Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
DF- What a makeover! Looking from the old to the new it is a definite improvement. Very pro, very hip. Lots of fun to poke around in.

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
Kellion, I'm so sad to see you trunked the manuscript. :( That really sucks.

I'm still trying to catch up on the thread. It looks like there is a mix of good and bad going on in the news dept.

I'm happy to report my agent loved the synopsis of the sequel to my vampire novel she wants to pitch next. That's a huge relief since I hate writing a synopsis. I'm not sure when she'll pitch the book, but I'm sure I'll be a nervous wreck all over again.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Kellion, I commented on your situation elsewhere, but still...that sucks.

But there are just sooo many pitfalls in this business, at every freakin' step of the process. I shake my head. A lot.

And drink.

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, that just plain stinks. Just remember trunks can be opened, when the time is right. The next novel might pave the way for the first one in the end.
{{{Kellion}}} - what WW said. There may yet be a future for your novel. It's just perhaps not going to be your debut novel. Where are you on the next one?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Dang, Kellion, that's weird. Did this book go on the major sub trail, with at least 10 or so tries? Has long has it been out there?

Sometimes agents can be wrong. I know I had one that made some dreadful assumtions and predictions that turned out untrue. Five books, as a matter of fact. Four of them sold, and one of them took four agent offers. Soz, WTF.

Tri

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! Back from doing time in revision land. Sent the second draft to my editor yesterday. :)

Since both my editor and agent are on vacay, I'll take this pocket of time to jump back into my WIP. Can't wait!

In other news, I got another rejection today (I should buy myself a book!) but it was fairly positive and they asked to see other work. And my agent's planning to start subbing my second book sometime this week (that editor's on our list) :D

Sorry about the R, but good luck with the second book!

And...I should have news to report next week. ;)

~suki

Can't wait to hear your news!!!

*sighs* Three rejections today for me. Even though it's just been a month, I'm getting a bad feeling. Most writers I've spoken to, when their editor offered, it was generally less than 3 weeks. Like agents, it seems like if an editor is excited, things happen quickly.

If nothing else, at least I wish someone would say they were taking it to the next level, but alas, no. :cry:

(((Cricket)))

Okay, can I just say rewrites are going awesome. Seriously, the plot changed again, but agent really likes it and it was where the story was going anyway, so it involved no rewriting of what I had. I am over 30k now, and there's a bunch left yet to happen. My plotty new CP read over my ideas for the second half and LOVED them! She helped me flesh out the ending too, which was being a bugger. (This could possibly be the longest book I've written too. I write sparse and come in between 40 and 45k usually.) I have 2 weeks to finish it before I go on vacation. I'm averaging about 2-3k a day, so I CAN DO IT!

Go, YA!!!

I should also have news to report next week. :D

WOW!!! Can't wait!!!! So happy for you!!!!

Agent call postponed until Friday. Maybe.

I'm not making this up.

Ugh, Vandal. Hugs.

((((Vandal))))) This is a bit ridiculous and surreal.

Well, I will not be joining the rest of you on sub again anytime soon. My agent has deemed my book unworthy. :(

(((Kellion))) Keep the faith.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Hi all,

I just had an editor contact me from a big pub asking if one of my ms is still available because she was sitting down to read it and wanted to make sure. I had sent it pre-agent to this pub some time ago.

What I'm wondering is...in your experience, if an editor is "just reading it now" how long will I be in agony waiting to find out if she liked it?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Angela, it depends on the editor, but probably not too long before she decides if she likes it and wants to take it to the next level. The big wait is before or between reads -- they usually read and decide pretty fast (there are exceptions).

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Thanks Kellion

I waited a year to get to this point and now this editor was given the ms after another editor passed it to her with a particular line in mind.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Angela, my guess is that if she decides to pass on your ms. you'll hear soon. If she escalates the book, it'll take longer.

And hey, Vandal! Did your agent phone call ever happen?

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Warmest Regards,

Tutter

Last edited:

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Tutter, I'd say it's way too soon to freak. I agree that this kind of communication style is, well, not ideal, but it seems to be pretty common, and these guys really do have a ton on their plates.

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Tutter,

I'd take this to mean that the agent is very busy and behind their schedule. Nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't worry if I were you, as apart from agents being notoriously behind, there are no real reasons that I can think of that would change their behaviour towards you. I'd say, just wait up without reading too much into this. Good luck to you and congratulations on finding representation by a senior agent.

Last edited:

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Shinta and Other Lisa--thanks for your responses, and I suppose I might be freaking out a little too early. Shinta--have you had experiences with agents that suggest your findings? I'm just curious, and a little bit neurotic. ;-)

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
My agent is a top-notch fifth avenue agent. He/she is behind sometimes, so the deadlines they give me always don't work. But when they do get to your project( plus/ minus two weeks) they give it all they got and are entirely responsive at that point.

Communicating with clients in the interim may not be their first priority but getting the client's manuscript into tip-top shape and selling it are certainly their priorities.

There is no end to this neurosis, believe me. It's better that one learns, early on, to trust their agent and the process. They are sure to come around. At least, that's been my experience.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Shinta, thank you so much for telling me that. It makes me feel a whole lot better, and I'll breathe easy this weekend as we ease into the holidays. Have a wonderful 4th!

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi, Tutter! Welcome and congrats on getting agented.

I, too, have a well-established senior agent. In the world of agents (and publishing in general) you've been waiting about a nano-second. However, it is bothersome that the agent has given you these deadlines, and then not met them. In my experience, agents like to be more vague, like "I hope to get to it soon."

So, while it would irk me if my agent repeatedly gave me specific times she'd get back to me and failed to do so, I'd say that at this stage you're dealing with a matter of annoyance, not major concern.

From what I've seen on the boards, it's typical to wait several weeks to get revision notes, and several more weeks (even over a month) to hear back from an agent on the revisions after you've done them.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Wordwrestler--thank you for your welcoming words! Yea, I'm starting to think that Mr. Agent, though meaning very well, has possibly been a little over zealous in his promises. He's a one man show, anyway, and the more that I read here about notes and revisions, I begin to believe that the deadlines he's ascribing himself are impossible. Do I wish he would be a little more vague? Yes. But maybe he's trying to keep me (or himself) happy? It's so hard to know.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Tri. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. I'm just so new to this entire thing and sometimes that newness freaks me out! Thanks again.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
tutter, I've been dealing with 1-week gaps in agent responses, which is unusual for him. And this is for requested suggestions for a rewrite, which he wants me to do. :) This is a busy time, plus he's up to his eyeballs in reading. I'm sure it's the same for your agent.

*makes Irish coffee for Hell*

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Tutter-

I love my agent. Dearly. But sometimes she doesn't get back to me when she says she will. She's more laissez-faire, I'm more high-strung. ;)

I think most of us have little annoyances like that, but that's all it is. She gets my ms, she loves my writing, and she's working her ass off to get my ms sold.

To me, that's the most important thing. If everything else is there, it's all good.

Congrats!

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are all just great! I think I just wanted to know that what was happening was normal, and you've all proved to me that it is. Thanks guys.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, can I ask you how you handle status checks/updates? How long you wait before checking in? Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.