A request I haven't had since high school

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got an email request for some editing/ghost writing, needed to be done fairly quick and consisted of a half dozen 500 word articles. The person requesting the help was willing to pay, not much but I can be bought cheaply, so I contacted them.

Turns out they have six articles they are publishing on a web site that they need rewritten to pass the CopyScape plagiarism checker. In other words, I take somebody's work, rewrite it in different words and this guy (gal?) gets paid for it.

I won't take it on ethical grounds, let alone any legal ramifications, I get my work stolen often enough as it is. But I was shocked to even be asked to do this. It reminded me of Jimmy Johnson* in high school, asking me to write him a term paper.

Okay, more directly, Jimmy* told me he'd beat me up if I didn't write his paper.

Anyone else see this happening?

Jeff

* Jimmy's name has been changed to mostly protect me, in case he's actually learned to read. I did write his paper (I'm not stupid, he was a mean dude) but I might have made a few errors in it. Maybe a few too many (Jimmy got a D and had to repeat the class...).

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Or, you could have some fun with it...

Re-write the articles and about five times in the text, type: "Bought", then "from a", and finally "website". Put the words completely out of context to see if anyone catches them. My bet would be they'd load them up without even looking and the student would print it out, just the same. Could be funny. :evil

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's a new one on me. But why not just ask you to write new, original articles they could use?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
God, I mean. How stupid are these people if they can't even do their own plagiarizing?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Or, you could have some fun with it...

Re-write the articles and about five times in the text, type: "Bought", then "from a", and finally "website". Put the words completely out of context to see if anyone catches them. My bet would be they'd load them up without even looking and the student would print it out, just the same. Could be funny. :evil
That's kind of awesome. :D

But it says something about how much of goody-goody I am that I immediately wondered whether it would be ethical to do that when the writer is being paid for the work.

Yes--I'm actually fretting over being ethical in an utterly unethical enterprise. Deserves a deadpan look and a very slow clap, yes?

Last edited:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Turns out they have six articles they are publishing on a web site that they need rewritten to pass the CopyScape plagiarism checker. In other words, I take somebody's work, rewrite it in different words and this guy (gal?) gets paid for it.

Paraphrase the first paragraph, and then make the rest totally, laughably wrong. Anyone too lazy to plagiarize isn't going to read the whole thing, and from a contractual point of view, you've completed the work. If they come after you, they have to admit publicly that they intentionally plagiarize.

EDIT: Ooops. I see Cathy C. suggested something similar.

jeracoo

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just throw it through one of those horrible automated rewriters, it'll pass a copyscape test but the article will be garbage.