The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM St George

Re: Thanks for the info

Dave, can you elaborate further? I didn't see that one and I suspect it's probably gone by now...

HB was bragging about his third book being released in October, so...

???

XThe NavigatorX

Re: That's the way I've always heard it should be

FM, turn on your EZboard private messenger thing. How are we going to tell you juicy secret things if we can't contact you secretly?

DaveKuzminski

Re: Thanks for the info

I looked to find that so I could give the topic number, but I couldn't relocate it. Quite possible that the thread was yanked.

Sher2

<How are we going to tell you juicy secret things if we can't contact you secretly?>

I like juicy secrets, too. Hint, hint!

staceeminer

still banned

seems kinda boring over there now!!
Ask one damn good question and it's off with your head. I plan to sell the hell out of my book with no help from them and then never publish with them again,,.,,all I can did at this point.
Sad thing, it is a damn good book Southern Discomfort, buy it and see for yourselves. When it does fabulously and i AM ASKED WHY, i SHALL SAY inspite of the publisher's attempts to see that it failed...
come on everybody buy a copy when it's released and help me prove my point!!!

ncq13

Re: still banned

Hang in there Stacee. I certainly feel your pain and have similar concerns. What I refuse to do though is waste all of my energy getting doors slammed in my face when I can just get my other projects in print elsewhere.

Sher2

Re: I have laughed, I have cried, and now I am being called-

<Re: I have laughed, I have cried, and now I am being called...

My book isn't even out and I'm starting to feel a little despondent. How on Earth will things improve if people don't take an honest look at where they are at and change their part in the system by saying no to reselling their own books?
How is it archaic and defeatist to want your book in bookstores? Hello! This is my Career!!! I didn't go through all of the time I spent writing and editing to sell books to my neighbors, and family! I'm not a girl scout!
I'm breathing deeply now and focusing on my next few projects...>

Ncq13, moving it over to this thread, I wanted to respond to your post. Somehow, many PA authors have become convinced that it's perfectly reasonable to buy crates of their own books and attempt to resell them. They've been told that this is the norm with all publishers and don't know enough about the industry to question it. They also believe that most books actually don't end up on bookstore shelves. One PA author even posited the opinion once that because PA books aren't sold in bookstores, ergo PA authors have to work harder, that makes them the cream of the crop and lucky to not be published by "The Big Five." The reality is that PA's business model calls for their authors to be their biggest customers. As far as I can tell, they have no desire to change that. The hype that has their authors jumping through hoops to buy up their own books has, after all, worked for them since 1999. In my opinion, PA should be viewed as a learning experience, a lesson that no serious writer would repeat. Anyone willing to be burned twice probably deserves it.

DaveKuzminski

Stepping Stone

More importantly, writers need to recognize and learn that PA is not a stepping stone to the big five nor is it a proving ground for writers to show that they can be authors.

Ed Williams 3

Dave is 100% right...

...having PA on your publishing resume is a hindrance, not a plus. In most cases, it's best not to mention it when you query legitimate publishers as most of them view PA as a vanity POD outfit, which is, of course, exactly what they are.

lastr

Re: poor child...

www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/5688.htm Where do they get fed all the bad information?

Perhaps someone more aquainted with the business/economics of PA may be able to answer this. How does PA recupe the cost of the production and printing of their books if they do not actively help to promote the books they produce? Isn't the only way that PA can actually make money is if its authors sell books? Now in my situation: (1) I do not have the funds to purchase copies to set up book signings locally. (2) Every major local bookstore either does not carry non-returnable books, or, will not carry a book by an unknown author unless said author furnishes his/her own copies (see #1). How does PA stand to gain profit from a slob in my situation? That is not to say I have not taken any steps towards promotion; brochures, web site, etc., but this falls far short of what is needed for a successful marketing campaign. That being said, has anyone tried literary grants to help finance the purchasing of copies? If so, I would appreciate any information on grants that you may have.

8/29/2004
07:32:09

RE: Somewhat Confused

Just as you get a royalty on every book sold so does PA. You take the cost of the book, deduct the cost of printing, deduct the royalty and what is left over is PA's.

A lot of authors do a great job of promoting their books but I am going to guess that most of us are no where near the 10,000 range that a traditionally publishing house, one that is not a POD, prints in order to pull in a profit. I have another post about this on the Original Message Board called "something I learned." But you may have heard that PA has printed more books this year than any other publisher so that's how they do it. Joyce Ann had a post about counting all the new releases each week and the number multiplied by 52 was phenominal. That way if I sell only 200, someone elses sells a couple thousand and so on and we come out to the same number of books another small house sells.

They put faith in the little guy to sell books and that's not something to shake a stick at. With the traditional method of printing only 1% of all books that are written get published. That means mostly celebrities and well established writers like Steven King. Kind of like a good old boys club with no room for anyone else. PA is trying to change that and they are making a big splash. That's why the NY Times is being so cozy with them.

