An Important Message from Our Sponsor...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
nice-to-live1.jpg

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You've got to love Engrish.

It's close: the real meaning of this is "Pay attention your safety; treasure your life."

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I've always wondered if speakers of languages with logographic writing systems have websites showing photos of, for example, stupid CJK tattoos on English-speakers.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I have a similar sign hanging above my bedroom door, in 12 languages.

-Derek

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've always wondered if speakers of languages with logographic writing systems have websites showing photos of, for example, stupid CJK tattoos on English-speakers.

I always laughed (discretely, of course) when I saw some jackass with the characters like, well, "jackass," tattooed on their arms or something. Or "men love." Or some such.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I always laughed (discretely, of course) when I saw some jackass with the characters like, well, "jackass," tattooed on their arms or something. Or "men love." Or some such.

I want a tattoo that says, in traditional Chinese, "I have no idea what this says. Point and laugh."

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if it's true or not, but there was a joke in Reader's Digest a long time ago: A woman liked the characters on a Chinese menu, so she knitted them into a sweater. When she wore it, one of her Chinese friends started laughing. The words said, "This dish is cheap but delicious."

As for this one, I simply thought the message (in their fractured Engrish, or Ray's more literate English) was one more people ought to heed.

I love you nutcases, and I'd be heartbroken if any of you got hurt.

Another less literal interpretation might be: Treasure your life over the thrill of the moment.

/sappy

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I lived in Taiwan from '68 - '70 and we constantly heard third hand stories ("my friend's Taiwanese friend said..." kind of stuff) that the clothes made specifically for, and sold to the Americans there (mostly GIs and military families at the time) often had ridiculous or mocking sayings printed on them. I never had anything translated for me first hand, but it does make me wonder now before buying anything with Chinese calligraphy on it.

When we lived there my sister and I often bought records of our favorite US bands. These were copies pressed on colorful vinyl and with locally printed covers and inserts with 'transcripts' of the lyrics. I wish I had saved them, because there were often very funny errors in transcription in those lyric sheets.