victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
It's also not called "A Marriage Built to Last." You'd think the agency that had sold a book would get the title right--especially since we've pointed out the mistake here many times and we know they read these threads. Sheesh.

On the other hand, it makes it pretty clear that they aren't looking for writers who do research.

- Victoria

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
What a Scam!

Well, folks, I hate to admit that I fell for this scam and sent in a manuscript. The more I thought about, the more concerned I became and I quickly did some research, which included this wonderful site.

Then I REALLY got alarmed so I sent off a quick e-mail to the mysterious 'Sherry' and told her that I in no way, shape or form want to be represented by their agency. So I didn't get ripped off for money, thank God! I also sent an e-mail to Book Expo 2007 because WL Writers' Agency supposedly was an exhibitor at their show at International Rights Center in NYC (per a photo on WL Agency website) although I could not find them listed as an exhibitor on Book Expo 2007 website.

I am now concerned about my manuscript. Do they really destroy all copies as they claim?

Thank God I decided to do some research before I got in too deep.

Thanks for being there,

Sandy N.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Even if they kept your manuscript they are not going to do anything with it. That would require them to sell it to someone. If they could do that they would be a real agency. They exist only to extract money from writers who don't realise what they are.

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I posted a warning about this bunch on Writing.com, which is where I found their (Google) ad. I also went to Google and rated them and told Google exactly how I feel...

SandyN

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I posted a warning about this bunch on Writing.com, which is where I found their (Google) ad. I also went to Google and rated them and told Google exactly how I feel...

SandyN

Glad to hear it. The more the word spreads about these scam-scum, the better. And welcome to AW! Hope you stick around. :welcome:

ModeOne4Ever

Writers Literary Agency and Marketing Company

So Sherry Fine and company are that bad, huh?!?

Wow. I was just about to send her a manuscript.

Interesting.

On another note, anyone here ever visit MediaBistro.com??

What are the GOOD literary agencies?!?

Alan

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So Sherry Fine and company are that bad, huh?!?

Wow. I was just about to send her a manuscript.

Interesting.

On another note, anyone here ever visit MediaBistro.com??

What are the GOOD literary agencies?!?

Alan

You may just have saved your wallet from taking a right good kicking.

Too many good literary agencies to mention. Unlike Sherry, they don't advertise for clients.

Skim around this site as there's plenty of info here to set you on the right track.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Below is the e-mail I received (on Sunday, August 26) from WL Writers' Agency after I wrote to tell them I researched them and found that they were not what they represented themselves to be and that I did not wish to be represented by them.

They lie. Like dogs in the sun, they lie.

Not that I expect anything different from Bobbie Fletcher and his band of Merry Sockpuppets, seeing as his/their only goal is to wring money from inexperienced writers. But still, to be such obvious scamsters--you'd think by this time they would show some finesse in their dealings.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Below is the e-mail I received (on Sunday, August 26) from WL Writers' Agency after I wrote to tell them I researched them and found that they were not what they represented themselves to be and that I did not wish to be represented by them.

Thought you might like to see it....:D

Already seen, already answered.

What more?

"Dear Moderator - Once again I ask you to engage us in a public debate about these issues. I'll answer any question you want and we can both post the answers on our websites so there will be no "spin doctoring" of the answers. If your message board is all about helping writers, then why won't you debate us? The innuendo and wrong data you are promulgating are hurting writers and we think a nice public debate would help everyone.

Help us help the industry, those boards are running amok and they need a good dose of reality. They won't come out of their dark little holes and debate us, but we keep trying.

Tell 'em I said, "high noon at the OK corral" (grin).[/COLOR]
Sheriff Sherry

Once again, "Sherry," any time, any place. Just pop up and name the venue. You've already missed a whole lot of opportunities. Don't let this one pass you by too!

Kristin Finn - Bipolar & Pregnant - to HCI (The Chicken Soup Publishers). Kristin gave us a nice thank you on her website, www.kristinfinn.com (see the Kristin's Corner page)

The complete text of the Kristin's Corner page reads:
"This page is under construction.

