Halp! (Virus/trojan/malware ahhh)

ChessSafari

Don't Ever Quit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twchesssafari.blogspot.com
Hmm.

Explorer seems to be working fine. All icons on the desktop are there as before. Maybe the "duy.exe" that I deleted served that purpose (i.e. association). The question is how to fix it.

Oddly, I can still open all the files where I know what program to utilize. Fortunately, that includes Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word and Mozilla Firefox. Unfortunately (so far), it does not include System Restore so that I can revert back to 8:40 ET last night.

As an aside, it opens Firefox by going to the Internet and downloading an exe file first (apparently). If I'm not hooked to the Internet, then Firefox won't open. Maybe that's a helpful clue.

Thanks again, Charles. I appreciate your insight.

Best wishes,
Frank

Deleted member 42

Hmm.

Explorer seems to be working fine. All icons on the desktop are there as before. Maybe the "duy.exe" that I deleted served that purpose (i.e. association). The question is how to fix it.

Oddly, I can still open all the files where I know what program to utilize. Fortunately, that includes Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word and Mozilla Firefox. Unfortunately (so far), it does not include System Restore so that I can revert back to 8:40 ET last night.

It sounds to me like your Registry is munged.

There used to be a Microsoft utility that would essentially do a walk-through and repair the registry; I've not had to support Windows for five or so years though, so I don't know if that's still an option.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
You can still accsess the internet. .

Download and run this

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

The steps are easy to follow but I would run the custom mode

windows.png

run the checked options . .

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
I tore down an XP install to 900 megs on one of my fun comps.

I'm loving windows 7 .. great to play with

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I really have nothing to add to this discussion, just want to say that my computer got infected by the Win 7 Protection 2012 (or something like that) and I almost fell for the fake security scan! I was about to download the darn thing, thank god I googled searched it first. :D The computer is currently in the repair shop, though, because it still had begun to infect my computer and a few of my un-backed up docs for my various stories and chapters of my novel. Hopefully, those will be salvaged. *sigh*

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
Unless the hard drive is Physically damaged . . all can be recovered . . well I meant the docs

by physically I mean the disk itself, if it is split or cracked . . which it should not be in your situation

Last edited:

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Just for the record...

after my meltdown last week, my laptop was fine. I was connected (via ethernet) to my apartment building's internet. I ran regular virus scans because I'm a hopelessly paranoid type.

All good.

I went back to my parent's house (where the first incident occurred) on Friday, switched onto their wifi...

...and within three hours of being active on their wifi network....same effing problem.

Fortunately, in my case, I had a heads-up....before the virus/whatever shows up, it shuts down firefox. Giving me ten seconds or so to shut the computer down the conventional way before it really got into full swing.

Restarted in safe mode, ran malwarebytes, and then restarted into regular. Everything cool.

I don't know whether it's (a) my parents' wifi (a secured connection) or (b) I've caught a nuisance bug that'll take away an hour of my day every Friday (both times I caught this thing it was Friday).

And I am waaaaaaaaay too much of a computer-moron to have any frikking clue.

LadyDae

New AW user. Veteran Writer 8+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollydae.com
Just for the record...

after my meltdown last week, my laptop was fine. I was connected (via ethernet) to my apartment building's internet. I ran regular virus scans because I'm a hopelessly paranoid type.

All good.

I went back to my parent's house (where the first incident occurred) on Friday, switched onto their wifi...

...and within three hours of being active on their wifi network....same effing problem.

Fortunately, in my case, I had a heads-up....before the virus/whatever shows up, it shuts down firefox. Giving me ten seconds or so to shut the computer down the conventional way before it really got into full swing.

Restarted in safe mode, ran malwarebytes, and then restarted into regular. Everything cool.

I don't know whether it's (a) my parents' wifi (a secured connection) or (b) I've caught a nuisance bug that'll take away an hour of my day every Friday (both times I caught this thing it was Friday).

And I am waaaaaaaaay too much of a computer-moron to have any frikking clue.

It may come back again. I had this same one a few weeks ago and ran malware bytes and system restored. The next day, it came back and I system restored. When it didn't disappear, I just deleted the user that the virus was on.

While it's not running now, go troubleshoot some more to see if you can find the root problem, because I think this one may come back.