Do you write first or research first?

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I'll research up front to see if I have enough info to give my story the slant it needs, then I'll research along the way for minor details and facts. I'll bookmark everything I can find so I can find easily.

Tri
So do I. I write historical fiction, so I need first to know the environment and the greater details, then I need to deepen some details.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Since I have my degrees in history, there are several eras in which I am pretty comfortable. Usually, I get the plot line and characters going, then do the research to check the details (e.g., when would a couple have been able to waltz to Strauss' Tale of the Vienna Woods? or when did my character first sit enraptured in Carnegie's new Concert Hall?).

On the current series, however, I've moved out of my historical comfort zone (bit more vague about dates/events) so I'll have to do more upfront research initially - at least with a solid timeline.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I'll research up front to see if I have enough info to give my story the slant it needs, then I'll research along the way for minor details and facts. I'll bookmark everything I can find so I can find easily.

This. Also I'm finding that the research step gives me ideas for characters and plot.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I research first. Some of it is already in my head from school days, but I explore the time period from two POVs, for example - how the Romans felt and how the Celts felt. Knowing that give me strong leads to how the different characters would react in each circumstance.

KayEn78

Registered
Reaction score
I find myself researching a little first, then writing, then researching some more, then writing more. Bascially, I research before, during and even after I write.

-Kristi