"For more information please email
Kristin @ KristinFinn.com."

What exactly was it that you wanted me to see, "Sherry"? Oh -- and I did email Ms. Finn asking her exactly the question I'm asking you: What did WL Writers' Literary Agency do to sell this book? So far she hasn't answered. Maybe you should ask her to check her email and get back to me.

Joseph Thompson - Screenplay: Born of Earth - Sold to The Skeleton Factory

The guys behind Biker Zombies from Detroit. Yes.

Let's look at their track record:

Mr. Jingles
The Remake (which apparently wasn't reviewed anywhere).
They Must Eat (no reviews on this one either).
Lurking Terror
Biker Zombies From Detroit

Somehow I don't imagine there was a lot of up-front money involved. And I don't think the Brothers Brunswick are in a position where a lot of A-list agents are calling them.

Still, I guess a sale is a sale ... they do make (direct to DVD) movies. Assuming "Sherry" sold it, rather than Joseph Thompson working on his own, that is.

Last edited:

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
WL Writers Agency

Thought you might like to see it....:D

Print - Close Window
From:"Sherry - VP Acquisitions" <[email protected]>To:"Sandy Novelly" Subject:RE: 'Monique's Wish'Date:Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:02:46 -0400
#message97520585117271183804600444053910550704oSOYkYn4Ur6Rg9WuJfSMZS0uvayXRfGrM2uUrhW6pLq2ypkR1Nv6HSlZjKWD0BWWPOmh7V8Xu04FqbOBn3zYneKRJC8j7hEH6MegYSkyo81JrtvAxE77tPupXarab3MiLq1ATBI4oeZVKtgUfPxsWHsxnibPIyzifsqD6MnP { overflow:auto; visibility:hidden }Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We've seen it before (sigh). To set the stage you might look at this article from USA today about rudeness, threats, and the dark underside of blogs and message boards. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2007-07-30-cruel-web_N.htm?csp=34

The short answer is that there are hate communities around every issue of emotional impact and you've found them. You can find hate communities about Home Depot, AT&T, and even people on YouTube, etc.

We've researched these message board leaders and sites pretty thoroughly. Basically, there are less than 5 main sites and they all copy each other. They are run by Ann Crispin, Victoria Strauss, and Dave Kuminisky, and James MacDonald, and they purport to be the watchdogs of the industry. Ann Crispin has sold TWO books in 10 years, Victoria maybe one, and Dave and Jim, I don't think any sales, although if someone tells me differently, I'll be sure to post it here).

We call them Negative Nelllies... in every industry you can find the people that are unhappy. These people haven't made enough money to support themselves as writers and they are bitter and negative about companies that are successful but don't match their outmoded views*. They also have way too much time on their hands. Time better spent improving their writing if you ask me, ha ha.

If you want them to be the advisors for your career please don't let me stop you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, I would be very wary about listening to anyone with that kind of sales record and that kind of negaive bias. They are writer-wannabes, not agents. They don't have a clue about agenting because they've never made a living at it. Ask them if they've ever sold someone elses work? I think you get my drift.

*Outmoded Views
-----------------------------
Let me tell you where their outmoded views come from. Basically, we only accept edited work. But, we will accept a new writer that will commit to getting their work edited. We don't care who edits your work, we just want edited work. As Literary Agents, we don't edit, we just sell. We try to let the editors work with our authors for creative, for mechanics, for everything related to the work itself, and then, we'll work with the writer for packaging, pitching, and presenting the work. Our core competency is selling what you write, not writing what we sell. (And editors and writers make lousy salespeople, so it works out.)

We have sent them copies of contracts of recent sales, and we have tried to engage them in a spirited dialogue about what does constitute agenting in the new world of publishing. They don't reply and they seem to enjoy creating dissension and hurting our business. We used to try to set them straight, but it was a useless task. We've tried to get these people into a dialogue. They just keep dragging old information around. They talk about people and processes that are at least 5 years removed from what we do now. Please read this and you will see what I mean. http://www.writersliterary.com/acquiretlag.html

Mainly we feel sorry for those writers such as yourself that are caught in the crossfire.

