SciFi/Fantasy First Line Game

tylertoo

Registered
Reaction score
Gardner walked back to the base slowly, still shaking, wondering why of all the millions of humans in recorded history he'd been the one to experience First Contact, and wondering as well how he'd managed to screw it up so badly.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
Although walking down the main street of a human village wasn't the most reckless thing they had done, it was certainly the most nerve wracking.

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
When I first died, I certainly didn't expect to get a lecture on my life decisions from a creature who I suspected was God but called itself ZeDe, by the fourth time though, I'd pretty much accepted the fact I would be babysitting undead juveniles for the rest of my unfortunate afterlife.

-Cheated a little bit, very long sentence, but I couldn't resist that end bit.

DragonWing

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. "Oracle, I came to ask if I should... huh?"

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Yes. "Oracle, I came to ask if I should... huh?"

Welcome to the game; play as often as you'd like! There are only three simple rules, laid down by the game's founder waaaaaay back on the earliest page.

1. Every post — even replies to other posts like this one — need to contain a first line entry.
  2. Every first line must be clearly speculative in genre, being part of a fantasy or SF story.
  3. Every first line must be only one sentence long. No garden-path sentences, no gluing them together higgledy-piggledy with misused semicolons, and so on. Just one sentence.

(Your first line contains two sentences, alas. But a lot of us slip up on our first entries; I faced duckish wrath for cruelly abusing semicolons!)

Beyond that, welcome to the game. Play as often as you like, and hopefully you get some great story ideas from it. And now, to keep with the rules...

I'd been gazing at the moon for half an hour, lost in thought, when it abruptly opened its eyes and blinked at me.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The best advice I'd ever heard, but never seemed to be able to follow, was never volunteer for solo missions in the alternative realities - so, once again, I'm in deep shit.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Every morning I awake to find my mortal shell changed in one way or another: today I am a horse.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
By the time she had got to the end of fifty euphemisms, Jane had decided that either the locals were remarkably superstitious, or Faerie-kind were far too active on the Isle of Man.

(I may be exaggerating slightly, but of the Celtic nations, the Manx certainly seem to have the most euphemisms for faeries/sidhe.)

Grunkins

Grand adventurer of the couch
Registered
Reaction score
My first mate's opinion that we should hang back and let the other pirates contend with the kraken solidified my opinion of the man and our future working relationship.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff's screams were silenced when I deployed the air-lock; I thought that would silence him forever, but that night I learned differently.

GlobalWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Dr. Jameson, the accidental formation of a quantum synoscale anticyclonic system is probably the worst mistake that you can make when teleporting a kitten from one room of an office building to another, but on the bright-side, at least you weren't the kitten.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tugging on the tail of his white lab coat, the forlorn child sniffled and asked plaintively, "Daddy, I can't find Miss Kitty - have you seen her?"

('sorry, GW... 'couldn't resist)