Dropbox -- your files are our files... no, really, they are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Via a series of tweets from Chuck Wendig, comes this link: http://bradykrissesq.com/2011/07/brady-the-terms-of-service-avenger-dropbox-edition/

About recent changes in Dropbox's TOS.

We sometimes need your permission to do what you ask us to do with your stuff (for example, hosting, making public, or sharing your files). By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent we think it necessary for the Service. You must ensure you have the rights you need to grant us that permission.

I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of giving someone permission to prepare any sort of derivative work based on my own, even on a non-exclusive basis. Or giving them the right to display things they're only supposed to store.

Then there's this little gem:

[Dropbox] may stop, suspend, or modify the Services at any time without prior notice to you. (emphasis mine)

So, they reserve the right to change their policies without telling you, and since you've given them rights to your work.... yeah... no, thanks.]

This basically leaves all of your stuff wide open for whatever. Also, given that there is nothing in the TOS saying how one might withdraw the license granted via the TOS, or when such a license might expire (one would assume it would expire upon the deletion of the account, but the TOS doesn’t say that). Dropbox’s ability to stuff with your stuff may well be perpetual.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree and canceled my account yesterday. This doesn't sit right with me at all. Maybe I was being paranoid but I like to be the only one with access to my work. They are supposed to store only. Back to the old but trusty flashdrive for me.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Considering that I use Dropbox as one of my primary forms of back-up for the most recent versions of my MSs, this part is terrifying to me.

By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent we think it necessary for the Service.

So, that means, if I have a complete, polished MS which I keep a copy of on Dropbox, they could go ahead and publish/display it somewhere and therefore burn my first rights for me? WTF?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my work is mine. I have an account with them but I haven't used it yet and with that TOS change, I'm glad I haven't. Time to cancel methinks. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not cool.

Off to look at other options now.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I checked this out. There's an update about this.

http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=846
We asked for your feedback and we’ve been listening. As a result, we’ve clarified our language on licensing:

You retain ownership to your stuff. You are also solely responsible for your conduct, the content of your files and folders, and your communications with others while using the Services.

We sometimes need your permission to do what you ask us to do with your stuff (for example, hosting, making public, or sharing your files). By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent reasonably necessary for the Service. This license is solely to enable us to technically administer, display, and operate the Services. You must ensure you have the rights you need to grant us that permission.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm kinda expecting someone in the company with a bit more common sense to step in, slap heads and modify this change to be more acceptable to users.

...Just saw previous post.

-Derek

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This update to the policy was on Dropbox's blog, with their bolding. I think it's interesting if you don't just pick and choose what you post, like the person on the OP's link did:

You retain ownership to your stuff. You are also solely responsible for your conduct, the content of your files and folders, and your communications with others while using the Services.

We sometimes need your permission to do what you ask us to do with your stuff (for example, hosting, making public, or sharing your files). By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent reasonably necessary for the Service. This license is solely to enable us to technically administer, display, and operate the Services. You must ensure you have the rights you need to grant us that permission.

I think they have a reasonable understanding of what they're saying and not trying to rip anyone off. Like,it's up to you not to store your child pr0n on your DB account. That's covering their backsides. They've also CYA'd it with the 'we can change the services at any time' - probably meaning they can expand or shrink your space if you've got a free account, and or change how and when you upload and access files.

Besides, who's got time to go through all those files on all those accounts on the off-chance there's something worthwhile? It's like saying copyright your manuscript before you submit it, because an agent might steal it. Not worth it.

Does it sound scary? Sure. In practical application, probably not an issue. And I love my Dropbox. Now that the tech department has fixed my work computer, I'm downloading it to that one too, so I can have certain files on all computers. I usually just use if for Grad School stuff, and when the semester's over I move it to my laptop so I don't overstuff the box. And I DO use it for manuscripts, but someone would have to do some pretty hard digging to find out a)which is the version I'm submitting, and b) what the hell to do with it if they did find it.

