Joss Whedon's 'Firefly'

Homewrecker

Intranational Mystery Woman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nwhellcats.org
And the Civil War and the blending of cultures. The scene at the dinner table where some of the group is using chop sticks and the others used forks. I like that their back stories are very much a part of the characters and their world. It seemed that in some shows the back story is shoe horned in on occasion in a very clonky fashion and there's a few fake words for profanity, 'cause hey we're on another planet. In Firefly, they are always there.

Another character that's not getting a lot of discussion is Book. I liked the Shepherd. I was curious to see what Whedon had planned with Book on the ship and Mal's loss of religion/faith. River trying to fix his book and what not. He's another character I felt got shafted in the film (like Wash). I initially thought that Whedon had, like the world of Firefly, made Book's religion a hybrid with a blending of some Buddhism and other eastern belief systems. But watching the series later, I think I may have just put that in on my own.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
<shrug> I dunnkow. I personally think that, for her, feminism has turned from equality to a "Women are better then men."

The worst part is, the absolute worst part is...is how she like...takes the awesome, caring, loving relationship of Wash and Zoe and just...completely screws it up. That's makes me sad, angry and confused all at once.

I don't know how many of you have ever argued with a crazy person. I mean that in the literal sense.

I debated for a hour with some random guy about how Jews were trying to take over the world and kill us all and how the Holocaust never happened...

I debated with another person how Bush was trying to take over the world and how he was going to lead a Cuop against the US come Nov 08

I debated with another person on why you should drink a cup of your own urine everyday and how aliens created the pyramids and we are also descendants of aliens who mixed with monkeys....

After reading that persons article about Whedon, she has the same gene as those crazy people. It is beyond logic, and it literally makes your brain hurt when trying to convince them of a point. It is impossible. Their brains are hardwire NOT to acknowledge any point counter to their hardwiring. You can come up with a thousand scenarios, walk them through a series of steps that lead to the logical conclusion to your point and it won't matter. The second their brains get wind of where they are going, they backtrack, scatter, go on tangeants, do whatever it takes to not acknowledge a point.

She is beyond saving. Her mind is made up and nothing, not even god almighty, can change it.

Mel...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
No, I liked Babylon 5, even the first season. It was integral to the series.

Would those of you who have seen both Firefly & Babylon 5 recommend B5 to a fan of Firefly?

At one point I picked up season 1 of B5 on DVD, but it didn't rock my world. Am I to understand that the rest of the series is considered better?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Tonight's Top 10 list ... The Top 10 Signs That It's Time For Mel To Self-Ban From P&CE

I debated for a hour with some random guy about how Jews were trying to take over the world and kill us all and how the Holocaust never happened...

I debated with another person how Bush was trying to take over the world and how he was going to lead a Cuop against the US come Nov 08

I debated with another person on why you should drink a cup of your own urine everyday and how aliens created the pyramids and we are also descendants of aliens who mixed with monkeys....

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

What the hell man? You said we'd never speak of that again...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Another character that's not getting a lot of discussion is Book. I liked the Shepherd. I was curious to see what Whedon had planned with Book on the ship and Mal's loss of religion/faith. River trying to fix his book and what not. He's another character I felt got shafted in the film (like Wash). I initially thought that Whedon had, like the world of Firefly, made Book's religion a hybrid with a blending of some Buddhism and other eastern belief systems. But watching the series later, I think I may have just put that in on my own.

I don't know if it's out or not, but Dark Horse is doing another Firefly comic book series since the Buffy ones are faring so well. There's going to be (or already is) a one-shot graphic novel that focuses on Book.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight's Top 10 list ... The Top 10 Signs That It's Time For Mel To Self-Ban From P&CE

What the hell man? You said we'd never speak of that again...

I'm struggling to see what your point is. Urine's good for the soul and we are obviously descendants of aliens with a strange monkey fetish. Duh!

Start talkin about crazy people, and BAM, they just come out of the woodwork!

III,
your right...

Jcomp,
sorry man...

Izy,
you creep me out. Stop Smiling!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Start talkin about crazy people, and BAM, they just come out of the woodwork!

III,
your right...

Jcomp,
sorry man...

Izy,
you creep me out. Stop Smiling!
Reviewing your initial post, I notice you never mentioned which side of those discussions you were on. :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Friggen crazy people.

Anywho, my teacher is a feminist. I really hope she isn't like this one, caaaause I'm doing an essay on Firefly...

AN IMAGE ESSAY ON FIREFLY!

Yes, look at page 5 of my essay.

dreamer05gf8.jpg

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Friggen crazy people.

Anywho, my teacher is a feminist. I really hope she isn't like this one, caaaause I'm doing an essay on Firefly...

