Thread viewing options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Just recently when I open any thread I'm taken to the most recent post in the thread instead of the first one. I checked my preferences and I had selected to view the first post in the thread upon opening so I don't understand why the threads are suddenly doing this. Any suggestions? Puma

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Very strange, Puma. We haven't changed any of the board settings -- I'll ask around some, though. :/

Have you tried the standard "Log off, clear cookies and cache, quit browser, restart computer" meta-fix?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My computer is so idiosyncratic I get to do that about daily. I swear my system has some sort of gremlin that has survived through three computers (but nothing shows up in embedded files or scraps of old programs or any of that). But this is the first time I've had the change order of viewing problem here. Puma

Deleted member 42

Puma it's also worth trying toggling your setting, by which I mean changing it to one you DON'T want, then a minute later changing it BACK to to one you DO want.

I'd have to go look at the code to determine whether your thread preferences are saved locally in the cookies or on the server in the vBulletin database or a combination of the two.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I found out what hybrid was :) On the first thread I opened after I put it on hybrid, it opened at the top, next thread, opened at the bottom. Ran C Cleaner and came back. Still opening at the bottom. Switched back to linear, view oldest first and still opening at the bottom of the thread. Good thought, Medievalist, but ... any other ideas? It's obviously not something that's earth-shattering if I don't get it back to linear, but that's definitely my preference for how I want to look at the threads. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
This is where I am in the user CP, menus on the left of the page

Thread Display Options
Visible Post ElementsYou have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in code)
Thread Display ModeHere you can choose the display mode for threads. For a full explanation of the modes, please view [URL="http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_thread_display"]this help page[/URL]. Linear - Oldest First Linear - Newest First Threaded Hybrid Thread Display Mode: [/LEFT]​

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You want to select "Linear - Oldest First".

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I have selected, Alleycat, but it keeps going to the newest one.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And this is happening on every thread you open?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be insulting by pointing out the obvious (just trying to help), but you do click "Save Changes" after you choose Linear?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I have - and if I go back and open it up after being off the net for a while, it comes up with Linear, oldest first as what's selected - but that's not what it does. Puma

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I'm scratching my pointy little head about this one (okay, okay, big pointy head).

Do you run a cleaner occasionally (to get rid of all cookies, caches, temporary Internet files)?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Even weirder - I opened a thread in historical genre and it stayed at the top. Went to SYW, opened a thread and it stayed at the top. Came back here to say that the problem had disappeared in the last ten minutes and boom, right back down to the newest post. Crazy.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I run C Cleaner on a fairly regular basis. I work on so many things during the day that I end up with bunches of temporary files saved that crowd up my file groupings so out they go (even though it means I have to re-sign in to places like AW even though it would appear that if I don't check to clean sign-ins that C Cleaner should let them alone.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually like ATF Cleaner for daily use, with perhaps a weekly use of CCleaner, but that's another issue.

Again (and I think you've already been through this), in this thread alone, when you check your Display Mode at the top right toobar it shows Linear?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just plain weird. We've checked the two basic options for display, and checked to be sure it isn't some kind of bad cookie/cache issue . . . and it only happens on certain threads. And apparently it's only happening to you.

*scratch, scratch*

When you view a thread (such as this) where this is happening, do you see anything at the top, or just the newest post?

Deleted member 42

Puma is this in all threads?

Would you please be so kind and go to a forum you don't usually go to, and check a thread for us?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist, if you come up with anything and you want me to try and see if I can duplicate it, just send me an PM, I'll get a notice in my e-mail inbox.

I don't know what else to try offhand.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
It gets even weirder. I checked about 20 threads and had about a 50% top of the thread and 50% all the way at the bottom result. I tried a couple threads that had multiple pages and got the same thing - I was really surprised that I went to the end of page 2 when I clicked on the main topic heading and not page 2.

I'm resigned to it - it's me (as I said, my computer does weird things all by itself - like change my text size, even start up when it's been turned off (and I watched it turn off.)

I'll live with it. Thank you for checking on it. Puma

Status
Not open for further replies.