Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no Carleree, you definitely need a hug. :Hug2:

All this bad luck can only mean one thing, good luck on the horizon!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Carleree, sounds like you need a shot of that whiskey that was going around. If you could take it with your antibiotics, of course. Sorry you're hitting bad luck. At least you've got three fulls balancing things out a little. I hope you feel better soon.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, sorry about the strep. Not fun.

(A little unsolicited advice -- ignore if you wish. I recommend having everyone tested after the ten days of antibiotics, even if feeling better. My kids once had cases of strep that didn't clear up after the usual antibiotics prescribed. The doctor prescribed a stronger type. Retesting still showed an infection. The doctor did extensive research and prescribed a third. The pharmacy didn't have it and had to special order.

Scene -- suburban pharmacy.
Me, to woman behind counter: "Prescriptions for [names], please."
Woman: "Uh, wait here."
Pharmacist, coming out to see me: "Here are the prescriptions. Do you mind my asking -- what do your children have?"
Folks in line back away from me.

Back home, I looked at information about the drug. It's usually used to treat leprosy and a couple strange tropical diseases. But it finally cleared up the strep.)

I wish I'd hear from this editor about my NF. He said he'd get to my partial in one or two weeks and it's been four, now. I'm not sure if that is good, bad, or indifferent news.

Meanwhile, I'm psyching myself up to go to the oral surgeon in an hour. In the past, if I had to get stuff done, it would be done fairly quickly. I didn't have all this time to dwell on it. That, plus right now my mouth feels fine. If I were in pain, it would be much easier to go through this.

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
Hathor, that was a very funny story about your kids getting throat leprosy :)

I'm in almost the same boat. The *dream* agent who requested my full on 1/3 usually takes about 2 weeks to reply (according the Query Tracker). His slowest response time ever is 39 days which was yesterday for me.

Rather than trying to read too much into it, I'm going with "indifferent" as you said.

Also, 2 more days until the ABNA first round results...

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Back from oral surgery -- went better than I feared. He gave me lots of time to get numb and the surgery itself was fairly quick. Actually, given the effect the nitrous oxide was having on me, I was a little disappointed.

What he cut out didn't look bad to him. I'll know the results of the biopsy in 1 to 3 weeks. He told me not to worry.

The worst is supposed to happen when the novocaine wears off. Hasn't yet.

My fiction got down to 104,000 words (so 12,000 words were cut). I can hardly believe it. I'm going to read though it now for continuity and the like. I don't think there's any more tightening I can do at this point. Further cuts would get into substance.

Maybe my enjoyment of my own writing will cut the edge off the pain when it hits :Shrug:

About waiting -- I figure if my book was not right for this editor he would let me know fairly quickly. (I had a referral.) With more time going by, he may be thinking about it, suggesting changes, asking others he works with, or the like. Of course, he may just be busy. I imagine dealing with books already contracted for would be his top priority.

Hard not to nudge. "Are you done yet? Huh, huh? What do you think?"

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
GLad your surgery went well, Hathor. We did biopsies when I worked in the clinic. All of them turned out to be nothing.

And thank you all for the well wishes and good thoughts. At the moment my daughter is suffering the most, me a close second because my son is asking for x-box every fifteen seconds. :p

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Hathor - you made it!

Carleree, DAMN girl! Sending whisky, ski passes, leprosy antibiotics and umm, Clive Owen!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
*smiles* I have the best friends ever.

Here, I thought I had ;)

I didn't get sent Clive Owen, though. Maybe once I recuperate?

My husband's pretty nice, though. He made me homemade soup for lunch.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Please allow me a few minutes of bitchiness. I am taking evil pleasure in watching crappy entries that got chosen (over mine, equally crappy in its own way) get ignored in the Cupids' for writers contest. Hahahahahha!

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, Polly! I'm doing the same thing and I didn't even make the first round. I get this terrible evil glee everytime I see and entry with zero comments. I swear, this whole "trying to get a book published" has turned me into an awful awful person.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Ah well, I've always been this terrible. Years of acting school will do that to a person.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ah well, I've always been this terrible. Years of acting school will do that to a person.

I'd say something about the effect of years in law school, but I don't want to hurt Carleree's throat.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Here, I thought I had ;)

I didn't get sent Clive Owen, though. Maybe once I recuperate?

My husband's pretty nice, though. He made me homemade soup for lunch.

That's okay, she didn't get Clive Owen either. The clerk was dyslexic, so the order got mixed up and she got dog cages instead.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Carleree, too bad you don't have the pain medicine I've got. I'm feeling next to nothing. Thinking next to nothing, too. Perhaps I shouldn't be posting.

At least UPS didn't try to sneak those dog cages on to my porch today.

Oops, that was a non sequitur, wasn't it?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it is one of those Signs moments where you get all these dog cages out of no where, and then you are overrun by rabid dogs, luckily, you already have the cages!!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad she keeps sending the cages back if that's the case Syd.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True. Now there is nothing to stop the rabid dogs.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
True. Now there is nothing to stop the rabid dogs.

I'll just stay inside with my pain medication. The dogs can go for the damn deer that keep destroying my new, allegedly "deer-resistant" landscaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.