The Voice Synthesizer. Is It Here to Stay???

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of the songs coming out nowadays have singers employing voice synthesizers.

This actually isn't anything new. There are a few classic rock songs that do this. But it seems that it never really caught on until now.

What are your thoughts on songs that utilize this technique, that is, modulating the singer's voice to sound computer/synthetic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul63nCoYhBc

Do you think it is a fad or is it here to stay?

And any favorite songs that utilize the technique?

Bonus points for links :)

Mel...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Autotune will eventually be like the Vocoder. We haven't really seen vocal synthesiser be used outside of hardcore techno.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I think Queen probably used it first, on Killer Queen (0:28, at "laser beam"). Someone at school told me that effect cost a squillion pounds. Then there was Herbie Hancock in 1978, sounding like he'd beamed down from a spaceship. There was Cher, obviously, in 1998 (can't think of any in the eighties, funnily enough).

And then there was the legendary Eiffel 65 with I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee). At the time I quite liked it, though it appears I was in a delusional state, as it's horrific.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
First song that I know that uses the vocoder was Giorgio Moroder's Son of My Father from 1972. Of course it was used on the guitars and not the voice.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, Kraftwerk. Although they actually are robots, so they don't count.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Into Overload by Overload (1980-ish). It's about a robot with human emotions. Damn, I loved this song.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
These are two [three, see my last paragraph] different but very similar-sounding effects - the modern one, as demonstrated in the OP, is Autotune. It does real-time retuning of singing or talking (or any single-pitched sound) to the nearest note on the musical scale it's set for (could be chromatic, but is usually the scale of the key the song is in). It in itself often does make a voice sound robotic (it was originally meant to fix flubbed singing notes, and to be adjusted so it doesn't switch instantly between notes, sounding more like a natural singing voice), but mixing in a bit of the original vocal causes the characteristic 'phasing' sound that the vocoder doesn't have.

The earlier one is a vocoder, and wasn't nearly as often used as Autotune has been in the last decade. A vocoder uses TWO signals - one, usually the voice, is a "modulator" - it dynamically sets filters to the same spectrum as the modulating signal. The other is an instrument, usually a "standard" music synthesizer, goes through the filters, thus the spectrum of the vocal is impressed on it. This is obviously what Herbie Hancock was using in that clip, "singing" and playing the synth at the same time. The pitch of the voice is ignored, and it uses the pitch of the synthesizer, as one can hear when the vibrato is turned up.

One unusual use of a vocoder is on Pink Floyd's "Animals" where dog barks are the "modulator" and the carrier is a Hammond organ - the output is short "barks" of organ sound.

Perhaps the first use of a vocoder on a recording was by Wendy Carlos for the "Clockwork Orange" soundtrack. She talks about the vocoder and its whole history here:
http://www.wendycarlos.com/vocoders.html
I don't know of an online recording, but the vocoder can apparently be heard on this CD, and IIRC that part didn't make it to the film:
http://www.wendycarlos.com/+wcco.html
I think I've got the LP somewhere, but I've heard an outtake on Carlos' "Secrets of Synthesis." CD.

Autotune really came onto its own with the Cher song, though the guy who mixed and engineered it swears he used a vocoder for the effect, and he may well have, but many people suspected he was also using Autotune to "tune up" Cher's not-quite-perfect-note singing (as it had already been used on many top hits), and that's where it all started. I recall whatever Kid Rock song it was not long after that which used Autotune heavily, IIRC it was "Only God Knows Why."

Autotune had already been in use for a couple of years for its originally intended use, and a careful listening of a song where it's been so used can often find a slight touch of "that sound" in the vocal. More and more songs over the past decade+ have been using it for singing note correction, rather than the previous technique of having the vocalist sing a song several times and the recording engineer picking the best track for each line, measure or phrase during mixing.

One more thing, the video in the OP has "voice box" in the title - this was an electro-acoustical device sort of equivalent to a vocoder, I think more popularly called a "talk box" It takes an instrument sound (usually electric guitar), puts it through a speaker and into a hollow tube that goes to the singer's mouth - this allows the mouth to "articulate" the instrument sound with his mouth as if he were singing, but the sound comes from the tube and the instrument rather than his/her vocal chords. The first use of this I recall is Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way," about three minutes in. It was especially prominent on Peter Frampton's huge hit "Do you Feel Like I Do?" from the live album "Frampton Comes Alive."

And, of course, over three decades later, Peter Frampton is still doing it. :D

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I just gotta add more links here - the first is kinda dated as far as net.time, but there's the infamous and somewhat silly Auto-Tune The News.

For something slightly different, some well-known scientists have broken into song in the Symphony of Science.

And not really about robotic-sounding voices (at least 98 percent of this is instrumental), but a fascinating site is The History of Electronic Music.

If you're at all interested, go through the Tutorial and click the "Hear ..." links on the pages that have them. THEN you can explore through all the genres.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I hope it's here to stay, but I'm only agreeing it to some singers/rappers/rockers/whatever else. Some have a natural ability, I'm looking at T Pain here because he made it what it is now, but the others are really bad.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Personally, I think the autotune thingie the OP has in that Bud commercial is the lamest thing to ever hit pop music and hope it dies a quick and painful death.
Unless you're Peter Frampton, just learn to sing.

That was a guitar talk box.

Last edited:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think the autotune thingie the OP has in that Bud commercial is the lamest thing to ever hit pop music and hope it dies a quick and painful death.

That was a guitar talk box.

Yes, but someone brought it up a few posts ago in conjunction with autotune and the other stupid thing. Try to stay with us. :D

fractal

Yes, I'll be right there....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minimusrex.com
A pox on Autotune!
It has catapulted too my untalented and lazy vocalists to heights they could never have achieved otherwise - literally.
I have used vocorder effects to create that "robotic" sound, but it never pretends to be anything it isn't. Here's a trance tune in 7/8 that employs it (hope the link works):
http://soundcloud.com/minimusrex/point875-1

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread for a must-hear radio show:
It started out as a security device designed to scramble voices during phone conversations so the enemy couldn't overhear.But it evolved into the robot voice of popular music. The vocoder. In this hour of To the Best of Our Knowledge, we'll explore the history of the vocoder, from World War Two to hip-hop.
http://www.wpr.org/book/110515a.cfm