delicate Victorian sensibilities. Of course, knowing the current YA market, they'd probably want Noel Vanstone to be cast as a vampire. Hmmm...

I've only read the two most well-known Wilkie Collins but when you posted this book title I went and looked him up. I had no idea he published so many books.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Must say, I prefer Five Guys. ;)

Five Guys, equally drool worthy
drool-smiley.gif

Snappy you're not far from me *whips out crystal ball* I seee an annnooyyinngg Canadian (slightly slack-jawed and yokel-ish) visiting your area in the futuuurreeee... *Snappy starts to run away and hide* HEY! get back here! ;)

You ladies are HOT! And tall! LOL. YAY!!! When? When? *stocks up on booze and chocolate*

(((Mario))) Ack. Who does something like that?

Wow, I had no idea the women of the Pit were such total babes! Sooooooo jealous! Anyone wanna come visit Chicago?

*raises hand for Chicago*

Norma, you have to come down my way too. I'm in NH, so we're almost neighbors - ha! And NH is so different from Cali that we might as well be different countries. (Actually, I'd love to go up your way. One day....)

NH? I've always wanted to visit. *Adds to travel list*

Is it possible that it's only Wednesday??? This week is going sooo slow.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Now you can also see the Hunger Games spinoffs going to auction and selling as preempts.

But what makes HG great (seems to me) is the social commentary, 1984 for reality T.V. angle. The spinofffs take the shocking parts of the plot and do a me-too thing.

If I were smart I'd be hammering away at a HG spinoff and submitting it immediately.

Instead I do low-concept MG girl's books.

Stubborn I am.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Just poking my head in to say gorgeous photo(s), guys!
Almost too bright and beautiful for the pit!:)

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my too "low concept" YA is a retelling of Persuasion with a pop star/music industry angle. So no. At least you won't see 'em if I'm writing 'em.* :tongue

Teri, YA dystopians are pretty dead. A huge glut was bought a year ago, and now it's almost impossible to find an agent with one or sell one.

*Editors seems to love my Persuasion angle. Apparently, Persuasion is everyone in publishing's favorite Austen novel. But either editors disagree with my specific take on it, or think it's not big enough to sell.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I think they're nuts. It's a great story all on its own, and the Persuasion angle is an excellent hook.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Noon, Pit

Had a Pittish morning as I lost big in court, but posted some good news uptop in the shiny realm. Hint: it begins with an "S" and ends with an "N"

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I began two consecutive posts with "wow." No wonder I can't get anything published... Wow.

You're so funny!

Haha, LPK! And wow!

Mario, that's crummy. People can be jerks.

(((Fourlittle))) It's hard to write with too much time and pressure. And the more you feel like you OUGHT to be writing, the harder it is. And job hunts take forever -- lots of time spent, and time elapsed too. Where I work, they often advertise a job and don't even call people in for interviews until three months later. They hire on a different schedule than that of job-seekers, who have pesky things like mortgages.

This is so true. If I'm completely stressed out over something, I can't write at all. I'm always amazed at the people who say writing is what got them through their divorce or the death of a parent or whatever.

And yes, jobs often advertise waaaay in advance. Why do they do that?

I love Wilkie. He's right up there with Anthony Trollope.

Love Trollope.

{{mario}} That really bites. Really.

Inkie -- i so love that pic of you in the tree!

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{DVI}}} That sounds nuts, but the biz is nuts. Everyone is chasing yesterday's sellers, but tomorrow's usually sneaks up on everyone.

Awesome pic of The Pit Babes.

It was great to meet Snappy last year, but she owes me a hangout because she had to bail early

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
:Hug2:

(((Steve)))

Thanks, Cat!

Thanks, DVI. It's one of the downside of being a litigator. Sometimes, you see the judge and know you're going to lose in the first 5 minutes, but you have to live through the next 2 hrs getting the crap beating out of you from the judge & opposing side.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It was great to meet Snappy last year, but she owes me a hangout because she had to bail early

This is true. I think WHEN you get an offer on your sub book, a celebratory hangout will be in order! ;) *white font to keep hellhounds at bay*

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Repped you, Red, but basically, I'd love to meet up if you have time. And you too Cricket, if you come back any time soon (or not so soon).

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Pit babes? You guys are so sweet haha :) I guess the hounds didn't chew on us too bad (yet)

((Mario)) what a bunch of asshats :(

((4lbs)) agree with the rest. Try not to stress (yeah I know easier said than done). Last year was a horrible one for me. Seriously. Its been 10 months since I've written anything - I just couldn't write while things were in that much turmoil. But the muse is slowly coming back. All that to say, I believe your muse will start speaking to you again when things get better - she isn't gone forever!

Norma, you have to come down my way too. I'm in NH, so we're almost neighbors - ha! And NH is so different from Cali that we might as well be different countries. (Actually, I'd love to go up your way. One day....)

Inky hellz yeah! You and Snapps are very close, I will def. visit some day. And if ever you come up here, you MUST let me know. I think you'd enjoy the maritime culture!

Why can't people think up their own plots?

This.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Steve}}} but yay for being on sub!

There's a girl who is on QT who has a YA Dystopian and was told, "I'm worried this is too similar to THG." Seriously, you can't win. Too similar, not similar enough. The whole thing is enough to drive one crazy. And trust me, I'm already there.

Today was Pittish in a myriad of ways that doesn't call for an explanation or hugs...it was just Pittish.

T-minus two days....

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs anyway, Cricket! Two more days.

Ugh, so tired of waiting. Although I did get an agent query R on one of the two Qs I sent last week. I have a low tolerance for those.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Kellion}}} Which of your projects was this for? Rep me the agent? I try to keep up, but, yeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.