Jactancy January 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
2361 today.

muse - yep, coffee is now the official sponser of my writing.

Zelenka - Good luck with the beta and the competition.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
muse & osg - It was running horribly slow. To the point where I couldn't do anything. Ran a virus/malware scan and everything come up clean. Now it's running fine. Prolly a glitch. And yeah -- I have about 6 or 7 backups of everything at any given time, so I'm covered (I'm, uh, quite anal about my backups).

Glad to hear it. Hope it behaves itself from now on... :)

2361 today.

Awesome wordage! :partyguy:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote some words last night, re-doing an early scene to shift the POV. Today I'm prepared to start working out my timeline issue in the ms itself rather than in a notebook to be inserted later.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Little bit scared but I have finally posted for a beta for the first part of the book (basically the stuff I'm going to send in to the competition). I find asking for betas so scary, but I think this would be better than me rewriting it eighteen million times.

So no real wordage today, just that.

Good for you, Zelenka. :hooray: You're braver than I am. Asking for Beta's still scares the living daylights outta me.

muse & osg - It was running horribly slow. To the point where I couldn't do anything. Ran a virus/malware scan and everything come up clean. Now it's running fine. Prolly a glitch. And yeah -- I have about 6 or 7 backups of everything at any given time, so I'm covered (I'm, uh, quite anal about my backups).

Trust me, you can never be too anal where backups are concerned. Glad the comp is running better today.

2361 today.

muse - yep, coffee is now the official sponser of my writing.

Looks like that coffee is working.;)

I wrote some words last night, re-doing an early scene to shift the POV. Today I'm prepared to start working out my timeline issue in the ms itself rather than in a notebook to be inserted later.

Good luck with the timeline, Namatu.

I'm not sure how many words I've done today - I've written, deleted, edited, deleted... Maybe I should count deleted text?:tongue

Tonight I've printed a few pages out to work on. Sometimes working off a hard copy can kick start the creative juices (she says, hopefully.:D)

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
464 today. Was in a full flow but then somebody decided to enter my writing space, distract me and end up ruining all my creativity. Hmm...

Going aim for 2k possibly tomorrow and finish off this chapter.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
IAMWRITER - That happens to me waaaay too often. Hugs.

1,113 words today. I'm not entirely sure where I am going with this, but it's progress.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Great work, everyone! muse, I definitely think deleted text should count. There is a stage at which word count is not a proper indicator of progress. Sometimes negative counts are the best.

Managed 1112 today. (How cool would it have been, Saoirse, if I had written just one more word? :D)

Last edited:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Early start today. Yawn.

Three chapters amended.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Got somewhere around 500 last night. Not sure if I'll keep 'em. It's nice character stuff but it doesn't move the story forward. I don't mind that sort of thing but at the 20k mark I wonder if it's too soon to drop the pace like that.

Great wordage, everyone!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great work, everyone! muse, I definitely think deleted text should count. There is a stage at which word count is not a proper indicator of progress. Sometimes negative counts are the best.

I agree, and going by that, today I've had by best count ever.:D

I decided to move away from the WIP and look at submitting my completed novel. I had forgotten how convoluted the submissions process can be and now my head hurts.:cry:

If anyone has a kindly grandmother editor out there, I could really do with one right at the moment.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Awesome wordage, everyone! I've been suffering from the dreaded "Block" for the past couple of days. It finally broke to some extent today and I got a whopping 200 words. Oh well, words is words, and I did finish the scene. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Scrivener says 3,949, but I have no idea where it's getting these counts from these days. Yesterday I rewrote a chapter (again) but this time I think I actually have the sidekick character sorted.

Now that the water's stopped dripping from my ceiling (despite it being dry for once outside) I hope I can get some more words tonight.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Excellent progress, everybody!

1116 tonight. It's going ok...but boy, I'm getting exhausted, mostly because I'm now on the road 2 hours each day I wasn't before. Hard to do much when I get home besides collapse!

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
707 and bringing the chapter to a close. Its not been a long chapter in size length but its been a draining one to write, although it picked up near the end.

Aiming to do the next chapter, around 4k, over the weekend.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
No words today. Started off bad when they decided to move my cubicle to another area, and the one in that area to the front. They started at 9 this morning and just now finished. I still can't move in as the cleaning crew has to do their thing before I can do so. In the interim, I'm stuck in a smaller spot where everyone can look over my shoulder! So absolutely zero privacy.:flag:

Hoping for words tonight when I get home.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Ken, that sounds unpleasant. I'm not a big fan of cubes under the best of circumstances. And boy, I can't write when people can read over my shoulder. My family knows better than to try, but you can't count on strangers!

1029 tonight. One more night, maybe two, and I'll be done with this section. After that, I have some epilogue-ish stuff to do, and the first draft will be done. Of course, I've changed so much since I started it that revision is going to mean wholesale rewrites for most of it. :e2thud:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
1,720 today on the main WIP, but it was like drawing teeth, so I decided to let the thing sit for a day or so, and to avoid the 'ditch the WIP for a new, shiny idea' syndrome, I'm writing something totally silly.

It's a TV tie-in I've had an idea for for ages, but can only put forward to the publishers if I have credits to my name already. So it'll probably never go anywhere but it is fairly easy to write and very escapist, so I don't care. Call it 'fan fiction' even, don't care. It's been like a holiday! and, 6,159 words are not to be sniffed at...