Not open for further replies.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
The day Coca-Cola stops advertising is the day the rest of us can THINK about it."

Man, I'm tagging Coke, watch and see. "Ben Affleck and I were hanging out in Hollywood last Halloween drinking Coke and watching You Tube videos of Britney Spears. . ."

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Jeanne, just so you know, and I think you'll be very proud, that I have the most asinine tags on my blognal and I actually hit the character maximum on one of them and had to keep whittling it down to get under. I was short on tags so I just started pulling random words out of the text itself. I think I have "horse head" as one of them because I insinuated the whole Godfather, horse head in the bed thing. Damn tags!

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
I went to livejournal, I made my first entry and now I find out that I can't access my blog or let others access it because livejournal and netzero have some sort of issue. Now what? I'll post what I wrote in the blog attempt if you like, here.

When I first saw my future husband across a crowded room at a Notre Dame Freshman mixer, I decided not to introduce myself. He was too serious. Glancing at my outfit, which I thought I projected cool (Actually, it screamed stuck-in-the-early-eighties, saw-and-liked-Xanadu!) he thought to himself, “Look at that girl in the silly hat. Bet she’s pretty superficial.”

We were both right.

In graduate school, my advisor called me into his office to discuss the beginning of my program.

“You’re from Texas.” He said, looking at my papers.

“Yes.”

“Well, I heard all the women down there are beautiful and tall. What happened to you?”

I stood up as tall as my five foot two inches would allow and said, “Well that’s true. Down in Texas I’m pretty average, but up here in Boston, I’m stunning.”

I became his assistant. In retrospect, I'm not sure it was a reward.

Meeting my future father-in-law for the first time, my luggage had made the decision to spend the evening at O’Hare. I had to beg and borrow from girls in my dorm to put together an outfit that did not smell like a three hour bus ride. One friend offered to do my hair and gave me sideburns that matched hers and three inch high curled bangs. I’m still recovering. So is my father-in-law.

Interviewing in New York City for a teaching position, there was a carnival going on that day on the playground. The person scheduled to paint faces had not shown and I had just finished talking with the vice principal. For the next two hours, my fingers were covered in grease paint and cold cream. The principal came by the school grounds to put in an appearance. “Who’s that over there?” he asked the vice principal. I got the job.

When we moved to Montgomery County, it was the dead of winter and the roads were coated with ice and the grey snow that always grips February. Alone in our rented townhome, I spied a woman walking with a child close to my then one year old son’s age. They were just following the sidewalk. Running out onto the snow barefoot, desperate to make a connection with someone in the area, I must have been a frighteningly mad sight as I screamed.

“Hey! Hello! I’d like to meet you!”

We became friends despite that rough intro.

Hi!

My name is Sherry Antonetti and I’m a freelance writer.

While my background is special education and English literature, I currently stay home and help shepherd our
eight children through their various stages of development.

I also write.

Why? It provides my offspring with an edited version of their childhood that is as honest as those multi-hued elegantly pasted scrapbooks. These stories are mythic in that they reveal truth without being completely factual. It is also loads of fun for me, less fattening than chocolate and more effective than most therapy.

Pass the fuchsia curly border sissors please.

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Sherry, see if you have a better compatibility with BlogSpot, where Amy has her blog. Start one there, post same piece. It's NOT a problem to post it more than once somewhere, especially starting out.

Two suggestions for your blog post:

1) Give it a title, like "Introductions and Me" or something, so that the skipping around is clear. I spent the first few paragraphs amused but also confused -- couldn't tell if you were working for your husband or your FIL (I realized, neither).

2) You need a "closure" para after the barefoot in the snow portion, that says something about how your zany intros have made you fun, better, funny, whatever, so we transition from your "life" intros into your blog intro.

Otherwise, good job! It's funny and in your voice, which is exactly what you want.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Jeanne, just so you know, and I think you'll be very proud, that I have the most asinine tags on my blognal and I actually hit the character maximum on one of them and had to keep whittling it down to get under. I was short on tags so I just started pulling random words out of the text itself. I think I have "horse head" as one of them because I insinuated the whole Godfather, horse head in the bed thing. Damn tags!
So very proud! I assume you tagged "Godfather"...:D

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Wouldn't is cause me a migraine or is the inside if my head that screwed up? Apparantly LSD will halt a migraine and then antidepressants will halt the result of LSD...that is if you believe the doctrine of House, MD...

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Wouldn't is cause me a migraine or is the inside if my head that screwed up? Apparantly LSD will halt a migraine and then antidepressants will halt the result of LSD...that is if you believe the doctrine of House, MD...
If it will remove the 3 ice picks in my skull, I might be willing to try it...at least today is better than yesterday.

Be funny, people! Visiting Prof needs some laughs! ;)

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay. I created a blog on blogspot and sent a massive email out to my family and those who might still call me friends to come see. Now. How do I do tags on blog spot, how do I make them work and how do I get total strangers to find my blog in the ocean of bloggers that are out there and how often do I have to update this thing? More often than I shave my legs? Daily? When?

