What would American Christians do with Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
As the practicing agnostic I'am, my sister (a practicing Christian, with a very open mind) and I frequently debate some different aspects of religion and over the weekend she posed an excellent question for debate.

Would American Christians follow the words of Jesus if he were alive to preach today?

I deleted my observations, felt they were to slanted, i'm more interested in others opinions.

After reading over the thread, well, at least 90%, I am not certain if it was clarified if the original question intended to address the first instance of Jesus physically on Earth or the second?

We all know that there is not one aspect of the subject of Jesus, or of Scripture, or of His supposed spoken words that is without controversy.

I'll respond to the question as determined by His Second Coming because for someone to be catagorized as a Christian, He would have already have been here. Also, I will take the position that "the words of Jesus" would be what ever he spoke upon His Second Coming.

Given those two considerations, I would say ANY and ALL believers in the Lordship of Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of the Living, Almighty God would immediately recognize His voice/words and would bow/fall prostrate/worship. Secondly, those same believers would immediately obey, without doubt or questioning, whatever directives they were given by Jesus Christ.

Everyone else would do whatever they were going to do, including people who were "so-called" christians. Wearing a label does not determine identity.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
(Just as a footnote, Charles M. Sheldon's 1896 book In His Steps is a classic take on this question, and quite readable.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
What a fascinating thread. I'm so impressed by the level of discourse. What a bunch of writers!

I'm surprised no one has already come up with the answer that popped into my head when I read the OP.

What would American Christians do with Jesus?

Wouldn't they immediately assume he was the anti-christ?

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
These times are certainly different, but only in small technological ways. The human emotion never changes, nor does the vehicle used to express it.

It seems to me as if we're living through the dark ages again; where religions seek to control government and its people. Anyone who disagrees is an enemy and will be fought. Just look at the Bush administration and its radical religious following...the middle east and its leaders, Sarkozy in France, Afghanistan, etc. It's frightening times that we live in...but aren't they always?!
There's a great quote by Aristotle that speaks of living in dark times because of the unruly young. History repeats itself!

And Jesus would certainly choose the most unlikely place like he did the first time...what is the most lowly position we could think of?

I don't think we disagree, actually. I might disagree with you about the seriousness of the problems, but I wholeheartedly agree with you about what they are.

WRT seriousness, I feel that some of that is mitigated, at least in part, by the advances we've made in medicine, as well as the general ebb and flow of religions across borders. Things are getting better in certain areas and worse in others. Minority religions are probably less dominated than we might tend to believe. For example, I have my doubts that this
reflects what the same survey might have shown, maybe thirty years prior, in 1977. I guess I'd have to google a similar study to prove it, but the likelihood of finding a survey that is comparable is probably nil.

If in fact Jesus did choose to appear in an unlikely place, my first thought would be a third world country without adequate drinking water. I wonder if recent nonprofit commercials on TV might have skewed my view, there.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you that as of now, Jews make up 2.2 percent of the American population, as opposed to 1.7 in that survey. We really dominate everything, don't we? :D

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I understand your question deals with 'American Christians' and that's being well discussed!

But to see the differences in Jesus' mission or reception, wouldn't we have to examine how Jesus would be received in a Theocracy though (as Judea was, with an overlay of Imperial Rome) not in a "Western secular" society?

Jesus was making his points by referring to pre-existing Sacred Scriptures ... and his Life and the "religion" that arose from his life and Teachings was based upon his fulfilment of culturally accepted Sacred Prophecies. (even amongst the pagans who became Christians, much was made of the claim that Jesus had been PROPHESIED and then ACTUALLY ARRIVED etc)

To have the same or comparable impact as Jesus had then, his teachings would have to be based upon the "fulfillment" of expected Prophecy (which only exist NOW among "American Christians" as being his SECOND COMING.)

In a science-influenced culture such as America is today (where even Christians are heavily influenced by Science and Technology -- don't delude ourselves on that) ... Jesus might have to be seen as fulfilling SCIENTIFIC expectations, rather than theocratic or Scriptural ones (of ancient Palestine) -- he'd have to be amazing us via "scientific miracles" and re-illuminating scientific dogma for an amazed crowd (rather than dealing in already-fulfilled Scripture or religious "miracles")

Imagine if EINSTEIN's theories and thoughts -- in his revolutionary re-imaging reality -- had a definite RELIGIOUS SUPPORT.

If E=MC2 were a religious statement, by the long-awaited prophecised messiah.

weirdness and hijinx would ensue

I respect the question, but have to consider the tangent here. "American Christians" and JESUS?

You pose a question in which -- if he's JESUS -- they'd know him.

If the question becomes "if a guy shows up saying the same words as Jesus said, but his words aren't linked to Jesus' own words, in the minds of American Christians ..." then that's the issue. Otherwise, you're saying he'd just be preaching a return to JESUS' WORDS.

Fundamentalists are doin' awright, these days.

This "different" Jesus would still be peeing off the religious hypocrites of ancient and modern days, sure.

But the STATE wouldn't be torturing and executing him. The religious Establishment wouldn't have that authority either.

What if BUDDHA came back to INDIA ???
There aren't many Buddhists left in the homesoil of Buddhism, relatively speaking ... buddhism went throughout asia and sort of fell into disuse in India (though I think Buddha was born in what is now NEPAL?)

What if MOHAMMAD came back to Saudi?
And preached some of his messages about all the "Children of the Book" co-existing in religious TOLERANCE. (Remember, the battles Mohammad fought with Jews THEN were basically secular wars between Jewish towns over TRADING and TAXES ... not religious war) heck, originally mohammad wanted muslims to pray towards JERUSALEM, not MECCA, I've heard.

What if NEWTON showed up in London? :) He'd be all ... "quantum WHAT?" ... but then he'd be "But I see you still haven't figured out GRAVITY have you? So hah!"

'It's a Universe of crystal spheres. It's elephants all the way down after that!' ;)

You make some excellent points, and are correct in posing the same questions about other religions.

To explain my purpose in singling out "American Christians" is two fold.. First it has been my experience with European Christians that they hold their faith and beliefs much more inwardly than do Americans. (Remember this is for discussion and not meant as an indictment either way) By this, I mean that Europeans seem to keep their faith private and to themselves and their families, they don't wear it upon their sleeves to the degree Americans do. Again my experience..

So it occurred to me that a second coming of Jesus, would be welcomed at face value in other parts of the world as divine intervention worthy of events set forth in the Bible. Undoubtedly there would be issues, but for my arguments sake I would assume those issues would be echoed by Americans as well.

So secondly, in America there is so much philosophical conflict between the different faiths of the Christian order that I posed the question, not as entrapment of hypocrisy, but to understand the equivocal balance that Politics, social issues, and as you point out, even science would play against the stricter interpretation of Christ's words.. Not biblical mind you, but that of the man himself...

Status
Not open for further replies.