Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not starting my writing session at a set time, I don't think...

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
You can use gimp, it's similar to Photoshop and it's free. I only have PS because my mom uses my graphic designing free labor for her business in exchange for food and shelter, LOL.

Thanks, Character! :)

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy, Ely. I just took a picture with cursive writing and blended it into the picture of the couple. Then I took the eraser tool and erased any writing on top of them to the very edge of their outline so it seemed like the words were flowing behind them.

LOL, Character.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I used to make pictures like that all the time. Unfortunately it's a lot harder with a laptop unless you have a mouse (which I do not) so I can't do them anymore.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
HR: Yeah, I think I would plug in my mouse before I did anything like that.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
HR, I can see how that can be very difficult especially when you have to do shortcuts where you would have to click something then do Alt+Command+whatever. I can only imagine how people can use these kind of programs on tablets!

You should give Photoshop a try sometime, Ely. I think you would like it.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
HR, I can see how that can be very difficult especially when you have to do shortcuts where you would have to click something then do Alt+Command+whatever. I can only imagine how people can use these kind of programs on tablets!

You should give Photoshop a try sometime, Ely. I think you would like it.

I've never used a tablet but my best friend did in high school and I imagine once you get used to it, it's not that bad. It's more precise than a trackpad anyway.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's personal preference. I've seen people do thoughts like this:

'What in the hell is she wear,' Sadie wondered, lifting an eyebrow at the neon green mini skirt her grandmother was trotting around in like a prized Kentucky Derby horse.

And I also see this:

Why in the hell is she looking at me like, April thought to herself as she watched her granddaughter stare at her, mouth unhinged and eyes wide open. The girl looked like a fish getting molested.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for (c) neither; incorporate the character's thoughts into the narrative.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I usually never use thoughts, since I always write in first person, but it's occured to me that my character is going to have to think sometimes since I'm writing in third person.

There's no need to change anything other than the pronouns unless you actually want to. If you're used to writing a close first person with thoughts incorporated into the narrative, your third-person narrative could be exactly the same.

Hmm. I think I found a way to do that but...are thoughts usually bad when they're not incoporated into the narrative?

That's a matter of taste. I don't personally like italicised inner monologue. A close third person (or first person) shouldn't need it.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I just changed my desktop background to an epic picture of Hogwarts. :heart:

ETA: I'm going to do my epic writing now. Bye guys.

Last edited:

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I can use my laptop's trackpad for Photoshop. I haven't really noticed anything different from using my desktop's mouse though.

MA, you've inspired me to make a book cover for TL. Only problem is that I wish I can use a tattoo design I describe in my book. It's kind of intricate. A phoenix and a dragon wrapped around each other like this. http://www.tattoodonkey.com/pics/p/h/phoenix-and-dragon-tattoo-designs-g-h-tattoodonkey.com.jpgBut I don't want to use a tattoo design found online...so I have to stick to something else, which I have no idea yet...

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a picture of someone getting tattooed or two tattooed people together?

Alouette

bad apple
Registered
Reaction score
Me too. Constantly.

On the bright side I just finished translating this section of Caesar's De Bello Gallico for homework so now I can go back to writing. I've written 3k today which might not seem huge but I haven't written this much in one day for YEARS. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.