Manifesto for New Writers (a.k.a. 2 generations of Blacks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

comicbookwriter

Registered
Reaction score
This is a posting I found recently and while it does seem to be specific to certain race politics, I see a common thread of frustration that exists with aspiring and/or up-and-coming talent.

If you can get past the racial discussion and look at what he's saying, there's a lot of clear, honest and strong advice here:

<post deleted by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This will make an interesting discussion, but please don't quote large passages of someone else's work, especially without attribution. Please edit your post to provide just a little snippet and the link please.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard basically the same thing said about women who've made it. My view is that they worked their asses off and those who also want to make it can do the same. They lead by example. If they want to voluntarily offer advice or mentor, great. But they shouldn't be condemned if they have their own lives to live, thank you very much...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the OP has declined to acknowledge whose words these are, I'm deleting them and locking the thread.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Oh,dear lord. It is called grinding.sir. Get up and make things happen for yourself. People can mentor,offer advice,and maybe give you some leads. But in no way can they be expected to 'lift' you up and put on a cape to save your ass. Get there by your own merit and grinding ability. He's basically describing the 'crabs in a barrel' mentality that many AA's accuse each other of. This accusation usually comes from those that lack get up and go and/or talent. They didn't make it so they want to blame those that have.

But there comes a time when you ask when does the helping stop? These people got where they are by,gasp,working hard! The very same thing that you should be doing. This sounds like bitchassedness. The author seems to want to hold onto someone's teat and be raised up high. He didn't get that and now seems to be nearly whining. They don't owe you anything and aren't required to do anything for you,either.

If you get all your advancement because someone helped you every step of the way,I find that quite unsatisfying. I want to know that it was my talent and perseverance that brought me success.

Status
Not open for further replies.