Luckily our clients (and the publishers we work with) laugh with us at their foibles. So, in general, we ignore them, and just keep working on behalf of our clients. Our lawyers are on this and we'll get it all straight and out in the open one day, but until them... in the meanwhile, would you do me a favor.. email them this.. and read below... we've seen all this before and we keep trying to get them to come out of their hiding and address the real issues, but they won't. Eventually our lawyers will take care of them but for now, would you send this to them please.

=========================================================
"Dear Moderator - Once again I ask you to engage us in a public
debate about these issues. I'll answer any question you want
and we can both post the answers on our websites so there will be
no "spin doctoring" of the answers.

If your message board is all
about helping writers, then why won't you debate us? The innuendo
and wrong data you are promulgating are hurting writers and we think
a nice public debate would help everyone.
==========================================================

This author said it well.
-------------------------------
"Having been with the FBI and a homicide detective,
I take this type of derogatory information with a grain of salt, as anyone
can say anything about anyone on the Internet".

Yes, we have clients that are FBI agents, lawyers, policemen, etc. Believe me, if there was any actual truth to the lies and innuendo out there, they would know it.

Here's another author (I like his use of the word unemployed).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Sherry,
I am dually impressed by your company's speedy response time and professional mannerisms. There are many writers all over the internet claiming that your agency is not legitimate and that your company falls under an umbrella co-oporation owned by a convicted internet fraud. I must admit after reading this I was quite rattled, but eventually I came to realize that in your emails you never once concealed any obvious or ominous information from me. You were concise and dare I say very polite. It was my choice to divert the rumors and take the risk and I stand by my choice to this very day. I look forward to working with your agency, because everyone should know that nothing comes without sacrifices and that things are difficult because we do not dare to endeavour their limits. I thank you for your kindness, "professionalism" and prolix emails (because they help a lot.) Let those unemployed writers talk, when I get my book published, I'll take your agency for the ride, because I know you stood by me all the way. Thank You. Tyson

Interestingly, we had a publisher make this comment
-----------------------------------------------------
The publisher said, "the more they scream, the more we know you are doing the right things and forcing discipline and business reality on these writers". What the publisher was telling us, was basically, "thanks, you're doing your job", which is weeding out the writers that won't get their work edited or brought to professional standards. We get a lot of comments about how good a job we do, but of course, real writers and real publishers don't hang out on message boards.

Please, you owe it to yourself to take this one step further!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That data is so old, and so distorted by writers with an axe to grind, that I cringe when I hear a writer making a career decision from it. You've been with us this far, and I think you will agree that we have treated you professionally and in a timely fashion. Read what I say below and tell me if it doesn't make sense, and that it is worth your time to gather a little bit more info.

Let me tell you where that stuff comes from. First, we insist on working only with edited work. There is an entire camp of people that believe that we should pay for the writers' editing. If the writer's name is Hillary Clinton, we'll pay for the editing, but for a new author, we just can't afford it. Also, because the value of editing and critiquing stays with the owner/writer of the script, even if we were fired, then it would make logical sense that the author would pay for editing.

The next group is basically just upset that they can't make it as a writer and they are spiteful and generally upset with the way the world treats them. And to add to their angst, telling a writer their story isn't good enough to sell is like telling a parent that their kid is ugly. And, when a writer is upset, they write hateful things. We just toughen up and ignore them. I suggest you do the same.

Here is what I would do if I were you.
----------------------------------------------------------
1) Please spend a minute or two asking them for concrete proof of their allegations or what they say. See if they will give you anything substantial. We have asked and never received an answer. I don't think they will either answer you or give you anything concrete either. I've seen their answers, there is nothing concrete, just allegations of more complaints from internidiots.

Then, once you've weighed all the facts and done your diligence, please feel free to return to us. We are willing to work with new authors and that's what everyone holds against us (and unfortunately, new authors know less about the business than anyone.)

