Rep-box-window is doing some funny things.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to ask a question about the rep-point-boxes that usually come down when you click on the little scale.

About 5 AWers in the Obcessive Repper's Thread have noticed that the rep-box no longer appears.

The 5 that have noticed this are all taken to a whole separate window when we click on the scale. And if we have already repped that person, the screen doesn't go back to thread.

Any ideas what is going on?

This is a picture of the window that comes up. THanks

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z460/parumpdragon/Asecondscreen.png

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the threads I frequent daily has noted the same thing--but not for everyone, only for some. I had it happen once yesterday, but today all is normal.

(Feel free to rep me or anybody else experimentally. It does our hearts good.)

Maybe the browser matters? I'm on Firefox. How about you, parumpdragon?

Maryn, nosy

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We discussed this on ORPCC a little more after PD posted this.

The general consensus is that Firefox has no problem. IE and Chrome both have this problem.

Don't know if that'll help the AW Tech Ghods or not.

Deleted member 42

Please let me know what OS and what browser and browser version you're using; thanks

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I've got an older mac, I don't know what the others have - but I am running OS 10.6.8, and am on Safari. The browser version is 5.0.5

I know, it's time to upgrade or get a newer computer, but money is that lovely and evasive thing.

I do know that Don Evan Scott and Vince524 have Chrome, and they are having the same issues. Hope that helps a bit.

Oops -I sent this in PM too. :)

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm using chrome. (And now I have the song by Trace Atkins of the same name in my head.)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed this the other day but thought it was just an issue using the site on my iPhone, but possibly it was the Safari thing. I use Opera though on the laptop and it seems to have no problem.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
medi? i just sent you a pm on this too...

and NOW i find this thread.

sorry. you can ignore it and i'll just follow along in this thread.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not afraid to ask the dumb question others may be thinking. (Please don't let it be only me.) I know I have Firefox but how do I know what version?

Maryn, who has poor tech skills but other fine qualities, she hopes

Deleted member 42

When you have Firefox running, there is a menu item, usually in the first or second menu (I haven't used Windows in a Very Long Time) that says About Firefox (or whatever app).

On Macs, in the the Firefox menu.

Deleted member 42

At this point I don't actually KNOW what's going on--it would help if I could get it to happen for me :D

I don't even know if it is browser related.

I do know that it's an odd behavior related to the Javascript (NOT JAVA) that creates and displays the Rep window.

I'd be interested in knowing if the same thing happens with the Report A Post window.

If some of you who have the Rep problem would be willing to Report this post, I'd appreciate it.

And please say something nice to poor Alleycat so he'll know you're helping me test.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm running windows 7 with internet explorer 8.

i'll report the post.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
At this point I don't actually KNOW what's going on--it would help if I could get it to happen for me :D

I don't even know if it is browser related.

I do know that it's an odd behavior related to the Javascript (NOT JAVA) that creates and displays the Rep window.

I'd be interested in knowing if the same thing happens with the Report A Post window.

If some of you who have the Rep problem would be willing to Report this post, I'd appreciate it.

And please say something nice to poor Alleycat so he'll know you're helping me test.

same deal. when you click you are sent to a new window where you can report the post. once you do, you are sent back to the thread.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You're running Vista? You poor love......

LOL!

I'm on XP and IE and I'm also going to a seperate window and back to the thread on both Report and Rep.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I'm running Google Chrome 16.0.912.75 m (updated) on Windows 7.

Deleted member 42

Thanks guys; I think I know what's going on.

Hang on a bit.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've seen this happen once before accidentally. I can intentionally make it happen by right-clicking on the rep scales and selecting "open in new window." (ETA: I mean tab, but window works too) I've got a thumb button on my "Mousemand Wheel" mouse that does the same as the scrollwheel button (which is "open in new window" in Firefox), and it might have been me pushing that instead of the main button (force of habit, I use that thumb button a lot to open new tabs) that caused it for me.

Running WinXP and Firefox 9.0.1.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

It looks like a vBulletin template change is responsible for the new behavior of the create a Rep Comment window. The upside is that it's easier to see what you are writing, and it's much easier for those of our users relying on adaptive technology.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Please let me know what OS and what browser and browser version you're using; thanks

I'm using Chrome version 16.0.912.63 m.

Mine takes me to a separate window, but also takes me back to the thread when I'm done. It's not really a problem, especially since it works with the tab feature.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Oh cool! Now I can rep from my phone again. I was having the issue where the rep box would come up and as soon as I typed a letter it went away. Yesterday I sent a rep 1 letter at a time. I'd type, it disappeared. I'd scroll down, click on the scales, type the next letter, it disappeared and so on.

Today it works fine. I get taken to a new window, type my message, send, and I'm back in the thread. :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh cool! Now I can rep from my phone again. I was having the issue where the rep box would come up and as soon as I typed a letter it went away. Yesterday I sent a rep 1 letter at a time. I'd type, it disappeared. I'd scroll down, click on the scales, type the next letter, it disappeared and so on.

Today it works fine. I get taken to a new window, type my message, send, and I'm back in the thread. :)

Oooh, badass. I had this problem, too. I'll be glad to see it gone.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
The rep-box being a separate window is just too awkward on my computer.

And if you've already repped a spot and try to rep it again you have to click the 'back' button to get back to the thread.

Makes it just a bit annoying going on a rep-spree.