• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Poetry.com / International Library of Poetry / Watermark Press

writersweekly

Looking for New Yorkers burned by Poetry.com, related firms

An investigator with the New York State Consumer Protection Board, a state agency in New York, has posted a note seeking New Yorkers who are poetry.com victims (and victims of related firms).

See:
www.writersweekly.com/php...php?t=1736

It's about time somebody did something about that company!
>: (

Hugs,
Ang

James D Macdonald

Re: threatening agencies

An investigator for the New York State Consumer Protection Board is seeking New Yorkers who have been burned by Poetry.com "and related companies from Maryland. "

See the notice here:

<a href="http://www.writersweekly.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1736" target="_new">www.writersweekly.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1736</a>

Bosoxx

Re: Looking for New Yorkers burned by Poetry.com, related fi

I think i'll drop him a note.. i live in New York and i was recently burned by Poetry.com

-Keith

Jarocal

Re: threatening agencies

I finally went on the Poetry.com website. I was never there before because I wouldn't submit my work to someone where they automatically get rights to it by my submission for free. Out of curiosity, I clicked on their "get Published" link to see how much they bilk out of people for a less than mediocre service. I was genuinely suprised to see they would want $1300 dollars to send someone 100- 60 books with no ISBN registration, uncopyrighted, and a text only cover. Cover art and illustration could be added with extra fees. For considerably less, a person could produce the same type/quality books on a home printer and hand bind them. Poetry.com could even send your submissions to Kinkos and have them print out the pages and bind them for less than poetry.com charges. I wonder if that's what poetry.com does? They could just send the files to Kinkos.com and then just repack them in a non-kinkos carton for shipment to the aspiring Poets they bilked. A nice, shady way to legally fufill the contracts they offer while allowing any discrepancies to be categorized "an outsourcing issue". With the number of submissions they continue to recieve each day, they could easily shove responsibilty off to whatever printing sources they use. Slimy businessmen they may be, but an investigation may prove that what they did was morally wrong, but still a legal way to swindle money.

EmeraldEyedVampireJedi

Re: poetry.com

Hi guys. When I was a kid I submitted a poem to them and it got published in one of their anthologies. I was gutted when I couldn't go over to Washington for the grand hoo-ha. :p

Last year I submitted another poem it is on their website. I had thought-"Why not?" and foolishly, thought maybe they had changed hands and were legit now.

I wanted to say to anyone who has submitted poetry with them-you're not alone and at least it is a learning experience and you may get published.

It stinks you don't get at least ONE free book.

The worst of it is they prey on young kids and older people aswell...

Arisa81

The manager of my apt building submitted a poem to poetry.com and was really stoked about the letter he got in the mail from them.
He's one of those know-it-all kinda of people so he doesn't really accept the fact that the whole thing is a scam. :headbang
Ah well, what can ya do?

April:star

ZoeJesnik

Re: Poetry.com

A couple years ago I received something in the mail from poetry.com. I decided to send in one of my poems. I did get a response and was rather excited until I began to see that it was all about the money. I don't advise falling for this and losing your money. It is the same basis as becoming self-published (I did that too!) in that you are essentially paying to see your work in print, not to mention the travel expenses. They must be on the up and up to not have been shut down - however, how much money are you willing to pay to see your words in print? Better to publish a short book that you actually get paid royalties for than to just give away your poem.

I would steer clear of them if possible. :shrug

[email protected]

www.geocities.com/zoejesnik

thelittlestslut

Evil Capalest Comany

(Sorry if i spell some stuff wrong i may be a writer but i have a spelling issues) I'm a 15 year-old gurl from VA and i too was scammed by this company when i was 14 i really thought they were a ligament company until i realized they were praising the worst poem i had ever written and they didn't even fix the spelling of one of the words. It really hurt and for a while i quite writing poems although my poetry was one of the too major writing genres that got me into a school for the arts

bentbrains

Re: Evil Capalest Comany

That is a sad case. As writers, we need critiscism to get better, even if it hurts at the time:smack did you know that you can spell check your postings by clicking "spell check" at the bottom of your screen?:grin

bentbrains

Re: Looking for New Yorkers burned by Poetry.com, related fi

email my friend [email protected]. Her name is Traci and I know she'd like to help your cause@
-Susan

Rosebaronet

My encounter with poetry.com

Ok, I am a college educated student graduated with honours, and I got scammed

When they accepted my poem as "semi-finalist" I suspected the following:
1, They were after the money, and sell books.
2. Publication depend on the ordering.
3. They'd have hardtime marketting the anthologies.
4. Book will sell 600 copies with 600 authors purchasing one each.

I was willing to overlook all the above aspects if the selection process was genuine, I was offered publication in two books and I bought both of them, $140.00...(Vanity really does impair reason)

I did a bit of research and saw that they advanced everybody to semi-finals, it felt like a slap in the face. LOL...so i wrote this poem and submited to it.

Poetic license granted by the power that be,
Certifying my talent is rare, exceptional and free,
Honouring me the chance for the world to see,
The extraordinary talent displayed by me,
I felt the blood raging in my caffeine-intoxicated vein,
I felt my head inflated to the point that I felt faint,
I forgot the sages’ teaching that vanity is a sin,
And threw caution to both the wind and the dustbin,
I looked at the “poets’ proof” again yet again,
Finally a poet - all doubts slain,
Until my niece who is in her second grade,
Showed me her poet’s proof with smiling shade…
It was embarrassing, least to say,
It was humiliating, all the way,
For the price of a bottled wine,
Anyone can get a publication for 49.99.
So I am staring at the stars again,
Mourning for my pride slapped then slain,
Divine punishment fell furiously from the roof,
As my poet’s proof politely went poof!.

sweetmags2mi

BBB

I did a background check with the BBB and it states that the company is in good standings with the BBB.