Good luck to you, really! I hope you will give us a chance to prove ourselves. (We won't waive our quality standards though).

And, one final thought. The people on the boards, even the moderators ARE NOT AGENTS. THEY CANNOT KNOW WHAT OUR BUSINESS IS REALLY LIKE. They are writers who think they know, but they don't know, they can't, because they have never agented someone elses work.

Do you understand that if someone hasn't gone through the tribulations of being an agent, they really can't comment accurately on what being an agent is like? John Kennedy said it best....

"It is not the critic that counts: not the man who points out
how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood,
who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions,
and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, if he wins,
knows the thrills of high achievement, and, if he fails,
at least fails daring greatly, so that his place shall never be
with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory nor defeat."

Oh yes, one final ps... email this to them for us if you don't mind.. .

"Dear Moderator - Once again I ask you to engage us in a public debate about these issues. I'll answer any question you want and we can both post the answers on our websites so there will be no "spin doctoring" of the answers. If your message board is all about helping writers, then why won't you debate us? The innuendo and wrong data you are promulgating are hurting writers and we think a nice public debate would help everyone.

Help us help the industry, those boards are running amok and they need a good dose of reality. They won't come out of their dark little holes and debate us, but we keep trying.

Tell 'em I said, "high noon at the OK corral" (grin).
Sheriff Sherry

p.s. one very heartfelt quote... "
I received the refund check for $89 for the critique even after you did the critique and just because I said I read negative things about you. The fact that you sent me the check even AFTER doing the work told me you are probably people of integrity and the the people on the message boards are way off base. . I feel that I may owe you an apology. Please allow me to explain the problem from the viewpoint of a writer. A dozen published DFW Writers� Workshop members said the same thing , obviously it was incorrect. I will show the workshop your check Wednesday night to demonstrate your honesty. My question now is, can we repair the fences and still do business? "

Best regards,
Sherry - VP Acquisitions

Recent Deals
-------------------
Kristin Finn - Bipolar & Pregnant - to HCI (The Chicken Soup Publishers). Kristin gave us a nice thank you on her website, www.kristinfinn.com (see the Kristin's Corner page)

Joseph Thompson - Screenplay: Born of Earth - Sold to The Skeleton Factory

Our Pledge To You:
==================
* We respect what you have accomplished thus far as a writer.
* We believe that great authors are made, not born. We are willing to develop talent.
* We pledge straight talk in a confusing and old-school industry.
* We can't promise a sale. We can promise a professional relationship.

p.s. Missed Emails, Spam, Whitelists, and other reasons for lapses in communications. There's an old joke in showbiz that asks the question, "What do you get if you cross an agent with a turnip?" The answer is "A turnip that doesn't return your phone calls." That won't happen with us. We are very, very diligent about returning every email that we receive within a couple of days. The same is true for our vendors and suppliers. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE A COMMUNICATION AND YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE, PLEASE, CHECK WITH US AND WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENED. Please don't jump to negative conclusions. The Internet is not 100% foolproof and we are very sensitive to our clients' expectations and our promises about timely communications.

FINAL NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT: BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SPAM AND JUNK EMAIL FOLDERS. THE BIG ISPS ARE RECLASSIFYING EMAILS CONSTANTLY. Also, please make a meaningful SUBJECT LINE. We are so deluged with spam that it is tough to pick out the real emails. (sigh).

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 3:46 PM
To: Sherry
Subject: 'Monique's Wish'

Sherry,​

Please immediately destroy all copies of 'Monique's Wish.'

After researching your agency, I find that you are not what you represent yourselves to be, and I am very alarmed. I do not wish to be represented by your agency.​

I would like confirmation that the manuscript has been destroyed, from you personally, today.​

Thank you,​

Sandra L. Novelly​

Got a little couch potato?​
[/quote]

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Did find the following verbiage in the bottom right-hand corner of Kristin Finn's 'Kristin's Corner.' However, it is not enough to change my mind about WL. The fact that most of their lies can be easily refuted is enough for me... BTW, reposted the e-mail I received because I edited it to remove my personal e-mail address. Thanks so much to Julie B for pointing out that oversight on my part...

