Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, I found a longer description of it that sounds more like my book than the short one in PM. Ugh.

Okay, emailing will ensue. Thanks for listening to me freak.

(And to top it off, I was just told that my $1200 car repair job might not be done today, after all. So I'll be car-less even longer.)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink)))

Sorry for pointless brightsiding. Until your book is finished, you can't really KNOW. But it sure makes the finishing harder.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Double {{{DVI}}} That sucks. Yes, Kell is brighsiding :)D), but she has good points.

Again, it sucks. But I say, just play it out and see how it goes. Go through betaing, send to agent, etc.

As to the first person/third person: Since much of my recent work is YA, I've stuck to 1st person. I like the freedom of it because it has the "tag along feel" of story telling and most YAs I've read is 1st person.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Dr. Ink))) *passes maggotini*

Teri, eep! *makes another maggotini batch*

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
{{Ink}} Too close for comfort...and a film deal? Seriously?

{{Teri}} Good luck. So much for you getting anything done today.

{{Mrs}} Termites are very pittish. Here's hoping you won't have to do that crazy circus tenting thing.

Question that has nothing to do with writing: For those with dogs, how many of you let them sleep in the bed with you?

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
All right, so I emailed DWS (you know, my guru) and asked him what he does with a new proposal or manuscript when he has so many editors reading that there's no new houses to send anything to. Anyone who has sold 90 novels to trad publishers has figured this all out. (He was also an editor for a while at Pocket).

So I thought I had chutzpah.

He waits 3 months, then sends the new proposal to the editors reading the older one, mentioning the one they've now had for more than 3 months and pointing out that he is ready with something new to pitch.

I'm still reeling from the nervyness of it.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm approaching the 3 month mark with several editors reading.

I'm trying to decide if this is what I should do.

It takes so much gall . . . (but then if you've seen some of the emails I've sent to editors you wouldn't think I lack for gall)

He says if they're undecided a new book might sway them. It's also the nerviest way I can imagine of pointing out that they're taking a long time (not that 3 months is long with a full submission).

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Teri. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that, but if it works? Hey, why not?

Doggehs - he hangs out on the bed, but when it's time to sleep he goes in his bed, which is next to ours. :D

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Agent agrees with Amarie. She thinks this could make my book potentially more marketable. At worst, we just need to change my title. That sounds too brightside-ish for me, but I'll trust her experience because it's easier than continuous freaking out. :tongue

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide. The only problem with DWS's advice is he does proposals through the mail and I've done both. The ones I'm concerned with right now are editors who responded to an email query an invited the full.

Tomorrow is the three month anniversary of one of the editors.

I actually have two proposals for middle grade, a nonfiction and another historical novel. Neither are written, but I have proposals.

I'm trying to imagine how the email would read:

Hi, there! I'm ready with two more books! One is for yadda yadda. The other is for yadda yadda.

I'd love to send you more complete proposals including market analysis and sample chapters. May I?

(And I hope you're enjoying yadda yadda, which I sent you three months ago at your request!)

Wouldn't they have to think I'm crazy?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Stop freaking out. The fact that it was an auction proves there are editors out there who will be interested.

Teri, I caution patience. Three months isn't that long. Sometimes, even when you're your own agent, you STILL have to wait.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Stop freaking out. The fact that it was an auction proves there are editors out there who will be interested.

Teri, I caution patience. Three months isn't that long. Sometimes, even when you're your own agent, you STILL have to wait.

"Stop freaking out" has very little meaning in the life of a writer. :)

You have to get around these bottlenecks somehow. He said he ran into the same problem back when he was doing a lot of submitting.

I actually expected him to tell me to send to a different editor using a pen name.

ETA: I really can't imagine actually doing it. Maybe it's different after you know the editors. And it's definitely different when you mail the proposals. Which may be the way to do it, actually. Mail the proposal. It's much less urgent, and doesn't require a response the way email does. Something else to consider . . .

Last edited:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, yay for mellower. Can a 13 hour day be mellow? *shudder* Thank goodness for puppies. Sorry about the battery. But any day it costs $117 to get to work, you should be in a limo.

This actually made me laugh out loud. QFT!

I dreamed all night about changing every thing I've ever written to first person. Kill me now.

*pets Turnip*

*sniff sniff* An editor who already rejected my chapter book just tweeted that she's dying for a good early chapter book. Oops -- I guess I didn't take care of that "good" part.

{{{Kellion}}} Not true. I'm rooting for you--your stuff deserves to be out there.

Cricket, your life is crazy.

Why yes, yes it is. :D

Metaphysical question: Are two shorter posts better than one long one? Yes.

((ink))

I'm feeling very jittery today. Not in a good way, but in a waiting for the other shoe to drop way. On top of that, we found out we have termites.

{{{MrsBrommers}}} Ugh, termites. How terribly Pittish.

Kellion, I found a longer description of it that sounds more like my book than the short one in PM. Ugh.

Okay, emailing will ensue. Thanks for listening to me freak.

(And to top it off, I was just told that my $1200 car repair job might not be done today, after all. So I'll be car-less even longer.)

Ink, my first reaction when reading this was, "Yay! She's got a hit on her hands!" Boo for car repairs.

Question that has nothing to do with writing: For those with dogs, how many of you let them sleep in the bed with you?

Our dog naps on the bed and snuggles in the a.m., but for whatever reason, he likes his own bed at night.

+1 Waiting is hard but 3 months for an editor really doesn't seem that long. *shrugs*

My hubs is getting a massage right now, I am not. What's wrong with this picture?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning. Cricket deserves a massage! Well, a relaxed husband isn't bad either.

Oh, I missed the bit about the termites. I hate termites. They are so ugly and of course, they eat houses.

Busy day but the hardest part will be done by 11. 'Course I also have a freelance story due tomorrow and I can't work on that til the kids are in bed. But between 11 and 9, not bad.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Kell, don't like having a definite time when something will be done? It's stressful getting there, but knowing after that you can relax a little is good.

I hate termites too. I think I've said this before, but as much as I loved teaching landscape horticulture courses, the least fun was the entomology lab. Termites are extra ugly under a microscope. I actually don't mind regular bugs, but I really don't like the ones that live together in groups. That freaks me out for some reason. Okay, now that I've shared that weird phobia, I'll go do something useful.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) Stop freaking out.
You might as well tell the sun to stop shining. Oh, wait. This is the Pit. It doesn't shine down here. But you know what I mean. ;) Freakouts and angst are part of my nature, and why I write YA.

Cricket, you totally deserve a massage. Tell your husband to share.

Kellion, good luck getting through the busy stuff.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, head explodes!!!

I'm sure this person is terrific at her job, but I don't need an agent to be my public relations manager. Just because a few writers show terrible judgement in interacting on the internet, we don't all need to be considered to have the emotional stability of a child. I'll rep anyone the link if they want it.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, rep please. And grr...I do not appreciate being treated like a child. Not ALL writers are emotionally unstable. Neurotic, yes. But, not stupid.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, rep please. And grr...I do not appreciate being treated like a child. Not ALL writers are emotionally unstable. Neurotic, yes. But, not stupid.

I deleted my post because I went too far, even for the pit.

After posting my opinion, though, I realized I'd better figure out how to change that word over my avatar to "jaded."

Now that I'm typing again, I think what the heck, why not say what I think? What you witness in that link is a soon to be irrelevant animal struggling to stay relevant. She became an agent because she wanted to be important . . .

I have to find my favorite picture book to quote you my favorite page . .. be back soon . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.