Research Skills

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if there's an old thread somewhere on this.

They're important for every genre--even in fantasy, you can't make everything up--but especially for us. So what are the best research tips and techniques you've picked up along the way?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pics and videos on Google Maps and Google Earth. Travelblog.org and Tripadvisor.com. Write like you've been there! :) But don't overdo it.

For non-fic materials (for background for fiction or sources for non-fic) university libraries usually group books by subject. An online card catalog search for "Civil War Medicine" only turned up one useful hit on the first four pages, but there were seven or eight great books on the shelf right next to it that didn't show up in the online search.

Deleted member 42

Check bibliographies, and footnotes. Look for works by the same authors. Don't forget academic journals. The Reference librarian is your friend.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read read and read some more.

Get at least three sources (preferrably NOT derived from the same original source, if possible) to read and critically compare. Everyone has a different viewpoint and usually you can glimpse the truth if you have at least three sources.

And remember that wikipedia is NOT a primary source, but can be a good start to finding other sources.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Check bibliographies, and footnotes. Look for works by the same authors. Don't forget academic journals. The Reference librarian is your friend.

Yep.

I also write about locations close to home. Save on $$$ when I am doing my research. :)

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Don't assume that what you see on Google Maps and Google Earth now is what it looked like hundreds of years ago though. Although google earth can be a good source. Local historical societies can be good sources.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
The internet is your friend. It shouldn't be a primary source, but a quick google search can lead you to primary sources by giving you basic information (even if the dates/specifics are wrong, websites will tell you what you're looking for when you go to the library). It also will help in the finding of primary sources (books, journals, lectures, academic papers). And finally, just because something isn't published doesn't mean the research isn't good. Most universities keep their previous Ph.D., MA, even some undergrad theses and dissertations on electronic file, and they are well worth looking through.

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
Go to academic library websites. Check out their various resources (the ones that aren't by subscription). If you can get to the academic library in person, even better, because then you can use all of their subscriptions to access various academic websites - or better yet, get a card and check out books.

I second ChrisP's call to find one or two books (aka, find out the general call number for what you're interested in) then check out what's on the shelves around them. I almost always find great sources that way.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
If you like ancient Egypt, the only research tip you really need is Joyce Tyldesley. Her books are the bomb.

Beyond that, in a more general sense, I've found that there are some goldmine web sites out there on various historical subjects. Really in-depth ones, usually put together by university students or professors, that delve thoroughly into specific subjects. I've found such sites on a variety of historical subjects, but a great example of what I'm talking about is Digital Egypt. Find sites like these, bookmark them, and love them forever and ever.

I love doing book research, but we're also so lucky to live in an era that allows us such an enormous access to information. Just like with book research, though, when doing web research you've got to check and verify your facts.

MTP

Registered
Reaction score
The need for verisimilitude is one of the main features of historical fiction that distinguishes it from historical non-fiction, particularly of the academic, non-narrative type. The reader needs to feel he or she is living the history alongside the characters.

Consequently, primary sources written by people living through the events you're writing about, such as diaries, journals, letters, etc., are crucial to complement your background research in secondary sources like books, websites, etc. Not only do they give you a first-person account of your subject matter, they also reveal the mindset and "voice" of people from the time period. Many such primary sources may be available exclusively in local historical societies and archives.

It's a bit of a thrill, too, to do this type of research and hold in your hand the actual pieces of paper used by your character or someone on whom your character is based. That alone can really bring your subject matter home.

Another great way to pursue verisimilitude is living history or reenactment events. Re-enactors typically have researched their time period and "characters" exhaustively. Beyond the familiar battle reenactments, many living history organizations and museums will hold workshops, demonstrations or even encampment weekends that anyone can attend and participate directly in historical activities like cooking, farming, sewing, scouting, etc.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Another great way to pursue verisimilitude is living history or reenactment events. Re-enactors typically have researched their time period and "characters" exhaustively.
On a side note, keep these things in mind when planning a book launch. I invited a local medieval club to come in costume and bring along some of their period pieces. It was great fun for those who attended.

