Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Not too long ago I clicked on some address links for book reviewers and got a message that it required Outlook 2007 Startup Wizard. It then put me through the paces of conforming my system to accept this program, so I could eventually email these contacts. I chickened out after quite a few stages--I was afraid I was getting deep into something that would change my whole system or kick my browser out and replace it with hotmail or something. I guess it must be a new program or feature, or at least to me anyhow.

If I go ahead with this configuration, it won't screw me up, will it, or change anything? I'm just paranoid. It seems to want to take a long time to go through the process and it kind of worried me.

Is it safe and commonly used now to make personal contacts easier and safer?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tri--the complete tech Dodo, scared of a computer byte on the ass.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but this sounds like what someone has to do if they want to use Outlook for their Gmail account.

Where these address links to Gmail accounts?

I'd be leery of this; it sounds like it's going to change your default e-mail client. Someone else may know a lot more about it than I do (which is very little), so wait before doing anything.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Thanks, alleycat. I didn't notice if it was for gmail accounts or not. But now, it seems if I want to contact personal email addresses, I have to go through this program to do so. It's just strange because I've never had to do this before. What I think it might be is an upgrade that came in recently and is just an addition to Outlook.

Now, I have MSN and a Bing search bar. About two months ago, all of a sudden, my email pages switched over to Outlook and I don't know how that happened unless That was some kind of an upgrade too.

The point is, I can't access any personal email addresses on the web because it says I'm not configured with the Outlook Wizard.

Either this is a normal and harmless transition or a sneaky attempt to get me to change browsers. I'm afraid if I do this I'll change lots of programs and end up with a mess on my hands.

Color me confused. The only hint or mention of this is when I read somebody's post in the comments section of a website and he said to the OP, "I'd sure like to send you an email regarding this issue, but don't give me that Outlook horseshit address."

????????

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Most browsers (not Chrome, though) will allow you a choice of which application to open anything that isn't an HTML page in. It sounds like you have mailto: links set to open in Outlook, for whatever reason (it may be your system's default or only email program). In Firefox, you would go to Preferences -> Applications -> mailto to change this. For IE, you want to change the system defaults. If you're using gmail or another webmail system and it isn't among the options offered, you may need a browser extension. Also, this: http://gmaildefault.codeplex.com/ might or might not help.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I take it you use an online email service like gmail? The first time you open outlook it will configure your system to receive emails. If you put in the right information you can then access gmail via outlook, so you don't need to worry about losing your account or anything.
In windows (xp at least) when you click on an email address online, it assumes you are using outlook as your client and launches it, and because you haven't set it up, it tries to run through the first time setup.
Unless you want your entire mailbox downloaded to your PC, it's best to just ignore it, and in future if you want to copy an email address, do what Alexys said or just right click on the address and select "Copy email address" and paste it into gmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.