Hope that helps,

8/29/2004
09:24:54

They probably break even at about 50 copies sold, which will most likely come from friends, family and the authors themselves. Once the initial costs for editing, artwork, plates etc. are covered, the rest is gravy until they sell the first batch, at which point they have to decide how many to print on the next run. Their business model doesn't have a budget for spending a lot of money on individual titles for promotion, but this also allows them to release many more titles than the big guys. It means we have to do a lot more work on our own, but it's a small price to pay for getting our books published. If they ever do radically change their approach, spending more of their profits promoting books, there will be far fewer people posting on these boards.

8/29/2004
09:59:20

Steve, how much do they print on the first run?

Mike, I'm in the same situation as you, not a lot of money to play with. I gave PA a full 100 names to send flyers to, so I hope that works. The no return policy, I don't know how to address when asked about it. Which is why I'm going to email support and see what they suggest my reply be.

8/29/2004
10:36:37

Many other author's posts are busy with myself on
this marketing topic ...
Go to " original author's message board " and check in particular these posts from Joan ,
" something I learned " , and " helping one another " by Sara Price .

Join the exchanges , by all means .

8/29/2004
11:36:18

I am in the same boat here....not enough funds to self-promote...i guess a little luck and of course some creative writing is really the key

8/29/2004
13:08:20

Keep in mind that I'm only speculating, as I have no direct info on their approach. That being said, I would not be surprised if their average first-run quantity was 500, since that seems to be a sales milestone for possible inclusion by Independance Books. Sales forecasting, regardless of the product sales history or fancy computer generated models, is voodoo at best. If unsold inventory rises to a certain level, they will institute a higher discount program. By the same token, when inventories are thin, no amount of begging will get you a better discount rate. The smart approach for authors would be to wait for the special rate, purchase enough books to get by until the next "special" is ran, and so on. Trying to figure out the formula for that will give you an idea of what PA deals with managing iventory of so many titles. Much harder than actually writing a book.

xxxxxx

DeePower

This 1% of all books stuff....

I wish someone would post a response on the PA board about the "only 1% of all books published are on bookshelves." There are a million books in print (more or less) according to Bowkers. The average Barnes and Noble carries 100,000 to 150,000 titles at any one time. That's about 1%. It is typical of PublishAmerica to twist that around to mean that only 1% of books published in a year are carried on bookshelves.

Of the 175,000 titles published in a year, half are not meant for bookstores. They're textbooks, technical manuals, corporate publications, medical books, very niche publications, those sorts of things.

Incidently the POD houses, Xlibris (200 titles per month), Authorshouse (500 titles) , iUniverse (400 titles) and PublishAmerica (300 titles per month) release about 16,800 titles per year, which is included in that 50% of books appropriate to a bookstore. Don't interpret that to mean the bookstores will stock POD books, they don't, but it's interesting to see that 16,800 divided by 85,000 is roughly 20%.

What a waste. 20% of the authors who are "published" every year don't have a chance of seeing any kind of success.

Dee
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

Ed Williams 3

Anyone have any idea....

...what's being posted on the "private" PA board. We need to send an intelligence operative in there and get the skinny....

:hat

ncq13

Re: Anyone have any idea....

Ed, there isn't really anything intelligent being posted there. It is more for chatting and interacting. "What is your birthday," is the most exciting topic.

DaveKuzminski

That's true. Then again, PA doesn't know about the Cult of the Dead Cow and what they're capable of infiltrating. ;)

Ed Williams 3

An email I got from a PA author, and my reply...

Dear Mr.Williams,

I was forwarded your article about POD companies and do agree with you about many of the companies that you were refering to. I however would disagree with your lack of knowledge of Publish America. This company seems to have a higher standard for its
authors and does provide service above and beyond what other POD do provide. For instance They do provide each author with a website, e-mail address, space with Barnes and Noble and Amazon. I also
understand that Publish America is now advertizing top authors with the New York Times.

I would like to thank you for mentioning my book in your article. It goes to prove my point when I titled the book and created the graphic that people will judge a book by the cover and not read it. "Hate Keeps Me Warm" is a book of Poetry that reflects a life that only a select few will understand. Selling was never an issue with me and never will be. I just had poems that people liked and
someone wanted to print so I know you will enjoy my other two books that are due out soon "Hate Keeps Me Warm, Too" (Dec 04) and "How to Get Laid Under Forty Dollars!" (April 05).

So you know that silly little title of mine that the company scammed me into has sold over 8,000 copies since April 04 and I told everyone that this book was a piece of @#%$ I wrote in eight hours on a return trip to LA.

Again thank you for opening a new market I hope your book does way better than mine since life is about so much more than how many you sell and shameless advertising in a weekly column.

Respectfully,

Ty Swartz

The reply:

Dear Mr. Swartz,

No Publish America book has sold 8,000 copies, but your humour is admirable. Frankly, PA couldn't produce that many books in the first place, but you will learn all about that in due time. Most major PODs list their books with
the major online booksellers, which means little if anything - those listings are free, and self published authors list on those websites all the time.

