Readers' Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Robin

Veni Vidi Scripsi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just starting to plan an online tool to help readers get in contact with books they will love. As writers you read voraciously. So, I'd very much appreciate your opinions about readers' advisory.

Have you heard of readers' advisory before?

Have you used a readers' advisory service, or even just asked a librarian for help finding a good fiction book to read?

Would you use such a service if it were easily accessible and useable, or are you one to just pick friends' brains about what books they like?

This project is completely conceptual at this point, and is aimed at genre fiction. I won't be programming anything, and I won't have friends start playing with MySQL or any other programming until I work out the information needs in detail, and I can't do that until I know what readers want.

Any input or comments is welcome. Thanks!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Have you checked out Goodreads? It's pretty popular, and I think it does roughly what you're suggesting.

How will your service be different?

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Library Thing was what I used before I switched to GoodReads. You might check both of those sites.

Edit to add: I make that suggestion because the "connection" sites and tools work best when they know what a reader has already enjoyed. I forget where I read it, possibly Making Light, but I remember seeing an editor say that the best predictor of whether or not a reader will enjoy a book is if it was written by an author they already know.

It's true, at least for me. There are a crapload of generic fantasy and sci-fi books on my shelves, proving that I am not all that picky. And yet I've turned up my nose at dozens if not hundreds of virtually identical books because I didn't already know the author. A new author has to do something pretty different to break through my indifference.

So these tools have to:

A) Know what I have already consumed
B) Know what I like
C) Know what it is about the things I like that might be similar to other books

A recommendation has to come from either a pretty sophisticated algorithm, or from a friend.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, there's no need for help or advice when reading books by writers I already know and love. For new writers, I read from the bestseller list, and from what my friends say are good books by new writers. Other than this, pretty much every library has a new book section, and it doesn't take long at all to go through it.

I never, ever get a book from a new writer because of a review, which is all a reader advisory really is. I've been burned far too many times this way.

Honestly, finding good genre books is already too easy, which is why I have about ten years worth of reading in my TBR stacks.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I think GoodReads and the like have beat you to it, but, hey. Study them to see if you can't find your own twist and offer something unique.

GoodReads, like Netflix, seems to work by asking the reader to rate already consumed product (books/films) in their genres of interest. They then suggest supposedly similar books and films. Already read these? Rate them -- more suggestions will pop up. The idea is that the more product you rate, the better the service will get at pitching back stuff you'll like.

Myself, I mostly find new books by browsing reviews, Publishers Weekly, and my BOMC catalog.

Red Robin

Veni Vidi Scripsi
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input all. I'll check out those sites and compare.

I'm switching careers to librarianship, and I'm quite interested in Readers' Advisory. There is at least one well done but incredibly poorly marketed proprietary databases out there, but it is not focused on fiction. KathleenD's point c is something that is already pretty fleshed out, but everything else are good points to be taken into consideration.

Thanks!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon also provides recommendations, however, they don't seem to care if you rated something low or if it's something you haven't read yet (like you just bought it or it's on your wishlist), so sometimes recommendations can be way off (you can tell it to stop including things based on a purchase, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.