Dick Cheney's Warning. . . .

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
The ends don't justify the means.

Really? Going to war in WWII wasn't worth the freedom of the rest of the world? The American Revolution was wrong?

I can think of lots of examples which contradict this little gem of a saying.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the fact that it can and has.

Throughout history.

But no one likes to talk about that when their hearts are bleeding.

I don't really care WHAT happens to terrorists. But Obama's not saying he's going to take them all out for a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast and a swim at the Hyatt pool.

Torturing prisoners doesn't really accomplish anything, except for requiting the anger of Americans. It's not a reliable way to obtain information. If someone tells you your hair is purple, and they begin relentlessly torturing you until you agree, you will concede that your hair is purple.

I also don't get the mentality that we must treat fire with fire. Because history clearly proves THAT works..

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Going to war in WWII wasn't worth the freedom of the rest of the world? The American Revolution was wrong?

Yes, thank God the world is all fixed now.

Wait.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
HA!

That's pathetic.

Whats the common word between WWII and the Revolutionary War.

Hmm, here's a hint. It starts with a W...and it involves people who fight back.

Torture...torture doesn't even have that bare moral defense.

Sorry, but you still fail.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

I can think of lots of examples which contradict this little gem of a saying.

WWII Was a direct result of WWI. If we hadn't gotten involved in WWI, there never would have been a holocaust. WWI started because of an assassination in the midst of political turmoil. Pretty damn wrong.

The American Revolution was fought because an ugly and horrendous monarch didn't care to see his colonial possessions slip away. We declared Independence. Britain declared war. Pretty damn wrong.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
Very happy that there are so many who probably are not involved have it all figured out. Should share your wisdom with the administration who hasn't been involved either. I would sure feel better.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, Obama is continuing the warrantless eavesdropping bit, or at least trying to. Perhaps the program has more merit than people who just rant and rave about it, but know no facts about it, can ever know.

http://washingtonindependent.com/31944/obama-doj-defies-federal-judge

Obama might be closing Gitmo, but Bagram is still open, and will stay open under Obama's plan. It has more than double the detainees that Gitmo has.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/20/obama-backs-bush-on-bagra_n_168766.html

So doesn't this make Obama as evil as that vile Dick Cheney?

Well, Joe, what I see is not an adoption of Bush policy regarding wiretapping, but a court case in which the Obama administration does not want classified information publicized. There's nothing in the article to suggest that Obama means to continue warrantless wiretapping as a matter of policy. I think you're stretching to reach an intent.

Regarding Bagram: there are after all some significant differences between that and Gitmo. First of all, it's in Afghanistan, so I would liken it more to an Iraqi US military detention center, sans the torture. Second of all, the bulk of these people are presumably being detained because they were captured in combat, thus a threat to US combat forces in Afghanistan. Again, Bagram is an open military facility, not a secretive or unmonitored place in which somebody is grabbed off the street and flown in because of an assumed terrorist threat. Obama has stated that he plans on withdrawal from Iraq with an intention of putting more troops in Afghanistan. It stands to reason that we don't want to release the same people who have been engaged in combat against our troops, but that's a far cry from a Cuban "intelligence gathering" facility.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Good god, we couldn't get him to come out and talk to us in 8 years while he, you know, actually had the job of vice president. But now that he's gone, he's just the social butterfly isn't he?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Yep.
"Waaaaa....we're treating them bad. Waaaaaaaaa...let's be nice.....waaaaaa...we're just creating more."

"Waaaaaa,,,Bush and Cheney..and gitmo...waaaaaa..."

too much caffeine, or not enough?

Just embarrassing, the weak ass approach that got us into the mess with the terrorists in the first place is still embraced by those who were safe and protected for almost 8 full years under the watchful, diligent and STRONG push the envelope however far it needs to be pushed to keep people alive Bush administration.

Well done.

Anyone who doesn't think that torture has EVER worked in getting someone to confess or spill the beans is an absolute lunatic.

I'm not even saying it's the best method.

And you probably cried about Darth Vader and his wishy washy attitude at the end too?

A big part of America's strength and why people want to come here is that "We're the good guys." If we wanted to be in a military dictatorship/evil empire there are plenty of other places we could go.

As far as closing Gitmo, that's a waste of resources. They don't need to close it. They just need to allow in UN inspectors and the red cross and not do torture

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
"We're the good guys."

:roll:

God help the world if that's true.

Actually, if I had to think about a "good guy" nation, the first that comes to my mind is Canada.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for better or for worse, we are the "good guys" in super power status. The alternative is Russia or China. The countries comprising the EU and NATO prefer the US as the dominant power over our super power counterparts. So do plenty of emerging nations, and so do I. Still, the US has made a very disappointing showing in recent history. If the trend isn't reversed, I hope a more ethical country can carry the torch.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Paraphrased, Ben Franklin,

"Those who would give up liberty for for freedom, deserve neither."

Ben, i think would have disagreed with Dick.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
I think his multiple cardiopulmonary bypasses have taken a toll on his mental faculties. It's not an uncommon occurrence.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Regarding Bagram: there are after all some significant differences between that and Gitmo. First of all, it's in Afghanistan, so I would liken it more to an Iraqi US military detention center, sans the torture. Second of all, the bulk of these people are presumably being detained because they were captured in combat, thus a threat to US combat forces in Afghanistan. Again, Bagram is an open military facility, not a secretive or unmonitored place in which somebody is grabbed off the street and flown in because of an assumed terrorist threat. Obama has stated that he plans on withdrawal from Iraq with an intention of putting more troops in Afghanistan. It stands to reason that we don't want to release the same people who have been engaged in combat against our troops, but that's a far cry from a Cuban "intelligence gathering" facility.

This gobbledygook makes absolutely no sense. Gitmo is a US military base overseas, Bagram is a US military base overseas. Your attempts to make them seem different is comical at best.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This gobbledygook makes absolutely no sense. Gitmo is a US military base overseas, Bagram is a US military base overseas. Your attempts to make them seem different is comical at best.

I love it when you're dismissive, Joe. Why don't you just not reply when you don't feel like reading the post?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I read the post, it just makes no sense.

Have you ever been on a military base? I have, I've lived on them.

Have you ever been on an overseas US military base? I have, I've lived on them.

Have you ever been to Gitmo? I have.

Given those experiences, your post makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised people take seriously the words of someone who shot his hunting partner in the face.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read the post, it just makes no sense.

Have you ever been on a military base? I have, I've lived on them.

Have you ever been on an overseas US military base? I have, I've lived on them.

Have you ever been to Gitmo? I have.

Given those experiences, your post makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I don't care where you've been, Joe. You're not making an adequate correlation between the two. But of course that might be because I misspoke to begin with. So there.