The New York Times thing was admirable re PA - they will get many of their own authors to buy copies to count as sales so that they will get mentioned in the ad, and that ad will continue to run as long as all of y'all keep
buying your own books. And that's the whole point, PA's marketing strategy is designed to sell books to their own authors. It has to be, because you can't find PA books anywhere else. Just tell me one thing - name one PA title
that has been stocked nationally by any major bricks and mortar bookstore chain.

Just be glad you got mentioned in a column, as waiting on reviewers to do that for you will prove to be a long, fruitless wait.

Good luck,

E3

Sher2

Re: An email I got from a PA author, and my reply...

<Dear Mr.Williams,

I was forwarded your article about POD companies and do agree with you about many of the companies that you were refering to. I however would disagree with your lack of knowledge of Publish America. This company seems to have a higher standard for its
authors and does provide service above and beyond what other POD do provide. For instance They do provide each author with a website, e-mail address, space with Barnes and Noble and Amazon. I also
understand that Publish America is now advertizing top authors with the New York Times.>

Oh, my. The letter pretty much speaks for itself, I guess. He'll either learn the facts of life or he won't.

XThe NavigatorX

He's (she?) claiming he's sold 8,000 copies? Wow. Its Amazon rank is 2,709,634 and BN rank is 619,107 (incidentally, I couldn't find it on Amazon until I put in the ISBN). I called the Ingram system and total sales for the entire year were 3. I guess the other 7,997 sales came from the PA bookstore. Or he used his 50% discount to buy 8,000 of them, which would've cost him $67,800. Plus another 4K in shipping. Or he could just be telling a fib. Or his finger accidentally hit 0 three times.

Sher2

<...what's being posted on the "private" PA board.>

There are actually some timely, thoughtful questions being raised and I'm surprised that PA has allowed them to remain. Some, of course, are answered with pap, but that's to be expected.

CWGranny

Private Posts?

Posting from the private message board seems out of line to me. Sure, I'm as curious as the next person (as long as the next person is a nosy old biddy) but it just seems a little...yuk...to post messages a group of people considered private. Obviously the authors of PUBLIC PA messages expected them to be public or they wouldn't have put them up (so posting the messages here is not really hurting the authors so much as the publisher, whom I bleed for not at all) -- but passing along private messages has always felt not so okay. It seems like there ought to be some line where we can draw and say, we won't go any further than this in the name of sport and curiosity.

gran

ncq13

Last time I had checked the private board, only the birthday topic was hot. I checked today after making my post on the birthday thing and was amazed to see some great topics up. Although if you read through, you also see the rhetoric.
Thankfully, some authors are banding together to do some promo work etc. I'm interested to see what develops.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Cult of the Dead Cow?

They're a hacker group who love to break into things that others try to keep them out of. Interestingly enough, they're also into literature and I have some friends among them. Of course, I would never tell or ask them to break into anyone's computer, but they do love challenges and some of them keep up to date on what's occurring within the literary field. You can get a better feel for what they do by performing an Internet search on their name.

It's my understanding that PA's private board has already deleted one topic because an author dared to do something they didn't like in the mistaken belief that things would be different there.

ProandCon

Private PA Posts

Sher2 (Evidently still a PA author if you were able to get your hands on the messages from the private boards). Hopefully PA will catch you in the act and take the appropriate measures to protect their privacy.

It's good to see you deleted those private messages from PA that you copied onto the site or maybe the administrator here made you pull them because it was unprofessional and unethical for you to do that.

That brings up another point. In the last few weeks, you have laughed at PA author's words that were not spelled correctly in different post several times. It's just a post so give them a break. You have no right to hurt their feeling with your callous remarks. You must be a bitter person and very unhappy in life to want to laugh at a fellow author of any caliber. And you have never spelled a word wrong! Give me a break!

I've seen some good helpful people here especially James McDonald who appears to be a very respectful and professional person who tries to help people.

Sher2, why don't you follow his example of being a decent person and when you are happy again go write the next best seller.

PA is not the best nor the worst publisher in the world. At least leave the authors who are stuck there or who are at least trying to make the best of a limited situation out of your daily comedy hour attempt to destroy PA.

Hate that I can't use my real name but when a person starts bragging about having the means to start hacking computers, a person has to worry about getting on his bad side if you say something he doesn't agree with on this and any other board. That is a scary thought so I hope he is not that close to the powers to be or one of the powers to be on this board. Don't understand why he would make a public statement like that.

Yes, you guessed it! I am a PA author.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Private PA Posts

Me have the means? That's not what I stated. Read carefully, oh great ProandCon. I only stated that I've heard some things going on within that private board.

Problem is, you want to exaggerate what you read into something far more nefarious than what was stated. In fact, you sound a lot like good ol' Larry. Now Larry likes to exaggerate what he can do to others, but he gets his jollies from beating on defenseless new writers who don't know any better. That's because they're the only ones he can handle so long as he can keep them from arming themselves with the truth.

Still, you have to admit that taking their board private will make it easier to delete topics without the general public being wise. Anything to keep ol' Larry happy, right?

By the way, ProandCon, why haven't any of the PA staff dropped by over at the Publish America Yes or No? website at URL payn.freelinuxhost.com/ to post explanations and documentation for their claims? The whole world wants to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.