Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Why isn't 'teh' a word please?

This is gonna make people cry...

It is a word. There are several online dictionaries citing it as an alternative spelling to "the", though it mainly shows up in the ones which chart internet word usage. In a couple of decades it might migrate to the real (*cough*print*cough*) dictionaries as usage becomes established enough.

*Does blue touch paper still exist?

I would need to go nudge someone to know for sure, but I am pretty sure it is still out there. Of course, the problem with getting the attention of someone who really loves their fireworks is that they tend to invite people over for demonstrations. I kinda like having all ten fingers...

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
Why BigWords, is that a gun in the hand of your avatar or are you just pleased to se... no, no, you're right, it's a gun. Jolly good. And no, I'm not going to look at his other hand. I suddenly don't want to know.

Well today's been fun. Working in my toyshop, selling trains, planes and automobiles. But hardly any, to hardly anyone. Aberdeenshire at the minute looks like the abandoned arctic wasteland at the end of John Carpenter's The Thing. So I moved some boxes around and drank coffee. That's why they pay me the big bucks.

(They don't, actually. Mostly they pay me the notional bucks, and I drink all the store-provided coffee I can as a way to feel I'm wringing some extra value out of my day.)

In other, writing-y, news: I have bought a new little notebook, for plotting the next book. It's rather nice, with a very ornate cover. Because my books are military SF, and feature spaceships, I have called this ornate, gilded little pad 'The Book of Keels', which amuses me if no one else. Not-unrelatedly, can anyone recommend a good book on the hunting and sinking of the Bismarck? I have Ludovic Kennedy's (it's called 'Pursuit', and it's excellent - a gripping story well told) but it would be nice to have another couple of sources.

Onwards and upwards... (in defiance of age and/or gravity. I know the metaphor of winter for old age, but I had no idea that it wasn't just birds that migrated south...)

BM

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Why BigWords, is that a gun in the hand of your avatar or are you just pleased to se...

:roll:

It is a gun. Yeah. I'm sure of that... :D

Well today's been fun. Working in my toyshop, selling trains, planes and automobiles.

Oh, man. It has been waaaay too long since I have been in a proper toy shop. There are a few dotted around - Edinburgh and Glasgow have decent enough shops, but the range is frustratingly small. It is almost impossible to find anything I am looking for, but I am guessing that my tastes aren't reflected in the folks who go in regularly.

Aberdeenshire at the minute looks like the abandoned arctic wasteland at the end of John Carpenter's The Thing.

And... that's different from normal how?

Seriously, I have never been so cold in my entire life as the couple of hours I was in Aberdeen, and I doubt I have ever been so glad to be getting back on a train EVER.

You have ten fingers???? Impressive.

:e2tongue:

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds interesting. Is it serious in tone or comedic? I'm thinking with a little humor, that could wind up being hilarious.
Sort of both. There's definitely a good bit of comedy involved.

So I received a rejection from the Harper-Voyager thing today. I was expecting it, wasn't letting my hopes get too high so I wouldn't be bummed out. Still, surprised how much it hurts. :(

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
So I received a rejection from the Harper-Voyager thing today. I was expecting it, wasn't letting my hopes get too high so I wouldn't be bummed out. Still, surprised how much it hurts. :(

Sorry to hear that. I'm still waiting. On tenterhooks. That are beginning to hurt...

And BigWords, what are you looking for? I might be able to help by - at the very least - pointing you in the right direction... (I have access to a nationwide database with the locations of millions of models on it...)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And BigWords, what are you looking for? I might be able to help by - at the very least - pointing you in the right direction... (I have access to a nationwide database with the locations of millions of models on it...)

BROMANCE!!! :hooray:

Briony-zisaya

Punctuation and I don't get along
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow abnormals. Wanted to stop in and say hi, so...... HI! :tongue

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
And BigWords, what are you looking for?

I've mostly been on the outlook for toys for my niece, though a lot of the things I have seen have a plastic feel - there's no point in buying something which she will trash within minutes of getting her hands on it (seriously, she may be small, but she's smart and destructive). Wooden things seem to last - she already has a train, so I figure a car would be next - and metal toys have a slightly longer life than anything plastic (though she still, somehow, managed to break a vintage whistle).

BROMANCE!!! :hooray:

:roll:

*reminds everyone that I can change their avvies*

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Still waiting on HV as well. Trying to stomp down my hope every day I hear nothing back.

Ah, the life of a writer.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Dear God, I get into the most bizarre conversations. My niece is sitting here in front of me, telling me about the soap opera that is middle school. Apparently there's this guy named Burrows, who is, and I quote, "The Love Guru of the Eighth Grade." She also described him as a "Cherokee yenta."

Wow. Just wow.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I took a huge slice out of my leg while shaving today. Apparently me and razors are not a good combination. :e2beat:

Innuendo in the Cantina? No...

And no writing. I had to help with the neighbor boys my mom watches while she waited for the cable guy to come to their house. Maybe I'll jot down something quick. Or maybe I'll read. It's quiet in the house now.

Apparently sales goals preempt proven sales techniques, good manners and common sense. Very powerful, they are.
This is why I couldn't cut it as a sales person. I'm too nice, too shy, and just not tenacious enough.

Sort of both. There's definitely a good bit of comedy involved.

A combo of funny and serious is always good. And sorry to hear about the rejection. I'm not near that point with any of my WIPs, but I feel your pain. I hate rejection, so it'll be tough for me too.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
My house is empty! My house is empty!

No time to back read beyond this page today, but I hope everyone is having a good day.

:Hug2:

Still waiting on HV as well. Trying to stomp down my hope every day I hear nothing back.

Ah, the life of a writer.

:Hug2:

Fingers crossed for you!

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hyperactive border collies are a menace. I am now missing half a toe nail and have had to put my education to practical use on myself.

Not the start to the morning I was hoping for.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I took a huge slice out of my leg while shaving today. Apparently me and razors are not a good combination. :e2beat:

:( *Huggles LadyV*

Hello Cantina.

And lookit that. It's the Rawhide Kid.

Er...something you're not telling us, BigWords? :D

I think he's playing dress up for Abby.

And ACCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*tacklehugs*

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Hyperactive border collies are a menace. I am now missing half a toe nail and have had to put my education to practical use on myself.

Eeesh. Wishing you...a numb, but healthy toe?

ACE!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow abnormals. Wanted to stop in and say hi, so...... HI! :tongue

Hello and welcome. Weren't you in Czech? Welcome back stateside if so.

This is why I'm a cat person. If they bite you, you deserved it.

Well, one time I was playing with my cat Dusty when he was young. He was way too worked up, so I just dropped the toy and walked away. Nutter ran up and bit my ankle then darted off!

Status
Not open for further replies.