• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Great blog post, David. Thanks.

+1. Very well-thought-out.

I'm a DGLM client as well and I see no problem with what they're doing. I can't imagine my agent pushing me to self-pubbing if I'm not interested, and I know they fight hard for their clients.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I just did a blog post on this.

No matter how people try to spin it by talking about the payment arrangements (which really aren't all that clear at this point--15% of what?), or calling D&G an "estributor" rather than a publisher, I think it's a problem (D&G is not alone in doing this, BTW--Laura Rennert at Andrea Brown is doing something similar). It's not a problem that can be solved by the agencies themselves, though. Agents' associations need to take the lead in looking at the issue and amending their conduct codes to address it.

- Victoria

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
No matter how people try to spin it by talking about the payment arrangements (which really aren't all that clear at this point--15% of what?), or calling D&G an "estributor" rather than a publisher, I think it's a problem (D&G is not alone in doing this, BTW--Laura Rennert at Andrea Brown is doing something similar).

For those who don't know, Laura Rennert is Barry Eisler's wife.

Also slightly interesting, no?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. It's not like it's a secret.

And just FYI, he doesn't have an agent at all, he represents himself in negotiations.

He's not still with Dan Conaway?

No, it's not a secret, but there are probably a lot of people who don't know. I find the incestuous nature of publishing interesting, especially when a subject like this arises.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I'm just interested in all the ins and outs of publishing.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
He's not still with Dan Conaway?

No, it's not a secret, but there are probably a lot of people who don't know. I find the incestuous nature of publishing interesting, especially when a subject like this arises.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I'm just interested in all the ins and outs of publishing.

I believe they parted company around the time he walked away from the SMP deal (or a little after). They had definitely done so by the time he signed with Thomas & Mercer. He stated that he no longer had an agent and that he represented himself in negotiations (he has a legal background).

The ins and outs are interesting, for sure. DGLM are Joe Konrath's agents (in fact, he has been calling for a service like this for some time).

And they also signed John Locke a little while back (and one other self-publisher I can't quite remember).

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
They've discussed the issue of how many publishers before they give up today.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
There are certainly some complicated threads of connection for some of the defenders of D&G's new venture. But in general I think that people are more willing to give D&G a pass on this because it's such an eminent agency. If one of the more marginal agencies were proposing this kind of venture, I think there'd be a much more unanimous chorus of condemnation.

The real issue here isn't D&G, but the trend of agencies stepping into publishers' territory. There are many major potential pitfalls for authors when the entities that are supposed to represent authors' interests to third parties become those third parties themselves. Agenting is an entirely unregulated field (I'm talking about regulations specific to the business), and I'm concerned at the prospect of such a major expansion of agents' unregulated activities.

- Victoria

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I actually agree, Victoria. A lot of it is knowing my agent and trusting him and knowing other clients of his and seeing him fight for them. I also, personally, like that they're allowing the option, which is how I see it.

I do think it does open up the potential for abuse, but in this case I'm not concerned and I don't actually see this as the agency acting as publisher in the sense that some of the other agencies are doing. I've also seen three agencies this week mention similar things, though DGLM is the only one that's made an official announcement (Kristin Nelson is supporting a client in self-publishing, no idea in what function or how involved, and Rachelle Gardner's agency is workign out details).

This is a tough one because I think agencies will feel the need to offer something to clients who wish to take this route, and as a writer I like the idea of knowing someone's got my back. As you said, though, it does open the door for unscrupulous folks to be unscrupulous.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm not saying agencies should not be doing this. That would be stupid--I think it's inevitable that agencies will move more and more into publishing and publishing-like activities. But there are real, serious concerns, and agents--and agents' associations--should be carefully considering how to address these as they launch these new activities. Are they considering? Who knows? That's the problem, as I see it.

- Victoria

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you one reason I think it's a problem: who says Dystel & Goderich have the appropriate skills and expertise? They know about being agents, but agenting isn't publishing, and they've never struck me as the hands-on type.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
So, I've got a quick question. I queried Jim McCarthy two weeks ago with no response. I know that is still pretty soon to be worrying (especially since their site says 4-6 weeks) but it seems he usually responds to all his queries within two days. I've seen on QueryTracker numerous people have send a query after mine and got very quick responses.

Do you think in this circumstance that it would be okay to re-send? Or should I wait the 6 weeks like a good girl?

Nandini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nandinibajpai.blogspot.com
Queried Jim McCarthy on 9/29 and got a full request the next morning! First full since I've got back to querying so I'm stressed (but hopeful). At least he seems quick.

glion

Registered
Reaction score
The D&G submission page says, "Enclose a cover letter, outline or brief synopsis of the work (with word count if possible), a sample chapter, and a stamped, self-addressed envelope for our response." Is the "outline or brief synopsis" they request simply a 1-2 page synopsis, included with the query? On their blog it seems as though some of D&G agents consider a synopsis optional but I suppose one shouldn't disregard the above...right?

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
The D&G submission page says, "Enclose a cover letter, outline or brief synopsis of the work (with word count if possible), a sample chapter, and a stamped, self-addressed envelope for our response." Is the "outline or brief synopsis" they request simply a 1-2 page synopsis, included with the query? On their blog it seems as though some of D&G agents consider a synopsis optional but I suppose one shouldn't disregard the above...right?

I think you're safe following the individual agent's submission guidelines.