James D Macdonald

Re: BBB

If you needed proof that the BBB is worthless as far as checking out publishers and agents, you couldn't ask for a better example.

Poetry.com isn't doing anything actively illegal, but they're slime.

Here's their scam: Anyone at all who submits anything at all is accepted. You're a finalist! Hooray for you!

You're offered a copy of the book that your poem will appear in, at an outrageous price. $49.95+$8 S&H. You'll want to buy one, right? And mom will want one too. So will Miss Krantz, who taught you in fifth grade....

No one else in the world would conceivably want a copy.

If you don't buy a copy, well, all you've lost is whatever value is in the first publication rights for that poem.

But you'll want to buy a copy or two, right? (Why do you think it's called "vanity press"?) They only print up as many as they have orders for, so order early.

But wait! There's more! For small additional fees you can get more and more and fancier and fancier things. Right up to their convention and awards ceremony.

Is submitting your poem there a good idea? No. Are you really "published"? Well, in one sense, yes: Your poem will have been made public. Will anyone read it? No. Will it count as a publishing credit to further your career? No. If you call yourself a "published poet" based on your appearance in a poetry.com anthology you'll get laughed at.

These people are cynically stealing would-be poets' dreams. They may be in good standing with the Better Business Bureau, but their souls are stained black with sin.

PianoTuna

Re: Evil Capalest Comany

Bent, it was probably a spellchecker that spelled 'ligament" for her. A bad case of dyslexia, spellchecker can't tell what word they mean and they can't tell it's guessed wrong.

veingloree

Ah, spring is in the air and threads about PA and P.com are blooming. I fell for these guys back when I was a teen, but not to the extent of actually sending them any money.

LiamJackson

Two days ago, I received an e-mail from these people stating that I had been selected for some prize, yada, yada, frigggin' yada. At the bottom of the mail was a disclaimer offering to remove me from the distribution list.

Now, the odd thing is, I've never submitted anything to these people. Considering that I'm allergic to poetry, (primarily because I really suck at it) and that I've only written two or three poems in my entire life, I really have to wonder:

1. Just exactly what poem am I being "honored" for?
2. How in the hell did I get placed on the distribution list for something I've never submitted?
3. If I am a "winner/honoree," why is it costing me money to claim my award? (Yeah, yeah, that question is purely rhetorical. We all have the answer.)
I've requested a copy of my "winning submission." No reply as of this date.

Perhaps these folks just recognize my latent genius and decided to honor me for something I might write in the future. Or maybe...naw. Surely, they can't be scammers! *snicker*

AnneMarble

Just giving this thread a bump, so others can see it.

Just to bump it along...

I was watching TV recently (People's Court again, ahem :eek: ). Among other things, the plaintiff was actually suing a woman for a poem he had given her. It may have been his only copy of the poem. (Always keep a copy!) This poem was very very important to him. And he proudly mentioned that it was an International Library of Poetry finalist. :eek

What's sad is that he probably thought that being a finalist with those people meant something. This guy probably thought he was an award-winning poet because they had told him so. This is the type of person they prey on. Although he was an annoying plaintiff without much of a case, I still felt sorry for him at that moment. :cry

Gentle

Poetry.com sent me a piece of mail today....

It was the usual "yadda-yadda" you all have been talking about here.

The strange thing is....

I had never been to the Poetry.com site before today.

It looks like someone went to their site, registered as me (using my home address information) and then posted a poem in my name on their website.

The problem is, this poem is a sick piece of prose.

The poem, credited as being written by me, actually states that I like to do a "sexual crime" with little girls.

They actually sent two different letters with this poem in it. One was a large "window" letter that had the poem exposed for all to read. The second has it on a printed document, not exposed though.

This poem is posted on their website for anyone to see. All they have to do is enter my name and it is displayed.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Is this libel?

Gentle

James D Macdonald

Re: Poetry.com sent me a piece of mail today....

Hi, Gentle.

I'm not a lawyer. (In my opinion you should be talking with someone who is.)

That being said: What you're talking about is common enough that it has a name: a "Joe Job." That's forging someone else's name on the internet in order to defame that person.

That's libel, and with a subpoena you should be able to find out who really sent in that poem.

Best of luck.

LiamJackson

Gentle...

My little issue certainly pales by comparison. Best of luck in having you problem addressed and corrected.

orientcelts

poetry.com

Like everyone, I submitted a poem and was told that it reached the semis. Before long, my poem went to Sound of Poetry. I was excited (naive me). Almost wished they would give us a complimentary copy of our work. I even received an Editor's Choice certificate but they printed over my name that it looked rubish. :bang

JesusFreakSue

After receiving numerous letters from Poetry.com and me throwing them away... I received a hard bound book today titled Tracing The Infinite. I think its funny how my poem is in the front of the book but the pages don't match up. The pages where my poem is is shorter than the other pages. I am not sure why they sent me this book when I canceled the order for it and I got my money back. I never responded back to all the letters that they sent me.

James D Macdonald

More than one person has reported that their poem was the very first one in the copy(ies) of the book that they ordered from Poetry.com. Even in what should have been the same edition, people who compared notes found that their own poem was in their copy (apparently pasted in the front), but not in anyone elses' copies.

I suspect that what happened was that poetry.com printed up a whole bunch of copies of one of their anthologies, and rather than go back to press just Xeroxes your poem and puts it in your book.