What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HombreMoreno

Registered
Reaction score
I started SHELTER by Harlan Coben. It's good so far, but I can definitely tell that Harlan's publisher made him tone down the cursing, violence, etc.

Always seems silly. As if teenagers don't see 10x worse in any given movie theater?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished HIDDEN by Miriam Halahmy, which is the first in a trilogy set on Hayling Island, near Portsmouth. It's an 'issue' book in the sense that the plot revolves around refugees and immigrants but it's well constructed and it does make you think.

Not sure what I'm going to read next.

MM

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Finished Rules of Attraction and loved it. I think I'm going to give Firelight a try next. It's funny how cautious I've become regarding anything paranormal / fantasy recently. I've had a couple books rub me the wrong way and I've really been enjoying other stuff so it's made me a bit more critical of paranormal / fantasy stories since my tastes as a reader have become more widespread. We shall see how it goes. :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I finished HARMONIC FEEDBACK by Tara Kelly. I really liked the characters and the relationships. I wasn't so fond of the climax, but overall I really liked the book.

Now reading THE FALSE PRINCESS by Eilis O'Neal

Last edited:

MadSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
meganayscue.blogspot.com
I'm reading RIPPLER by Cidney Swanson. I'll be honest, it really isn't my cup of tea, but I never start something and not finish it unless it's egregiously bad, so I'm biting my tongue and pushing through.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I attempted "D1vergent". Writing is strong but the premise is waaaaay too ridonkulous for me to read on. Five faction society? Sorry, no way. And, it's incredibly rare to have affinity for two or more factions? No smart people are honest? No selfless people are brave? Say what? 20% of teenage girls are not permitted to look in the mirror or do anything for their appearance? Gah!

Now reading "Bestest. Ramadan. Ever." so far very interesting :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I attempted "D1vergent". Writing is strong but the premise is waaaaay too ridonkulous for me to read on. Five faction society? Sorry, no way. And, it's incredibly rare to have affinity for two or more factions? No smart people are honest? No selfless people are brave? Say what? 20% of teenage girls are not permitted to look in the mirror or do anything for their appearance? Gah!

Now reading "Bestest. Ramadan. Ever." so far very interesting :)

Oh, I have that one on my request list - I think I'm about number 6 by now. :)

I finished Beauty Queens tonight - LOVED the satire. Didn't love the length so much. I feel like it should have been shaved by at least 100 pages

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which I adored. Next up is The Near Witch, since everyone here is raving about it!

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I read The Catcher in the Rye for the first time since high school...... Why is this a classic? I thought it was total crap. :\ No wait..

"So I wanted to read one of the supposed goddamn classics, so what I did was, I went to the goddamn library. But there were all these empty shelves because they were remodeling or something. It was depressing, it really was. So what I did was, I got The Catcher in the Rye and I brought it home and started reading it. I mean it. I really wanted to like it so I just sat there reading it. I really did. It's about this ungrateful miserable sonufabitch of a kid who hates everything. It bored the hell out of me, it really did. I thought it was a pile of crap, if you want to know the truth."

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DNF.

I got more than half-way through, and the story hadn't changed at all. Meaning, there was absolutely no depth to this story, no unexpected turns in the plot, no character development, no nothing. In a word, generic. It's just the same thing over and over and over again. There's only so much of that I can take. And while the MC's past experiences that led her to this suicidal state are admittedly heart-wrenching, it's entirely predictable.

Ugh. Sorry. Has anyone else read this? Please tell me there is some grand unique thing I'm going to miss by not finishing it. Otherwise, back to the library it goes.

It's my least favorite of her novels so far, but I finished it and thought it was okay (but I hated the ending). I think it's hard to write a dynamic story about someone who's depressed, anhedonic, and not allowed to go anywhere or do anything.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading D£LIRIUM atm, borrowed from a very enthusiastic friend. I've only read a couple of chapters, but I'm really into it, which confused me as hearing plenty of bad reviews on here, I was expecting it to be pretty rubbish. Unless it gets worse later on...

I've also just ordered ORDINARY PEOPLE and THE RAG AND BONE SHOP from Amazon, so hopefully they will arrive soon - the only reason i was reading D£LIRIUM was because I've read every book in the house, and all the decent ones in my local, TINY libraries.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed DEL1RIUM, and I know somebody else here shared my love for it. You're not alone!

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Across the Universe, and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I highly recommend it!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson and it was HOLY MOTHER EFFING INSANELY AWESOMELY RIDICULOUSLY UNBELIEVABLY FAN.TASTIC. Truly one of the best books I've ever read.

Now I'm going to read Looking for Alaska by John Green and even though i've heard it's really good, i'm in that strange sort of high of I-just-read-the-most-awesome-book-ever-how-on-earth-can-another-book-satisfy-me-the-same-way phase.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS. But it's due in the library in a few days, so it better hook me fast.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, I was hooked w/in the first couple of pages!

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Mission by Jason Myers. Honestly, not my favourite read. There are all these references to loving Palahniuk and him being a transformative author, but the work itself reads more early Bret Easton Ellis (as in Less than Zero). Which is fine, I like those books, but I feel as if this doesn't create the same emotional disconnect as Ellis does (for me as a reader, anyway, Ellis is sort of numbing) and it kind of loses some...impact? because of that.

Other than that, the voice is pretty good. It's the sort of rough and raw voice that you can feel. It's not a bad book, I think. Just not my thing.

I'm also reading BELOVED by Toni Morrison which is not YA...but wow. I'll be forever jealous of her prose and story-telling skills.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar now (Australian). Seriously awesome so far.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore *cough* James Frey *cough*. We'll see how ridiculous this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.