Help me crush my mother's numerology obsession.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My mother is an enigma. In one breath, she can decry Christianity because it's "all superstitious bunk." In the next, she can say that three is a mystic number that the universe centers around.

She took the phrases:

God is love
God is light
God is spirit

Assigned each letter a numerical value, and then manipulated the final number until it divided by three. She wouldn't believe that it was anything less that proof positive that the number three is special. I told her, "If it's some sort of universal truth, you could do it in Spanish and get the same thing."

Dios es amor
Dios es luz
Dios es espíritu

The numerical values were all different--so she solved for X to get something that would divide by or into 3, and LO AND BEHOLD, found the number three lurking just beyond perceptible reality.

AUGH.

It's like being stuck with Jim Carrey in The Number 23.

So I tried to show her that the number 23 does fun things too, that it's a coincidence. She said it was just a silly coincidence. But then said that 3 does these things because it is holy.

She tried to say that the bible centers around #3 -- Jesus rose from the dead in 3 days, God has 3 aspects-- (But earlier, Christianity is all superstition, remember.) So I point out that there are 10 commandments, far more than three books in the bible, and that I could take things within it and group them however I saw fit. (My mind is just closed.)

She tried to do the same thing with Buddhism. The triple gem. I counter, "FOUR noble truths. EIGHTFOLD path. She says, 8 + 4 = 12. 12/4 = 3.

And when I point out that, in pure math, 3 has no special significance, she tunes me out. (It isn't the natural log. It isn't pi. It isn't e. etc.)

And people all die in 3's, you know. Especially when you don't have any sort of time limit that they have to die within to satisfy the rule.

AUGGGHHHHHHH.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
My great grandma was the same way with numberology. It's true that 3 is regarded as a special number, especialy in many religions, but using math to find whatever higher spirit's out there has never been my thing. After all, I failed math class :)

Edit- this is the 5th post. 5-2=3. Coincidence? I think not.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And that was the 6th post. Divide by 2.

Good lord, this is a vicious circle.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
But numerology isn't superstition. It's based on numbers. Therefore it's mathematical, scientific.

And just remember this, One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one

And three's a crowd.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Is your mother related to the Freemason? my uncle is one and has explained to me that they believe that 3 is basically the base of the whole universe and the representation of perfection since, for example, the triangle is the most resistent figure and has three sides with three angle and there are 3 physical dimensions (lenght, width and depth) and there is the hypotesis that this 3 obsesion comes from the time where they were only 3 jobs: Warriors, Farmers and Priests or the divisions of the world (for example: when Chronos was defeated by his sons, they divided they realms as land, sea and underworld respectively) though even all of this can be a coincidence and 3 just happens to be the smallest number that there can be a group, it's interesting nonetheless

And yes, the secret handshakes are also based on three.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hey! We live in the third planet from the sun! and the three continental masses are America, Eurasia and Africa!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
...And there are 3 meals in a day, and the stooges 3 were, and James Dean only made 3 movies...

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the 3rd daugter of the 3rd clan Thirdupee. I was born on the 3rd day of the 3rd month, in the 3rd century--and I have been re-incarnated 33 times. Yes, I can say there is something to the number 3.:gone: