South Africa, 2010

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, the curling. I always forget about that. Probably because it's so boring it creates a vacuum in my brain.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Who expected it?
North Korea made Brazil work really hard for their 2-1 victory
Portugal and Ivory Coast can expect a very tough match against N Korea

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Who expected it?
North Korea made Brazil work really hard for their 2-1 victory
Portugal and Ivory Coast can expect a very tough match against N Korea
So far, none of the favorites have impressed me.

The Argentines were blah. The Dutch, who usually play such an attractive brand of football were lethargic and insipid. Italy, who don't, were equally unimpressive. Portugal looked uninterested. Brazil, usually a joy to watch, lacked their usual flair and looked quite ordinary, except in flashes.

Only Germany stands out -- but they were playing a lower ranked team who gave them tons of space and time to operate.I'll have to see them against a tougher side before I'm sold.

England, though they didn't convert on chances, outplayed an active and fairly strong US side, so this may bode well for them, better that I first thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Spain plays tomorrow.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that was a mismatch. Australia switched confederations to give themselves a better chance of qualifying. They might have been better concentrating on improving their play.
Um, they were the first non-host team to qualify. And they lost one match in the entire run-up. One. So the switching confederations has to be seen as a great success. And how is this an either-or decision? Finally, they got hammered in one game - this does not make them a crap team. It makes them a team that played one crap game.

Given the fight they have to get any European players available for international matches (yes, I'm looking at *you*, English Premier League teams) and the gaffer's reluctance to use any players from domestic or Asian leagues, it's a wonder they get this far.

It would be nice if they actually developed any new players. They're playing pretty much the same squad as four years ago - only now they're four years older.

And now fricken Verbeek leaves two of the best scorers on the bench?!

The result was deserved, and I only hope the wake-up call wasn't too late. But I think the Socceroos missed the boat on selection; not enough goal scorers. So far, picking a defensive squad hasn't really worked out, has it?

And really - "Socceroos"? Please. The FFA wants us to refer to the sport as "football" like the rest of the world, and still this stupid name.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Argentines were blah. The Dutch, who usually play such an attractive brand of football were lethargic and insipid. Italy, who don't, were equally unimpressive. Portugal looked uninterested. Brazil, usually a joy to watch, lacked their usual flair and looked quite ordinary, except in flashes.
I watched the Netherlands/Denmark and Portugal/Cote d'Ivoire games. FWIW, the commentator on our end talked quite a bit about how important it was for these teams not to lose, since they could assume Brazil would top the group.

After the second half, the commentator was convinced - and I would've agreed - that the Portuguese were happy to play for the draw, while the Coasters were going for the win. (That all might have been different if Ronaldo's cracking first-half shot hadn't bounced off the crossbar.) The game was a pretty good illustration of how a scoreless draw can be exciting.

Yeah, I didn't see anything exciting about the Dutch either. Best viewing moment for me so far (and boy am I glad I missed the Australian debacle) - the thrilling last-gasp goal to the New Zealand side to grab a point from Slovakia.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Um, they were the first non-host team to qualify. And they lost one match in the entire run-up. One. So the switching confederations has to be seen as a great success. And how is this an either-or decision? Finally, they got hammered in one game - this does not make them a crap team. It makes them a team that played one crap game.

Qualifying was certainly a great success. But that performance was abysmal. Of course, Germany are a bad country to play if you're not up to scratch, but right now Australia look like the worst team in the World Cup by some margin.

I've seen many fine Australian sports teams over the years, and I've not noticed sympathy for beaten opponents as an obvious feature of the Australian national psyche. Seeing Australia being slaughtered on a world stage is, well, quiet funny.

And really - "Socceroos"? Please. The FFA wants us to refer to the sport as "football" like the rest of the world, and still this stupid name.

It's certainly bad, and if I hear Bafana Bafana mentioned once more I think I'll scream.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Qualifying was certainly a great success. But that performance was abysmal. Of course, Germany are a bad country to play if you're not up to scratch, but right now Australia look like the worst team in the World Cup by some margin.
No argument here.

I've seen many fine Australian sports teams over the years, and I've not noticed sympathy for beaten opponents as an obvious feature of the Australian national psyche. Seeing Australia being slaughtered on a world stage is, well, quiet funny.
Well, now we know how you lot feel. ;)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll switch allegiance to En Zed for this cup. They're awesome.

When you think about it there's no reason for an Oceanian league to exist, apart from maybe some obsessive-compulsive desire to have one federation for each 'continent'. Roll all the remaining members into Asia.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now we know how you lot feel. ;)

I think I'll switch allegiance to En Zed for this cup.

I for one have every confidence Australians can recover from this blow to their national psyche. Though it'll take quite an effort to forget that moment in the second half when the Aussie midfielders started looking like they wanted their mummies to pick them up early from playgroup. Let's just hope they don't get gubbed by Ghana on Saturday, eh?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Spain - the pre tournament favourites - lose to 1-0 to Switzerland.
First major shock

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
At least the competition is livening up now. With NZ beating Spain, Argentina turning on the style against South Korea and now Mexico beating France the last 2 days have been amazing. And what a treat in store tomorrow with germany, the US and England all to come.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
HA! What a tournament this is becoming. Germany can be added to the shock defeat by a "smaller" team. I hope this isn't a bad sign for England later. It's time to buck this continuing trend!

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Although Slovenia scored early--in the typical US exposure in the early part of the first half--I am a little encouraged by the majority of the game so far being played on the Slovenia side of the field.

We shall see, though. We shall see.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah hell. 2-0 already.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Absolutely disgraceful.

Not just because it was the US, but to ruin an incredible comeback by any team by disallowing the winning goal for no discernible reason is unacceptable.

There's still no explanation of what the call was. I watched the slo mo replays a number of times and I'm at a complete loss -- the only thing I can see is Michael Bradly being held, which might even be worthy of a penalty in itself.