XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do I get paid for this?

At the very least, do I get to wear the cool suit and shades? And the earwig?

:cool:

You get the shades and one meal a week. You like clover, right?

Glad you got sorted June.

I am going to bed. Helpful phone people are not that helpful. If the job description is to be helpful, one should be helpful. Amiright?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
And it's NOT just because the British don't know how to read or pronounce their own language, right?

And I refuse to take pronunciation advice from a people for whom "Fotheringay" is pronounced "Fong-gee," and "Worcestershire" is pronounced "Wooster-sheer."

Hmmm. So much for New Englanders as well, then. We have place names slike Worcester ("WOOHstah") and Gloucester ("GLAHstah"), and yes, a Leicester, mixed with native American names spelled like British names, like Cochituate ("kuhCHICHewit", always said very quickly), Mashpee, Chicopee, Mattapoisett, etc., just right here in Massachusetts. And of course we have the town of Athol, which is invariably pronounced differently by non-residents, such that you'd swear they had a lisp.

The thing about English as a second language, is it's very easy to get by in bad English.

That's us Americans again, lowering the bar 'round the world for the benefit of others. :)

At least we dont have 7 gramatical cases.

My brief foray into Chinese was derailed nearly instantly by the tones. OTOH, I got four years on intensive Japanese under my belt in college w/o too much problems. Aaaaand then went to France, where it was not especially useful. Haven't used it since, forgotten almost all of it. Woe! :(

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. So much for New Englanders as well, then. We have place names slike Worcester ("WOOHstah") and Gloucester ("GLAHstah"), and yes, a Leicester, mixed with native American names spelled like British names, like Cochituate ("kuhCHICHewit", always said very quickly), Mashpee, Chicopee, Mattapoisett, etc., just right here in Massachusetts. And of course we have the town of Athol, which is invariably pronounced differently by non-residents, such that you'd swear they had a lisp.

I feel your pain. The road I grew up by was named Opossum Hollow (no, I'm not kidding); it's pronounced "Possum Holler." EVERYTHING that ends in "ow" is pronounced "er." Hollow, yellow, pillow. Then there is the syllable thing. Words like "bear" and "four" and "car" and "dog" have two, count 'em, TWO syllables. You can tell who's from KY and who's not (and what part of the state they're from) by how they pronounce the name of the city of Louisville (in our area, it's pronounced "Loo'vull").

Then there's the city of Ironton. If you're from anywhere else, that place name has actual consonants in it. Here? It's pronounced "Ar'n," with a glottal stop there in the middle to make it two syllables.

My brief foray into Chinese was derailed nearly instantly by the tones. OTOH, I got four years on intensive Japanese under my belt in college w/o too much problems. Aaaaand then went to France, where it was not especially useful. Haven't used it since, forgotten almost all of it. Woe! :(
A friend of the family is trying to teach me Cantonese. She says that I have a terrific ear, and that I am the best white person she's ever heard for grasping the tonal qualities. Unfortunately, I have NO FRICKING CLUE how I'm doing it. I don't hear them at all, and am only parroting back what she's doing.

In other news, my youngest child informed me only a few minutes ago that he has a date this weekend. His first date!

:PartySmil
I'm so happy for him!

The girl's name is Destiny. But I'm not going to read anything into that. Of course not.....

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score

I've dabbled in Japanese, which hasn't been too bad, except for learning Kanji. All the little symbols look the same to me. :(

Though I should say that the syllabaries weren't bad.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Wow, go away for the day, get three pages of cantina!

My day is going from bad to worse. I just found out the company I work for is 71 million ( yes million!) in debt and folding. Who knows, I might not even have a job tomorrow. A storm is blowing in that looks like snow and I have a migraine.

I want my deer back - that was the best part of my whole day...

:Hug2:

People are idiots and screw ups and I want to scream at a certain moron. Gah.

:Hug2:

Damn it! Our network was hacked. My husband and brother-in-law are working on it, but it means I may vanish for a bit.

:chair

Fixed! My son is a network engineer. My brother-in-law is a network engineer. makes life goooooood when it comes to computer stuff.

:e2cheer:

As for English...

Well, I grew up in the Philadelphia region and live in Pittsburgh. So, yo, I'm just screwed n'at.

(Though I pretty much have an American north midlands accent.)

Though the worst bit is that I watched enough Brit TV as a kid (via PBS) that there are a lot of random British-isms that show up in my writing because that's how my characters sound.

It's how I wish I sounded, but eh, you take what you get.

Tomorrow is the last of my writing vacation. Then I get to see some friends graduate with MFAs, then off I go back home to the furry beasts of purrness.

ETA: Why am I still up???

Last edited:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I am not surprised about the dyslexia thing. I've also heard that English is one of the hardest languages to learn as a second language. Is this true? *looks at foreign language speaking people*

It's not. Over here, it's actually considered one of the easiest languages to learn, and that is taking into account German, which is relatively close to Dutch. Maybe that's because Dutch itself is a horror language :D

Another one that gets the easy nod is Spanish. That said, I would assume that whether or not a language is easy to learn mostly depends on the geographical location of the student and his or her native language.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Two more British English examples - "Featherstonehaugh" pronounced "Fanshaw" and "Cholmondely" pronounced "Chumley".

Mind you, my prize for the most unpronouncable place name I've ever come across is the Polish town of Wrzeszcz.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
We have some interesting towns in Alaska. Not difficult to pronounce, just...unlikely.

Tuntutuliak. Tatitlek. Eek. Chicken.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Continuing the TMI trend:

I got The Pill from Hot GP :)e2heartbe) today. When asked, he denied that he wanted to be able to not impregnate me. But I am on to him.

Please let this help the migraines. And pleeeeeeease don't let me regain the weight I painstakingly lost years ago (that I gained thanks to This Pill's stronger cousin). Please?

(I would have sworn we had a praying/begging smiley.)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Continuing the TMI trend:

I got The Pill from Hot GP :)e2heartbe) today. When asked, he denied that he wanted to be able to not impregnate me. But I am on to him.

Please let this help the migraines. And pleeeeeeease don't let me regain the weight I painstakingly lost years ago (that I gained thanks to This Pill's stronger cousin). Please?

(I would have sworn we had a praying/begging smiley.)

Oh yeah. He clearly wants you. No hot doctor would give you The Pill if he didn't want to not impregnate you when he seducimicates you.

This are logical :D

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Morning gang. I got up early today because a workman was supposed to come and fix my light at 8.10am before I left for work. I waited until 9.00am. He still had not arrived. I was late for work (which is okay cos my office is cool like that) but the light is STILL broken and I have no idea where this guy was. Sigh.

Morning peeps. Whut up?

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
In other news, my youngest child informed me only a few minutes ago that he has a date this weekend. His first date!

:PartySmil
I'm so happy for him!

The girl's name is Destiny. But I'm not going to read anything into that. Of course not.....

Her mother is a moron and spends too much time on the internet? j/k

I must have bumped into a thousand "characters" named "Destiny" by now on the net and even before on bulletin boards.

Poor girl. I'd be hard pressed not to sympathize enough to let her know I suspected something was very, very wrong.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mind you, my prize for the most unpronouncable place name I've ever come across is the Polish town of Wrzeszcz.

That's easy. It just looks horrid. Mind you, when I pronounce complicated words in front of my family they always correct me sharply because I dont quite get it right ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And morning folks.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, we meet again, Morning. You, and your little friend Dawn, are playing a dangerous game....

Whut up, Cantineros?

Status
Not open for further replies.