The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Bonnie Gibson said:
I did it. I did the weasel post. I confess.
"Judge, I did it, I just couldn't take it anymore."
"That's okay hun, them jerks needed it. Thumbs up to you."
At the conclusion of the trial on the fraud, harassment, drama, and scary tone charges PA filed against Bonnie:
PA's Attorney: "Your Honor, we ask that you find the defendant, Miz Bonnie, guilty as charged and sentence her accordingly."
The Judge: "Sir, one question -- whose idea was it to send the bogus cop with no ID to Miz Bonnie's house in the middle of the night and scare her half to death?"
PA's Attorney: "I -- ah, you know -- er -- hmmmm, I..."
The Prosecutor: "Your Honor, I move that the plaintiffs and their lawyer be taken into custody and locked up forthwith."
The Judge: "So ordered. And it will be the further ruling of this court that the plaintiffs and their counsel will pay to Miz Bonnie immediately all royalties due her, an amount to be determined for her pain and suffering with regard to contracting with PA, an additional amount to compensate her for her heart palpitations the night of the patently illegal visitation, and compensatory damages for breach of contract on the plaintiffs' part and termination of said nonsensical contract effective as of right now. Bailiff, haul these stooges on over to the jail. Court is adjourned."
:banana:

Deleted member 42

One thing I've often wondered about is why PA doesn't tell authors how many of their books are printed.

When you have an account at LS you get a logon and you can see exactly what you ordered, when, what stage in the process it's at, etc. It's really useful. You can also go back in time.

PublishAmerica is the customer, so authors can't get "their" data; you'd probably have to chat up an attorney and judge to do that.

But PA certainly knows how many were printed.

Oh, and shipping data is listed too--because LS will ship wherever you want.

The only conclusion I can draw is, like con artists everywhere, it's in PublishAmerica's interest to withhold the data. The ninety days before royaly accoutning is equally bizarre; PublishAmerica wants cash up front, even for single copy orders.

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
This is a pretty good sign about HB

bikrpreacher said:
...and HB is saying did you read the contract, making fun of people who are against PA, also saying that these people are paid to be anti PA. Talking about the message board (PA one). Oh, the DJ is talking great about the PA web site, celebs and stuff. What a set up...however, HB is doing a good job I gotta give the man that.

If this keeps up, I give HB about another three months before he crosses over. First, the more HB has to defend PA to the outside world, the more research he has to do about PA, literary scams and the publishing industry.

Secondly, there's a greater possibility of HB being left to dry on something, or of HB catching PA in a lie.

Thirdly, when that something clicks, the next thing that will go through HB's brain is: "I'm their biggest booster."

So my prediction? Three or four months from now, we will be saying: "Take it easy on the new guy, HB. Remember at one time you were PA's biggest booster, so be gentle with those who are still struggling to come out."

Jonathon Michaels

The Elvis of Webmasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.raggededgepublishing.com
The Gone gone gone my post Thread

Mr. kas,
When we signed with PA, we were under the assumption that major bookstores would sell our books, only to find that they want no part of a PA book since it is POD and way overpriced. I don't care how good the book is, people do not want to spend $20 on a book that is sitting next to another for only $10 or less...and the same size. How do you compete with that? I wouldn't buy a PA book off the shelf for $20, not even $15. I don't have that kind of money to support my reading habits. That's the reality check. Bookstores don't want us! There's not enough family members and friends that feel obligated enough to buy them. So, what do we do? Stand on a street corner and sell them? If these books were available, and priced the fair price, at least we would have a chance at more sales. No one is talking about being famous from our books. We just want a chance to sell them with our publisher's support. And, that my friend, is where our deficit is!

Pull up another chair, and don't forget the coffee. :Coffee:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
The heat is rising in the PA royalties discussion thread...

...y'all might want to take another look:

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8032.htm

violent-smiley-095.gif

P.S. I've gotten, in the past fifteen minutes, two emails from PA authors who are madder than hell about the royalty situation, both are saying they know they sold more books than they are being credited with. Imagine that, Moe-randa, Larry, and Curlem cheating someone?

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I agree, I think lbs and that other poster will be joining us soon. lbs has had quite a few negative (by that I mean, legitmate questions) things to say lately.

And Mr. Kas - was that a Freudian slip? "royal-ity check"?

Jonathon Michaels

The Elvis of Webmasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
More from the Gone gone gone my post Thread

There's nothing to fear from people expressing fear and frustration...unless the person they are talking to is just as afraid as they are.

This is one of the most insightful statements ever to be soon deleted from the PA boards...

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well damn-fire and tarnation...

Unlike everyone else who wants to sell books, I'm frankly quite bummed that two copies of my PA book sold.

I DON'T WANT ANYONE BUYING MY BOOK! :Smack:

Don't get me wrong; it's a good book. But like any work, it needed the benefits of one of those li'l ol' editors that PA eluded to employing. Heck, how was I to know that their "editors" consist of their overworked janitor who waves his toilet brush over a manuscript and proclaims it holy and complete. As a result, my book is a generous serving of cowpie placed upon a gen-u-ine Scamming-Ware plate.