I would like to give a special thanks to my agent, Robert West of the WL Literary Agency Group for all their hard work and efforts.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have, in fact, seen the contract that WL Writers' Literary Agency is passing around that they claim is Ms. Finn's contract.

What I have to say about it:

That's a boilerplate contract. It's not very author-friendly. It has a tiny advance against royalties based on net (rather than list). The contract shows no signs of having been negotiated.

HCI accepts submissions directly from authors. I don't know at this time whether Ms. Finn submitted her own work and allowed Fletcher to "negotiate" it, or what the situation was.

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
On Aug 26, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Sandy Novelly wrote:

Dear Skeleton Factory:

I am attempting to corroborate a claim by WL Writers' Factory that they sold you a screenplay, Born of Earth, by Joseph Thompson.

T Brunswick <[email protected]> wrote:
Sandra,
Our purchase of "Born of Earth" was handled by Joe's agent, Robert West of The Literary Agency Group.

Good Luck.

Ok, so it appears that WL--or at least Robert West (whoever that might be)--did sell at least TWO projects. Now I'm really confused....

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If Joseph Thompson's script has been sold, I wonder what it's still doing on Script Buddy.

Sandy, remember that WL has a history of claiming credit for sales made by the authors. Even if they did actually make two sales, that's a pretty pathetic track record for an agency that has been in business since 2001.

- Victoria

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I agree!

If Joseph Thompson's script has been sold, I wonder what it's still doing on Script Buddy.

Sandy, remember that WL has a history of claiming credit for sales made by the authors. Even if they did actually make two sales, that's a pretty pathetic track record for an agency that has been in business since 2001.

- Victoria

I absolutely agree--without reservation. The e-mail I quoted from about the sale was from the buyer, The Skeleton Factory. As to what the script is still doing on Script Buddy, that I can't answer.

I would never want to have an agency like WL; I am just trying to cover all bases and do my homework, which is something I should have done before getting involved with WL at all. I'm glad it never went further than it did.

Now, can anyone tell me where to find a definitive list of agents one can trust? I'm once bitten, twice shy...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Go to AAR. Any individual agent there may not handle the sort of material you write, or may already have a full roster, or may not have the right chemistry with you ... but they're at least selling agents who subscribe to a code of ethics.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I have, in fact, seen the contract that WL Writers' Literary Agency is passing around that they claim is Ms. Finn's contract.

Don't know much about contract law, but is it legal for them to show it? I know she has the right, but do they? Sounds like invasion of privacy to this uninformed person here. And please tell me they don't mention money.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
They mention the exact dollar amount of the advance, the royalty rates, everything. If it's what it purports to be, it's the complete actual contract.

Please note above where "Sherry" says:

We have sent them copies of contracts of recent sales,

"She" really, really has.

Do you want to be represented by these folks even assuming they can sell books? (An assumption you shouldn't be making in the first place....)

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
They mention the exact dollar amount of the advance, the royalty rates, everything. If it's what it purports to be, it's the complete actual contract.

I'm flabbergasted. They just get dumber and dumber. I only know HR law, but if these people announced finances to anyone but the IRS, they would be in court so fast, their heads would rocket.

Hmmm. It's a thought. And an interesting picture. :tongue

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Print - Close Window
To:
Subject: WL Writers' Agency: Positive Review
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:19:49 -0400

Thank you for everything that we have received from you thus far. Our
review team believes that your work has commercial potential and we would like
to proceed by offering to represent you.

Why am I NOT suprised!

We feel that your concept and writing thus far has potential and that
if it is polished and presented properly, we can sell it.

Again--no surprise here!

To take the next step, please read the information below and follow the
instructions at the end of this email. Unfortunately, this email is
quite long, but it has to be as this sets the stage for our working together.

Blah, blah, blah...

The summary of what is below is this:

1. We choose to represent authors that can demonstrate beyond a shadow
of doubt that their work meets or exceeds industry writing quality standards.
That's our promise to our buyers and publishers that we work with.

