yWriter question

lizbeth dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I tried doing a search for this but didn't find anything.

I'm using yWriter for my current WIP. When I export to Word, the auto-indent is hardly noticeable. How can I change it so the indents adjust to 0.5 inch in yWriter? (and please, please, please tell me I don't have to go in and adjust each paragraph)

Also, something is off with the spacing in the lines of text after export. On one line, the characters look crowded and then the next line, spaced farther apart. I have the document set to left-hand justified but it almost appears as if it is formatting so it justifies both sides.

It's been awhile since I used Word, so probably operator error.
Thanks for any help you can give the operator!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> When I export to Word, the auto-indent is hardly noticeable.

It's there, but it's small. Use Word's styles for indenting. It changes all the paragraphs at the same time. Styles is the correct way to standardize the formatting in your manuscript. Take time to learn how to use it and it will save you time and sweat down the line.

> On one line, the characters look crowded and then the next line, spaced farther apart.

Words are spaced out, or each character themselves? Because words can be spaced differently from one line to the next because Word attempts to keep everything justified (if this is the paragraph's settings). Long words will further this. One way to avoid this is to manually hyphen words with 'CTRL-' at syllables. This inserts an invisible '-' that can be used to split end-of-line words and ease up on the spacing. I think there is a way to store the modified word into a custom dictionary so that you don't have to repeat the procedure all over the manuscript; I never tried it.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
In the scene editor in ywriter you can change the indent by going to settings and Set paragraph indent. This will do that for the whole project.

As for the font spacing weird, some fonts like Courier do that..try changing the font...