Thank you PA.

Oh...and DON'T BUY MY BOOK!
pullhair.gif

Last edited:

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
How exactly is PA "taking a chance" on them? They don't print books unless they've been paid for, they don't lift a finger to help authors get in bookstores, hell, they don't even pay for the copyright! Somebody explain to me exactly what "chances" PA is taking?

'shay

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PA Boosters and the Private Boards

:eek: First I'll address "Mr. Kas." He is the loyal PA Booster who brags on the boards about how much he paid a professional editor to edit his book before he submitted, or re-submitted, I forget which. He has some connection with an editor due to his employment and got a decent review about his book, and because of that I think he believes himself to be credible to knock any complaints against PA.

To those of you still able to get into the private boards: PA has chosen to leave Bonnie's post because the boooooosters are like mad dogs. So far, I've only seen one author support her. There are two threads going and I had to leave before reading all of them, I was getting like a feeling of rage. Not healthy!

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My husband who was a publisher for many years and
now writes for the music publisher who bought his
business, read the contract and said it was as good as
any he had ever signed. Since he succeeded in his
business, I trust him.
If this were moi, I'd be a widow doing hard time.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
From the royalties thread, posters' names omitted:

I too am very disappointed in my total sales. I've checked on all the on line sights, some claim to be out of stock, new ones on the way, and some claim to have used copies, considering those facts, I should have sold more than my statement reflected. It's makes me wonder if someone is lying to us.

I was disappointed with my statement because I know I worked very hard promoting, talking, sharing flyers in and out of my state. I know I worked my butt off since last october, my hubby sold and promoted my books even before that. To say he was shocked is an understatement. I know two bookstores ordered and stocked my book so these may be reflected in another statement.
I can't believe that all the work I did and I only sold two books! Any comments?
I had just started a wonderful novel and was on a roll...I now have writers block.

Would either (or any) of the lawyers following this thread comment on the possibility that I just now violated the posters' copyrights by pasting their material here?

Last edited:

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This month, we are growing our editing staff with six more seasoned editors. Hence the opening of our fourth office, a moment of celebration we thought we ought to share with you.
Ahhahahahaha! :ROFL: By "seasoned," I'm going out on a limb here and assuming they mean these poor souls have actually graduated from sixth grade and have the I.Q. of a jar of peanut butter.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
Literary Lola said:
... these poor souls have actually graduated from sixth grade and have the I.Q. of a jar of peanut butter.
I can see it now.

"You continually misspell 'Jif' in your Photoshop Tips manuscript. We've fixed that for you."

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I was looking at it a few minutes ago, so it just disappeared. Congrats to Bonnie.

Forgive me for my word choices or lack thereof. I am going on 3 hrs. sleep since yesterday morning.

Last edited:

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
Bonnie Gibson said:
Dear Ms. Gibson,

We will expect your prompt apology.

Thank You,

PublishAmerica Author Support

---------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't that just get your hackles up? Geezus, you'd think they were talking to a third grader. "Bonnie dear, you can go back to class if you apologize immediately."

"Hmph. Apologize THIS!":wag:

Jenn

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Bonnie

Dammit, Bonnie, I wish you'd quit beating around the bush and tell PA what you really think of them.

Dolan

Banned
Reaction score
Bonnie

Shadowfax said to you: Tsk, Tsk. Bonnie to be so aggressive and angry..... And so on.

GJMORT has many nice things to say about you and wants you to contact him.

Hottoddy says that you bought your way on the NYTs ad. Your low sales are the same as an admission. Further, she says to get over the grandiose thoughts of authordom.

In answer to GTMORTS question to PA as to why you owe them an apology, Shadowfax says that you took a tone with them and they have feelings.

This is from your thread on the private PA board in case you can no longer access it.

Bonnie if you like getting your messages, may I have a rep point?

P. S. To steal from Tina, you are my hero.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
Whose names, Chris? Did he actually name Kevin?

- Victoria

No one has answered Victoria's question.
I'd like to know too

tina

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
(shakes head) doesn't take 'em long to start turning on each other, does it? I guess they don't feel guilty if it's what they have to do to stay in PA's good graces.

For me though, my morals and ethics wouldn't allow me to play that game. And I could NEVER have slept at night if I'd done what that crowd continues to do to authors who don't tote the party line.

Jenn

Jonathon Michaels

The Elvis of Webmasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Naming Names

tinasamuels said:
No one has answered Victoria's question.
I'd like to know too

tina

I listened to much of the interview but missed some of the middle. Basically he kept speaking of naming two names but then he never did that I heard, and they changed the subject to, well, other things. (Nothing worth mentioning save a few "jokes")

I heard a bit of it after the subject change and it wasn't referred to again. Then later PA came up again and I still heard no names.

It's entirely possible I missed them, but from the way the conversation seemed they didn't speak of PA issues in the few minutes I was gone.

Oops. To directly address the issue of Kevin, he described the situation (from their perspective, of course) in detail but I never heard the name mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.