2. If a writer is willing to improve their work, and has a decent
topic, then we think that writer deserves a chance. It is the willingness to
improve that impresses us.

3. Our biggest frustration as an agent is when a publisher asks us if
we have a book like "xxxx yyyyy zzzz" and we don't have a work to pitch in
the 'xxxx yyyyy zzzzz' category. Frankly we want to say YES! to any
request from a buyer and to know that the author's work is prepped and ready to
send. So, we take more authors than other traditional agencies.

I hope we work together and you see the ruthless efficiency of our
credo.
The information below explains what the next steps are.

Best regards,
Sherry - VP Acquisitions

ps. Please forgive this form letter. I don't like to receive them,
and I don't like sending them. However, this is at the behest of our
lawyers. They like it when we say it the same way every time. If this email
appears truncated at the bottom, please let me know.

NOTE: if you have the documentation for the fact that you have been
edited already you can skip to the bottom of the email. If you have not yet
been edited, please read the information below.

Here it comes...wait for it, wait for it...

We never promise a sale. (Because you wouldn't know one if it bit you in the...I'll be nice.) However, we do promise that we will work with you on a professional basis and do what we can to promote you and your work to our buyers. (and there are sooo many of those, now aren't there???)

According to what you have sent us, you have not been through a formal
edit with a disinterested third party. That process is invaluable to you as
a writer, and to us as your agent. Why? Because we can tout it when we
pitch your work. (To whom---a hack publisher no better than you?)

The polishing process begins with what is called a 'critique' in the publishing world, and 'coverage' in the screenplay world.
HAVING A CRITIQUE PROTECTS YOU from unscrupulous agents who tell you to
keep getting editing. Having a critique protects our agency from egocentric
writers who think their work is perfect.

Doesn't the publisher provide editing you may ask? Yes, they do.
However there are two levels of editing. The first is our internal level. The
second is the publisher level. When you pass our internal level, it means
that we will put our reputation (Oh, tee hee hee...) on the line for you, however, it doesn't mean that it has been exhaustively edited, like a publisher would do. Their edit is MUCH more extensive. Our edit requirements are related to pitching and selling only. (Pitching and selling your 'extra' services, you mean!)

The critique should be inexpensive, usually around (now we're getting down to it!) $70-$90 depending on the company you choose. It will tell each of us if the work is ready for marketing right away, or if more polishing is required. As we mentioned if you have a critique already, great, if not, we can provide a referral
for a critique service. (I'll just bet you can...)

As we mentioned, if you already have a 3rd party critique or have been
through a formal edit, please let us know. It must match the level of
detail that you see in the examples above.

If you have an associate that you believe can do your critique, then be
sure to send us their credentials first for approval. Please don't try to
critique your own work. (Yes, we've seen that happen and we can tell
immediately.) Also, many people ask if they can get a friend to do the
critique, or a teacher, or an associate; if they don't do editing for a
living, then it's like asking anyone to do something for free--it takes
longer, and it may not be done correctly. (Oh yeah...wouldn't want anything to be free, now)

As we've mentioned before, we need a common platform of trust from
which to begin the representation process together. Many authors wonder if the
critique just leads to more and more editing. The answer is NO! (Ain't what I've heard)

In summary, the critique protects you from unscrupulous agents that
will try to tell you that you need endless rounds of editing. Once you have a
critique you are in a much stronger position in your writing career.

** If you have given me the name of your editor already and I missed
it, please remind me by choosing Option 2 below.

PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR MONEY.
We want you to have a critique by a qualified industry professional.
======================================================
MANY AUTHORS MISUNDERSTAND THIS SIMPLE REQUEST. We don't want you to
pay us; we want you to have a critique to start our relationship so that we can
start from the same page. (If I told you the number of writers that
accuse us of using this to take their money, you would be flabbergasted.) (Would I now...?)