Cool. :cool:

Unfortunately, my girlfriend's woman's studies professor is this kind of feminist :rolleyes:

She once caught her knitting before class started, and got angry at her for "conforming" to feminine stereotypes. When she brought up our male friend who also knits, the teacher replied, "well, he's obviously gay!" She then proceeded to explain how gays were an affront to feminism and women everywhere because "they're only doing it to make fun of stereotypical feminine behavior!"

...:Wha: ....:Headbang:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Friggen crazy people.

The next part of the scene--the leaves--I thought was one of the coolest visuals I've seen on tv.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I have two whole pages dedicated to that, with the subtitles of "Its just an object...its not what you think."

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Cool. :cool:

Unfortunately, my girlfriend's woman's studies professor is this kind of feminist :rolleyes:

She once caught her knitting before class started, and got angry at her for "conforming" to feminine stereotypes. When she brought up our male friend who also knits, the teacher replied, "well, he's obviously gay!" She then proceeded to explain how gays were an affront to feminism and women everywhere because "they're only doing it to make fun of stereotypical feminine behavior!"

...:Wha: ....:Headbang:

And she is applying stereotype to men... big wall banger there... sounds a bit like she is fond of the SCUM Manifesto (in short lines, men are walking abortions and homosexual men are just sad excuses of walking abortions trying to steal the natural feminine artistic instinct...)

Anybody heard of the professor of Women's Studies who was fired because she refused to accept men in her classes?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta be careful about objectifying things, man - that'll getcha in all sorts of trouble...:D

Arrrr, I've been hit with that sorta thing only once so far. And it was on this forum!

Well, not this part of this forum. Nevermind.

Also, do these people understand that they've BECOME sexist! Yeesh!

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's out or not, but Dark Horse is doing another Firefly comic book series since the Buffy ones are faring so well. There's going to be (or already is) a one-shot graphic novel that focuses on Book.

I found a link to the Dark Horse preview of the Firefly comic book series. It looks great!

Is the graphic novel also from Dark Horse? I really liked Book's character. All those not-so-subtle clues as to he isn't who he appears to be.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It does...though I wish they had the Chinese phonetically spelled out. I always liked the sound of it, and I would like to be able to make the sound in my mind...and its hard to sound out symbols.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Would those of you who have seen both Firefly & Babylon 5 recommend B5 to a fan of Firefly?

At one point I picked up season 1 of B5 on DVD, but it didn't rock my world. Am I to understand that the rest of the series is considered better?

Yeah it does improve. Since you haven't seen the subsequent stories, I'll try not to drop spoilers. When the characters change it may seem arbitrary, but it isn't. One of my favorite bit characters is Zathras, not to be confused with Zathras. (no, that's not a typo)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
dolores, it should be Dark Horse putting out the Book graphic novel. There's already a Firefly/Serenity comic in print (called Better Days, I think?) and you can get it in graphic novel form. I don't know what the title/status is of the new comic, if that's what you linked to.

Anybody heard of the professor of Women's Studies who was fired because she refused to accept men in her classes?

See, this is way too bad. I took a women's studies class in high school, taught by a man. I then took a gender studies class in college, again taught by a man. I took a second gender class, taught by a woman, and a women's art studies taught by a woman.

Guess which classes were better? The ones taught by men. Obviously it boils down to individual teachers, but the men were more balanced.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Firefly/Serenity Comics

Okay, I looked up the comics because I can't keep them straight.

Serenity: Those Left Behind is already available in graphic novel form (all the individual comic issues from that series run collected in one book). It was released in 2006. I don't know which one I linked to, but you can get it hardcover or paperback.

Then, the second series run called Serenity: Better Days comes out this month in graphic novel form.

Here's a link about the Book series, which looks slated to start next year. But, if you click on this link, at the bottom there's a link to another web comic of Firefly, which I didn't know existed.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Katie, for those links. I want to end the article with a round-up of links for the diehard fan who are jonesing for just a bit more of Firefly. So I'll be using all the links you provided.

On that note I came across an unauthorized novel that is available for free download under a Creative Commons License. The book is called 'My Own Kind of Freedom' by Steven Brust, and is available here.

I downloaded it and read a couple of pages. It looks pretty good and many of the Firefly fansites give from solid B's to raving A's.

I've heard of Creative Commons licensing, but I'm no expert. If providing this link is a Very Bad Thing, then please let me know and I'll edit accordingly.

And a question: I found several reports of a Firefly RPG in development, but nothing about its progress or plans for release. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks! Y'all have been such a great help.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Yes,

I will be able to get my firefly fix somehow.