PublishAmerica Chasing Me

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
It appears that they're returning rights without a fight these days.

Maybe somebody finally found a battery for the calculator and they did some math - figuring that returning rights without fuss = fewer ripples in the malcontent pond which meant less bad PR and even more customers.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I got my rights back this week. Does this mean I have to send my$1 back?
I spent it on a stamp.
Tell them you spent all of your "advance" on your share of the marketing for the book, and you cannot afford to pay them back.:)

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever you do, I would suggest you always ensure you are acting in good faith. Even if you don't like them or their methods, you don't want to murky the waters by being anything but 100% professional.

Just send the advance back to them, thank them for their time and terminate the relationship. Perhaps indicate that it isn't yet at a professional level so they would be wasting money to publish it at this time.

Just as a minor note, there is a track record of publishers getting the advance back when the author decides not to continue with publication - and it seems only reasonable. (I'm thinking of a case earlier this year of a tell-all expose book that theauthor backed out on, leaving the publisher high and dry. In that case, the publisher had done a heck of a lot of work on legal fees, ARCs editing etc ... and all they did was get the advance back. I felt sorry for the publisher.)

Mac

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That dollar has probably circulated through all of our hands by now. Twice.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
PA wouldn't let this go to court because they'd then have to admit they only pay a dollar in advance to all authors.