CERN scientists 'break the speed of light'

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find an article that made it clear whether they were talking about the speed of light in a vacuum, which is an essential point.
See the Yahoo link I posted.

This. And the same with the big bang. The whole universe. Smaller than a pin head? Srsly?
What's smaller than a pinhead?

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quantum mechanics offers several possible superluminal loopholes...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This. And the same with the big bang. The whole universe. Smaller than a pin head? Srsly?

Maybe, you'd prefer the newish, left-fieldish theory that there wasn't so much a big bang, but a singularity at the end of time pulling everything towards it like a chaotic attractor?

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Quantum mechanics offers several possible superluminal loopholes...

Like what?

Anyway, I think this could be a useful result in other ways. The speed-of-light thing probably indicates some kind of
vacuum energy interaction -- sort of the flip side of the
no-phase-twist for light. For example, electrons are assumed to spend some of their time as virtual photons and vice-versa. Possibly neutrinos spend some time as
something even less interactive than neutrinos.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, you'd prefer the newish, left-fieldish theory that there wasn't so much a big bang, but a singularity at the end of time pulling everything towards it like a chaotic attractor?

I don't see what is supposed to be wrong with the basic big-bang scenario except that Don doesn't take it seriously and is that a bad thing for a theory?

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The problem is if the speed of light is not an inherent barrier in some way, then violations of causality arise. Temporal paradoxes seem more intrinsically wrong to me than a universal speed limit.

ETA: Which isn't to say time travel wouldn't be cool. Just, y'know, paradoxes can be problematic.
I already said this next week.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The only bit of the big bang theory that really threw me was in one of Marcus Chown's books where he's explaining the whole thing and says something like 'time didn't begin until around 380,000 years after the big bang.'

Hang on, what?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see what is supposed to be wrong with the basic big-bang scenario except that Don doesn't take it seriously and is that a bad thing for a theory?

It wasn't my theory...personally I like the big bang. increasing complexity seems built into cooling. works for me.

In Chaos Theory the idea of Chaotic Attractors however suggest that complexity may be pulled out of simplier systems.

I kinda of like both ideas, of course. Maybe both work in conjunction.

And the superluminal loopholes in QM I mentioned earlier are mostly informational, and not massive.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only bit of the big bang theory that really threw me was in one of Marcus Chown's books where he's explaining the whole thing and says something like 'time didn't begin until around 380,000 years after the big bang.'

Hang on, what?

You also have the problem of the big bang requiring one of two things:

1) that all the laws of physics are evolving--which isn't something our science likes

2) that all the laws of physics were already existant in some sort of Platonic superdimension ready to go when needed.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like what?

Anyway, I think this could be a useful result in other ways. The speed-of-light thing probably indicates some kind of
vacuum energy interaction -- sort of the flip side of the
no-phase-twist for light. For example, electrons are assumed to spend some of their time as virtual photons and vice-versa. Possibly neutrinos spend some time as
something even less interactive than neutrinos.

Sorry, Maxx, I missed this one.

Quantum Entanglemnt, for example. I recommend Nick Herberts book, "Superluminal Loopholes..."

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

What's smaller than a pinhead?
Not so obscure historical reference.
In 1931 Georges Lemaitre suggested that the evident expansion of the universe, if projected back in time, meant that the further in the past the smaller the universe was, until at some finite time in the past all the mass of the Universe was concentrated into a single point, a "primeval atom" where and when the fabric of time and space came into existence.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but ironically enough, the ones I'm familiar with exist to prevent causality from breaking.

Yeah, no.

Take two electrons. Put them together. Then separate them. Take one to the other side of the universe and hold on to the other one. Change tthe spin on the electron you have. The other electron will change spin instantly. The laws of causality get bent by quantum phenomenon. This is a simplification of quantum entanglement, of course.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

Quantum Entanglemnt, for example. I recommend Nick Herberts book, "Superluminal Loopholes..."

That's okay. I don't see how anyone can measure "instantaneously" unless "faster than lightby 60 nanoseconds over a distance of hundreds of kiliometers"
somehow means "instantaneously".

Hence the absurdity of measuring quantum entanglement:
if you have a measure of "instaneously" then entanglement is meaningless since you can somehow go faster than anything at all when you measure entanglement. I leave this as an excercise in special relativity. Hint: if you can violate causality in any way you want, why bother measuring anything?

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Not so obscure historical reference.

I guess you get the big bang you are looking for. Lemaitre was a priest if IIRC and so the Church has been pro-big -bang for longer than most institutions.

But what is the point of the Big-Bang? Was it invented just to annoy Don?

Perhaps not. Maybe it solves things that otherwise make no sense such as primordial Helium. Just a thought. Anyway, I leave this as excercise in History of Science: are theories invented to be annoying or to solve problems that Don has never heard of?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's okay. I don't see how anyone can measure "instantaneously" unless "faster than lightby 60 nanoseconds over a distance of hundreds of kiliometers"
somehow means "instantaneously".