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Okay. I created a blog on blogspot and sent a massive email out to my family and those who might still call me friends to come see. Now. How do I do tags on blog spot, how do I make them work and how do I get total strangers to find my blog in the ocean of bloggers that are out there and how often do I have to update this thing? More often than I shave my legs? Daily? When?
It should talk you through the tagging -- Amy, can you lend a hand on this?

The tags "work" when you post them to wherever you post tags in the blog program. ;) The work is done by the search engines. Once you've tagged, you can, in theory, stop thinking about it.

Not sure how often you shave your legs. Daily is great IF you can do a daily stream of funny. On a good week (when I'm not in the throes of a WIP) I try to update twice a week. Weekly is fine, as well. You just don't want one thing out there for months before you post someting else, because you'll lose anyone who's coming back for more unless there IS more.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
On Blogspot, you tag when you type up your post. There should be a little space just under the type window that says tags, it gives you a couple of examples and then the input box to put the tags. On Blogger there's a 200 character maxmimum (hit that one) for tags but like Jeanne said, they act as Meta tags for your blog so once you put them in, you should appear in a search for someone that Google's horse head for instance (one of mine although I have no idea why someone would Google that). I know when I Google my pen name the first result is my blog but when someone Googles by tag, who knows how far down the list you'll be.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
found it, now have to start tagging everything. Would it make sense to have some tags be the same no matter what each time --motherhood, mom humor, family humor, that kind of thing? Sorry if I'm just the dunce of the class but I have updated my blog --so that's three days straight. Wow. This is fun but work. Promise it's never stream of conciousness. Though I did catch a typo that I had to edit out.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I don't think you have to streamline your tags...I know I don't. I just use tags that are relevant to the post itself although I think I have used "humor" each time. I tag based on what's relevant to that particular post and then if I can't think of anything else (and to appease Fopressor Jeanne), I start taking random words from the text and using those as tags as well, hence horse head and the like.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
found it, now have to start tagging everything. Would it make sense to have some tags be the same no matter what each time --motherhood, mom humor, family humor, that kind of thing? Sorry if I'm just the dunce of the class but I have updated my blog --so that's three days straight. Wow. This is fun but work. Promise it's never stream of conciousness. Though I did catch a typo that I had to edit out.
What Donna said, and yes -- not a bad thing to keep some standard tags that would keep you falling into the same search categories regularly. And, of course, you have to be ready to change your tags if they aren't working...more on that later, promise.

Whenever the ice picks remove themselves from my brain, I swear I'll get lesson 5 up. On the plus side, all your questions are making me go, "Oh, have to speak to that!" so hopefully lesson 5 will be worth the wait.

(I hate migraines. I hate pre-menopause. And I really hate them both together. But I lurve all of you! :Hug2:)

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sending chocolate migraine removing cake your way. Bake the frosting in the cake, it's dense, it's disgustingly delicious and then frost the damn thing anyway so you get the full flavor from that sucker....making German Chocolate cake this way --highly recommend, it could cure an IRS audit headache.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Jeanne, I hope the migraine-removal fairy whops you *gently* with her wand. Migraines are a special kind of no-fun. Don't even get me started about the pre-menopause stuff (says Amy fanning herself furiously with her notepad). I'll admit to touching on the M word in my blog. It makes me feel better to force my suffering on share my feelings with others.

I'm glad to see you guys figured out the tags. On blogspot they call them labels and it can be confusing. One trick I learned from Wyntermoon is to use your name as one of the tags. Sherry, I don't know if there's a character limit for tags, but I've been loading up on them since Jeanne's marketing speech. I've got almost three lines of text going with labels for one post, and didn't get flagged to stop.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
On Blogspot it's 200 characters. I hit the ceiling once and spent 5 minutes saving and resaving to fit everything in the limit.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
The downside with that, though, you need to get your name out there in order for it to come up on Google searches, or people to Google it to begin with. If you've already had a few publications, cool, but for those of us who, really, are just starting out, it's not going to do much good, at this point anyway. At least that's the way I see it. Right now I have a better chance of someone finding me by Goggling Godfather than putting Kate and Boddie together on a whim. When I start getting out there (published), then I'll start pumping my tags with my name!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Here's hoping, Amy! I Google my real name now and all I get are a bunch of Italian websites!

I thought I would share this with everyone--http://humor-blogs.com/

It's a listing of funny blogs that you can join. Your blog has to be reviewed before they allow you in. I just registered so I'm still waiting but it looks pretty cool!

Last edited:

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Ok, do I get some extra credit on my homework? I've been pimping out my blog to all of my MySpace friends, spamming the crap out of their comments, not to mention the Bulletin Board thingy and put a graphic on my profile. I would have posted a blog but it was being funny. I only got halfway through my friends until my computer decided it didn't want to open any more windows, subtly letting me know it's done for the night. I added a link on Facebook but they don't give you the leway with code like MySpace does. Now that my eyes have blurred and I have a bruise on my elbow (from leaning), I'm going to bed! Gah!

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
How do get your stats on a blog? I used to have a blog but it stopped letting me post there so I let it go and started a new one (no big loss as the other was an anonymous place to rant but the new one will be under my real name). I'm not quite sure what direction I'm going with the new blog. I have an online humor class but the books I've written are mostly serious. I'm intrigued by the idea of keeping up with a blog and seeing where it might take me.

-- Joanna

Status
Not open for further replies.