Maine's next - same-sex marriage legal

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Maineiacs.

I used to live in Portland. I remember going down to the docks when the lobster boats came in. I could buy culls for less than a buck a pound.

Lobster rolls at Old Orchard Beach. Lobstah stew.

GAH!

Somebody please tell me what the hell I'm doing in the middle of the country? :(

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a native and I don't eat seafood...at all. :scared:

Glad I'm not alone. I'm pretty sure I was the only veg in my high school. :D

Somebody please tell me what the hell I'm doing in the middle of the country? :(

I almost ended up working for a company here that's supposed to have some crazy new way of freezing the meat...I can't judge myself, but I've been told it's very good. http://www.shucksmaine.com/

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not surprising to me that the first states to do it are blue states.
Aw, that's so nice of you to notice! I'm proud of my state for being first and my region for once again leading the way in ending discrimination.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Long overdue. Huzzah, Maine! C'mon, RI, you know you want to pass a bill too...

I hope that gay marriage will eventually be introduced in the US as a whole--it's a civil rights issue, plain and simple.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Long overdue. Huzzah, Maine! C'mon, RI, you know you want to pass a bill too...

I hope that gay marriage will eventually be introduced in the US as a whole--it's a civil rights issue, plain and simple.

I could not agree more.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Good for Maine. Now if every other state would follow suit so we can move on to an important issue. There's no reason to oppose legalization gay marriage even from a religious standpoint. If your religion opposes gay marriage DON"T MARRY MEMBERS OF YOUR GENDER. Not terribly complicated, really. I firmly believe that the people who want it banned do so because they want the government to do their work for them. If your religion opposes gay marriage, spread the word, don't be a lazy sloth and expect the government to proselytize for you. They know if it's legalized then they'll have to try harder to spread their message opposing it whereas if it's banned it saves them the trouble.

The government shouldn't enforce religious doctrine. It's your job as a member of a faith to spread the word of said faith. If people listen, good. If not, too bad. It doesn't effect you anyway. Someone show me where the Bible or any other holy book says the government should enforce religious laws. And even if they did say that, America has a Constitution that says we don't opperate that way. Why? Because it's fair. Those who want their religious beliefs enforced as law likely wouldn't feel the same were it someone else's beliefs being enforced. The Founding Fathers were way ahead of thie time on this one. They realized that religion is only hurt when controlled and infused with the stare. Too bad most people nowadays don't understand that.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Good for Maine. Now if every other state would follow suit so we can move on to an important issue. There's no reason to oppose legalization gay marriage even from a religious standpoint. If your religion opposes gay marriage DON"T MARRY MEMBERS OF YOUR GENDER. Not terribly complicated, really. I firmly believe that the people who want it banned do so because they want the government to do their work for them. If your religion opposes gay marriage, spread the word, don't be a lazy sloth and expect the government to proselytize for you. They know if it's legalized then they'll have to try harder to spread their message opposing it whereas if it's banned it saves them the trouble.

The government shouldn't enforce religious doctrine. It's your job as a member of a faith to spread the word of said faith. If people listen, good. If not, too bad. It doesn't effect you anyway. Someone show me where the Bible or any other holy book says the government should enforce religious laws. And even if they did say that, America has a Constitution that says we don't opperate that way. Why? Because it's fair. Those who want their religious beliefs enforced as law likely wouldn't feel the same were it someone else's beliefs being enforced. The Founding Fathers were way ahead of thie time on this one. They realized that religion is only hurt when controlled and infused with the stare. Too bad most people nowadays don't understand that.

Personally, I think it's more important that government just say out of private marital affairs altogether. Why bring the government into such a personal issue?

If people want to marry, let them marry (whether they want to marry the opposite sex, same sex, or their favorite pet). That should be the government's stance. Give us the FREEDOM to do so. DO NOT give us a license. We don't need a license to make vows, so let's STOP government from legitimizing STRAIGHT marriages, and let each individual have the freedom to do what they want beyond that.