Hence the absurdity of measuring quantum entanglement:
if you have a measure of "instaneously" then entanglement is meaningless since you can somehow go faster than anything at all when you measure entanglement. I leave this as an excercise in special relativity. Hint: if you can violate causality in any way you want, why bother measuring anything?

I give you a proof of Bell's Theorem:

http://quantumtantra.com/bell2.html

Most scientists don't love the implications of quantum entanglement...too bad, so sad.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit. I hate it when you explain a joke and people still think you're serious. :D

But let me throw a serious question in there; at it's smallest, how small was the universe?

Last edited:

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
Yeah, this is probably just a statistical error in their measurements.

But modern physics has always been plagued with a problem. Out the big three qualites of the Universe -- Locality, Relativity, and Causality -- one of them has to be breakable. Entanglement proves that. We have been assuming that entanglement breaks Locality, but there's a slim chance that one of the others might be an illusion.

Break Locality and we get spooky action at a distance.
Break Relativity and we get FTL.
Break Causality and all hell breaks loose with it. Time as we know it ceases to have meaning.

If the CERN experiments hold up, it's evidence for Relativity breaking, and that could get fun fun fun...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

This idea was used in SF by James Blish back in 1954, when he posited the development of a Dirac transmitter for FTL communication, named in honor of quantum pioneer Paul Dirac.

Dirac was known among his colleagues for his precise and taciturn nature. His colleagues in Cambridge jokingly defined a unit of a dirac which was one word per hour.[34] When Niels Bohr complained that he did not know how to finish a sentence in a scientific article he was writing, Dirac replied, "I was taught at school never to start a sentence without knowing the end of it."[35] He criticized the physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer's interest in poetry: "The aim of science is to make difficult things understandable in a simpler way; the aim of poetry is to state simple things in an incomprehensible way. The two are incompatible."[36]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dirac

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit. I hate it when you explain a joke and people still think you're serious. :D

But let me throw a serious question in there; at it's smallest, how small was the universe?

I think you are being thrown off by a catch in the inflationary model -- when the theory mentions "universe" it means "current observable universe". As far as we know this current observable universe is just a patch of the field that broke symmetry. So, maybe the current observable universe was once extremely small patch, but that doesn't mean that was all there was going on (there were vast expanses of symmetry-broken field right next to that patch). So what was once so small is now a matter of "as far as you can see (ie 14 billion light years or so)" BUT back when it was a tiny patch, it had only existed for a very tiny amount of time. 14 billion years later, its 14 billion ly in all directions (but again at a time of 300,000 years it was 300,000 years in all directions). So the tinyness of the patch relates to the tiny amount of time that had passed.
So the answer is: you can pick a time at which the current observable universe was any size. At about 9 light minutes it had a radius of about one AU.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I give you a proof of Bell's Theorem:

http://quantumtantra.com/bell2.html

Most scientists don't love the implications of quantum entanglement...too bad, so sad.

It's true that if you use pre-1940s, pre-field-theoretic, pre QED formalisms, you can get some puzzling results. That's why physics moved on after the puzzles of the 1930s (though their problems were actually far more disturbing than the paradoxes of keeping particles in states and then moving them rather than propagating them). I suppose we could have been happy with the voodoo, but it is possible to work out actual field theories and avoid such stuff.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think you are being thrown off by a catch in the inflationary model -- when the theory mentions "universe" it means "current observable universe". As far as we know this current observable universe is just a patch of the field that broke symmetry. So, maybe the current observable universe was once extremely small patch, but that doesn't mean that was all there was going on (there were vast expanses of symmetry-broken field right next to that patch). So what was once so small is now a matter of "as far as you can see (ie 14 billion light years or so)" BUT back when it was a tiny patch, it had only existed for a very tiny amount of time. 14 billion years later, its 14 billion ly in all directions (but again at a time of 300,000 years it was 300,000 years in all directions). So the tinyness of the patch relates to the tiny amount of time that had passed.
So the answer is: you can pick a time at which the current observable universe was any size. At about 9 light minutes it had a radius of about one AU.
So Georges Lemaitre was right? How big was it at .00000001 light seconds? (Add as many additional zeros as you like. :))

And at 9 light minutes all the matter in the observable universe was in an area the size of a sphere with a radius of the distance from the earth to the sun?

Just trying to understand something I've never fully wrapped my head around.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
So Georges Lemaitre was right? How big was it at .00000001 light seconds? (Add as many additional zeros as you like. :))

Lemaitre was right enough to get his name into the
Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker metric

but wrong (it seems) about the primordial atom.

At .000000000001 seconds, the currently observable universe had a radius of .000000000001 light seconds.
On the other hand, the broken symmetric field may have expanded at a rate thousands of times that of the speed of light.
There were some theories in the early 1980s that something crucial happened when the current observable universe was about basketball size, but I don't recall any details.

The wikis on all this are quite good. see for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker_metric