Ariella

Registered
Reaction score
When googling keywords or looking at indices, think of all the synonyms that your subject might fall under. I find information on trial by combat not just under "trial by combat," but also under approver, battle, champion, combat, duel, judicial combat, judicial duel, ordeal of battle, trial by battle, and wager of battle.

If English-language sources aren't helping, start plugging in words from other languages. Even if you don't read the language, you can sometimes turn up useful pictures or footnotes that way.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
I just started an early 20th century WIP, so it's easy to get one primary source: newspapers. Reading NYT online for free, and considering a fee service to get access to a couple other cities of interest.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I just started an early 20th century WIP, so it's easy to get one primary source: newspapers. Reading NYT online for free, and considering a fee service to get access to a couple other cities of interest.

I'm all over this one. I especially like visiting the area near/in where I'm writing about, going to the library, and copying oodles of stuff. Ads for stores, local products, etc. give it just the right flavor so if locals pick it up, they know you did your research.

I was doing a lot of this for my genealogy, then it became really easy to just incorporate what I knew about a place with a story that had caught my fancy.

TameraLynnKraft

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordsharpeners.wordpress.com
I use the advanced search and Googlebooks features on Google. I also visit the places. If there are colleges or muesuems where my location is, I call or visit the people in charge and ask a lot of questions. They also can direct me to some great resources. Newspapers are also a good resource.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
I'm all over this one. I especially like visiting the area near/in where I'm writing about, going to the library, and copying oodles of stuff. Ads for stores, local products, etc. give it just the right flavor so if locals pick it up, they know you did your research.

It's also great for getting into the speech patterns of the period, isn't it?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
It's also great for getting into the speech patterns of the period, isn't it?

Definitely! :D Like, "Miss Morgan, I would be most pleased if you would allow me to buy you an egg cream."

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org) has put tons of out-of-copyright books up online. It's especially useful if you want a book written between the 17th and early 20th centuries.

Youtube can be useful to provide the visuals/audio. For example, I found out how to fire a flintlock and what an Ottoman marching band sounds like.

MelissaAnne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissamarsh.net
Since I write during the 1940s, I've found old magazines to be a treasure-trove of information. I love getting copies of LIFE, Women's Day, Liberty, YANK, Redbook, and others. The ads are incredible.

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
Google books, especially if it's out of print or unable to get it from the library. Project Gutenberg too, is wonderful--I found Isabella Bird's Unbeaten Tracks in Japan, which has really helped me to see what the country side of Japan was like in the late 1800s--just a decade or so before my story takes place.

Google Earth and images and videos on YouTube have helped too, especially since I haven't actually travelled to the area where my book takes place (and probably won't any time soon). I also plan on trying to contact the local historical society in the village my book is set in (although I am going to try and get some help from a friend who can translate for me).

I've got a lot I have to do in order to make the culture accurate and I'm slightly overwhelmed by it all...

Deleted member 42

Since I write during the 1940s, I've found old magazines to be a treasure-trove of information. I love getting copies of LIFE, Women's Day, Liberty, YANK, Redbook, and others. The ads are incredible.

Keep in mind that the Library of Congress and Life Magazine have made photographs, with provenance, available for viewing on Flickr.

MelissaAnne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissamarsh.net
Oh yes, I've seen those, too. :) But I am in love with sitting on my couch and thumbing through these magazines. I like to hold them in my hands instead of look at them on a computer screen. I just bought seven magazines yeterday from the 1930s through 1940s and picked all of them up for $26. It was like I hit the jackpot.

It's a dangerous new hobby!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I've seen those, too. :) But I am in love with sitting on my couch and thumbing through these magazines. I like to hold them in my hands instead of look at them on a computer screen. I just bought seven magazines yeterday from the 1930s through 1940s and picked all of them up for $26. It was like I hit the jackpot.

Ha. My Dad's got a load of Life magazines from WW2. I could spend hours looking at them, especially the adverts. Fascinating!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score

That sounds like a fabulous find. I'm completely jealous!