Many authors ask, "Why we don't do the critique as part of our Agency?"
=======================================================
In the old days, perhaps that occurred. However in today's competitive
world we must focus almost entirely on our core competency, which is selling
your work. Our company relies on editors to work with you to bring your work
to industry standards. We are not editors. We are sales professionals. We
contract out all editing work. (As you might imagine, it turns out that
editors are usually lousy salespeople, and we love the editors we work
with dearly). Editing and sales are two VERY different skill sets. (Neither of which you seem to know anything about...) And, because the value of editing and critiquing stays with you, the owner/writer of the script, even if you fire us, then it would make logical sense that you would pay for services that improve the work.

-- One more positive response from an author about the critique
------------

"Dear Sherry: Thank you so much for your quick responses and
professionalism. It was so refreshing to hear an unbiased critique of
my work for the first time. I have hungered for it since I've been
writing.

Someone actually read the whole script and took the time and care to
provide a professional critique and show me the areas that need improvement. I
am so determined to make my work a success, and it helps me to know what my
strengths are and where I need improvement. Thank you, and please pass
on a big thank you to my editor."

ypical FAQs that we see at this stage:
=================================

Q) I have a critique, what do I do?
A) First look at the critique and compare it to the examples above.
Many critiques are long on plot and character development. The critiques
that we prefer include that PLUS a strong focus on the mechanics, i.e.
punctuation, grammar, format, and spelling. (Doesn't an editor do this????) If your critique does not address those mechanical elements we will ask you to get a new one. However if your critique is reasonably close to our examples, then simply let us know that you have one, and we'll send you the contract, and then you put your critique in with the contract when you send it in.

Q) I don't have a critique, what do I do?
A) You can search for them on the web, or you can use our referral. We
supply them so much business that they give a reduced rate to our
authors. (Reduced rate right into your bank account!)
Also, they do it 'our way' every time so there is no possibility the
critique won't be accepted.

Q) Why did you accept me if my work needs improvement?
A) Our mission in the Acquisitions Department is clear and very "cut
and dried". We answer 3 questions:

1.Will the subject matter sell? Is it commercially viable?
2.Is the writing good enough, or would it be good enough with some
degree of assistance?
3. Did you as the evaluator like the work and would you believe in it
if you were selling it?

If we get a "3 Yes" designation then you pass (at my level). After
that, we leave it up to the experts to really dig in and get detailed with
polishing your work.

Q) Why can't I get a more personal response?
A) You will have much more personalized interaction when you reach the
Agent (which occurs after the critique is completed). Unfortunately, my job
is just too intense and I do sincerely apologize for that fact. It really
is like drinking from a fire hose over here. Many authors want me to
tell them what we liked, or what we see that needed polishing. It's just
too cumbersome to try to maintain those notes. You passed, now let's move
forward.

Q) My work isn't finished, should I finish it first?
A) The value of the critique is actually greater for the author of an
unfinished manuscript. Why? You can apply what you learn to the rest
of your work! So, it behooves you to get started as soon as possible.

(Getting down to it--AGAIN)
Q) I need a referral.
A) If needed we will provide you with a referral to someone we trust
and who discounts their prices to our clients. You can certainly use any
qualified person to do the critique if you know one, but they MUST have been in
the industry.

Q) Do I have to pay for it or does the publisher provide for the final polishing and editing?

A) Both. As your agent, we need it to be 'great' before we will pitch
it, and then, if the publisher wants to make changes, then they will pay
for the changes they desire.

Q) What if the critique says my writing is horrible? Will you still
represent me?
A) The critique will never say that your writing is horrible. The
critique will point out your strengths and weaknesses. It will come from a
coaching point of view, not from a judgmental point of view. As we've mentioned
earlier, our Agency is different in that we are willing to develop talent. We will not fire you because of a poor critique. (Comment kept to myself...)

Q) What do the buyers/publishers think of this model that you use?
A) Frankly, our buyers know that before we pitch a work, we've put the
writer through the proverbial wringer! Our buyers know that our writers
can understand a contract, comply with reasonable requests, and that we've
weeded out the 'something for nothing' writers that are basically lazy
about their craft. This hyper-competitive industry will only reward the best,
and that's our commitment to our buyers, and to you.