I only use the public folder for anything not mine that must be shared with other parties.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still not comfortable with the terms. I've cancelled my account, but I'm still holding the files in one place where I can put them back, should they fix things.

Deleted member 42

I'm not seeing a problem, frankly. First, you need to keep in mind their definition of Service, and remember that your content is what is, essentially "serviced," so to speak.

This is partially a cover your ass statement. It's not a rights grab; it's to avoid someone suing them for, say, having copies on a backup up, or because a user shared a file with another user--who then did something the first user doesn't like.

I'd worry more about their four-hour loss of password protection.

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
When I read this thread, I freaked out, and first I deleted my files from the Dropbox folder, transferred them somewhere else in my Documents folder, and then I went to Dropbox's website and cancelled my account. Now I am going to uninstall their program from my computer. Seriously, OP, thank you so much for this warning. Downside is I am not sure if other internet file-storage services are safe, so until I acquire a flashdrive of the same size as my former Dropbox account (2 GB) my files will stay in my hard drive and go nowhere else unless something happens to my computer and I have to perform yet another out-of-box system recovery. I thank you a million times. You rule. You've saved our files!!

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Ah ha! So my paranoia was right!

*Prints out WIP and burns internet*

Deleted member 42

Don't panic. Really. Dropbox had some clumsy lawyers, or non-lawyers that tried to speak legalese.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter--they misuse several key terms and phrases, says she who is not an attorney, but used to write TOS statements working with a battery of really smart IP and contract attorneys.

These are attempts to cover their ass if disgruntled users are, well, disgruntled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's the latter--they misuse several key terms and phrases, says she who is not an attorney, but used to write TOS statements working with a battery of really smart IP and contract attorneys.

These are attempts to cover their ass if disgruntled users are, well, disgruntled.

This. I'm not worried about my Dropbox account. It's nothing more than a clumsy TOS statement.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I am not worried. This TOS is really no different that what you agree to with email accounts, or other websites that you are members of.

And if you don't go public, then there is no reason for DB to allow anyone to view your files, nor send it elsewhere. Use it what it was really designed for, (cloud storage), and you won't have any problems...

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Jeez, freak-outs over badly-worded TOSes happen pretty regularly. Should Dropbox have been told (firmly) that their wording was problematic? Yes. But does anyone honestly think that their plan was "BWAHAHAHAHA! Now we can steal any unpublished screenplays and manuscripts our users are storing and sell them ourselves!"? (Or maybe, "Now any time an author publishes a manuscript that s/he stored with our service, we can demand a cut"?) Come on, people.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Well, the earlier version of the TOS was pretty toxic. If Dropbox had insisted, I would have closed my accounts, and shouted about it. However, as I don't think that Dropbox is (or was yesterday) after my half-finished first drafts and my novel notes in order to sell them to Hollywood, and since they responded pretty fast to the criticism, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Now that four hour open-season, I've screamed shrilly and with force about that. That warranted an over-the-top panic-attack.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
You still have your files on someone else's server. That is what I don't like and never have liked. Their files were compromised some time ago. (I had a thread on it.) And every now and then you hear about an 'employee' who takes home work or a laptop or files either mistakenly or for other reasons. (Although this has never happened with the service in question; it has happened on other sites.)

I have trouble trusting my family. I am not going to trust strangers. I know many of you disagree with this and that's fine. And no, I don't think anyone's going to take my stories and publish them or whatever. I just don't like having my stuff...on someone else's server.

Or on gmail, which lost a ton of emails about a year ago.

jmo

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm a terrible one for misplacing jump drives. Which is why I love DB. I also have three computers that I work from, and I can never remember what's on what computer! LOL.

I don't have anything important --like medical/bank/personal information on there, so I think I'm safe. It's saved on my computers as well, so I have three backup copies as well as the stored copy. And a portable HD.

But it works for me and not for everyone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
They aren't trying to rip anyone off, but by agreeing to this, they now have the legal right to rip off everyone who uses their service. This means you're fine, as long as only good, considerate, honest people are in charge. You're screwed if anyone bad, inconsiderate, and dishonest gets in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.