Q) How do I know that this won't turn into endless rounds of editing
that I have to pay for?
A) At some time and some place, we have to trust each other. We believe
that this is where it has to start. Your risk is $70-$90. Our risk is that
our internal cost of our time with you at our hourly rate is easily greater
than that amount. (And you never pay us for that time, we don't charge any
fees as we've mentioned earlier). So, we'll spend the time to work with you
if you'll do your part to make sure your work is the best it can be.
Unless the critique points out the need for substantial rework, there shouldn't be
any more fees. That's why we require an independent 3rd party for the
critique. (Independent of whom? Not of your pocket, that's for sure!)
This protects YOU from an unscrupulous agent, and it protects US from
egocentric writers.

Q) I'm still nervous, what does your contract say?
A) First you keep the copyright to your work, and second, you can fire
us in 90 days. Our contract includes the following two clauses designed to
protect you. There are no payments to us in the contract unless we sell your
work.

Here is the exact language in the contract:
--------------------------------------------------------------- --
1)The copyright and ownership is specifically retained by the AUTHOR
for this work and all works submitted to, and accepted by, the Agent. The
Writer does not grant to Agent or any other party any right, title or interest
of any kind in any copyright, ownership and/or any other intellectual
property right contained in or as a part of any work of the Writer submitted to
the Agent. The Agent agrees to make no claim to any such right, title or
interest, however denominated.

2) The Writer/Producer may terminate this Agreement after 90
consecutive days of no sale by Agent.

3) We receive 10% only if we sell your work. There are no other fees in
the contract.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ----

So, if you don't like us, or we don't perform, you can fire us in 90
days, and we clearly state that you keep your copyright so there is no chance
of us claiming your work. We don't know how much safer we can make it. (If
you think we are going to steal your work, then you are too paranoid to
work with us anyway and we're happy if you decline). Other than that, the
contract is for one year duration, and we ask for a reasonable 10% if
we sell your work.

==============================================================
IN CONCLUSION, THE NEXT STEP IS SIMPLE.
Please "Reply" to this email with one of the following three
statements:
===============================================================

1) I understand how a critique protects each of us and will improve my
writing (or validate that I'm as good as I think I am). Please send
your contract and a referral for a critique service. I will get the critique
underway as soon as I hear from you. We have to start trusting each
other somewhere and I am committed to my writing as a business.

or,

2) I have a critique (or been edited) already. Please send me your
contract and I will include my critique or editing information with the contract
when I send it in.

or

3) "Thanks but no thanks," If this is your choice, we wish you the
best. Keep in mind that your competition (other writers) are aggressively
improving their work with coverage, edits, and coaching. To compete
you are going to have to consider these options. It is a very, very competitive
marketplace. Also, should you change your mind after continuing to search for
another agency, please feel free to come back to us, and we can pick up at this
stage. (You will still have to have evidence of working with a 3rd
party though).

=====================================================

In conclusion, no matter what your reply, I truly and sincerely wish
you the best in your writing career and I want you to know that I have enjoyed
our interaction immensely thus far. Continue to follow your dreams, and it
is my deepest hope that you succeed with your writing career.

I remain yours truly,
Sherry - VP Acquisitions

Whew! That's only part of it... What part of "I do not wish to be represented by your agency do they not understand???

Listed below are the questions they use in their 'we want to see your work' e-mail to sucker you in so that they can pitch their extras...

A. How long have you been writing, and what are your goals as a
writer?

B. Do you consider your writing 'ready-to-go', or do you think it
needs some polishing?

If you have been through a formal editing process, please describe it
in detail, ie. name/company of editor(s) etc.

Last edited:

valen_sinclair

Blowing bubbles in the wind
Registered
Reaction score
am confused with all this...i got a mail from the wlscreenplayagency but they have asked for no money at all, they wish to see my screenplay and a history of me........i am more confused than ever, cause I know it's a strong piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.