Looking for new bands to love

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
It's been a while since I've fallen in love with a band.
I look at my recommendations on Spotify and Last.fm and somehow nothing grabs me. I thought maybe you guys have some recommendations?

My 3 main loves from when I was 18 to today:

Muse (though I didn't like their most recent album and I'm a bit bored of them, which shocks me as I used to love them to pieces.)
Placebo
Nightwish (when Tarja left, I lost interest. I was always very much in love with opera vs. heavy. However Epica, Within Temptation etc. never had the same effect on me as Nightwish.)

I love "The National" and "The XX"
I also like The Beatles. And Alanis Morissette.

Maybe I'm just weird and my taste makes no sense?

I listen to a lot of Soundtrack and people like Lindsey Stirling. But that's not what I'm looking for. I'd like some non instrumental recommendations.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cold War Kids? The Kongos? Gin Wigmore?

BTW, Matt Bellamy recently stated that he relistened to Muse's last two albums and said to himself, WTF? He has vowed to return the band's sound to the basics of space rock....new album coming for Christmas...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I absolutely ADORE Nahka & Medicine for the People. My favourite band right now.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Cold War Kids? The Kongos? Gin Wigmore?

BTW, Matt Bellamy recently stated that he relistened to Muse's last two albums and said to himself, WTF? He has vowed to return the band's sound to the basics of space rock....new album coming for Christmas...

I've seen that. Hopeful but not yet convinced! :)

Trying out your suggestions :)

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
In a sort of similar genre to Nightwish (power/symphonic metal): Avantasia, Kamelot, Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire (same band, but on Spotify they have stuff under both names) and maybe Serenity are worth checking out. Oh, and Edenbridge. I knew there was one more for that list.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Based on Nightwish, I'd suggest certain songs from Kamelot, and you might look into the songs that Tarja has now. I'm a fan of 'Anteroom of Death' and 'I Walk Alone.' Maybe take a look at Xandria.

Also, on a bit of a tangent, but has some similiarities, maybe look at Josh Groban (Canto Alla Vita), and certain songs from Blackmore's Night.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
...while I'm on a detail bender...

Epic/Chamber

1) Therion, "Sirius B" (2004), recommended song-- "Voyage of Gurdjieff (The Fourth Way)", "Son of the Sun";
2)Theater of Tragedy "Velvet Darkness They Fear" (1997), recommended song--"Seraphic Deviltry";
3) Tuxedomoon "The Ghost Sonata" (1991), recommended song--"Music Number Two";
4) Caprice [Tolkienists] "Six Secret Worlds" (2009), recommended song-- "Craft". A second fine song is "Merrymaking of the Forest Elves", from "Elvenmusic" (2001);
5) Agalloch "Pale Folklore" (1999), recommended song--"As Embers Dress the Sky";
6) Borknagar "Urd" (2012), recommended song-- "Frostrite";
7) Amorphis "Silent Waters" (2007), recommended song--"Silent Waters";

Alternative
1) Au Pairs "Playing With a Different Sex" (1981), recommended song--"You";
2) Pretenders "Pretenders" (1979), recommended song--"Precious";
3) CSS "Cancei der Ser Sexi" (2005), recommended song--"Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above", "Alala";
5) Ladytron "Light & Magic" (2002), recommended song-- "Seventeen", "Flicking Your Switch", "Turn it on";
6) Pyogenesis "Twinaleblood" (1995) recommended song-- "Weeping Sun"; "Addiction Pole"
7) Lake of Tears, "Black Brick Road" (2004), recommended song--"Black Brick Road";
8) Tiamat "The Scarred People" (2012), recommended song-- "Thunder & Lightning";
9) Plasmatics "Coup d'Etat" (1982), recommended song--"Put Your Love in Me";
10) Sigh "Gallows Gallery" (2005), recommended song--"Midnight Sun"

Beatles
Recommend song "Day in the Life" :D;

Additional; gentle atmospheric black metal
1) Morgart "Die Schlacht (in Acht Sinfonien)" (2005), recommended song-- "In-A Dur";
2) The Summoning [Tolkienists] "Oath Bound" (2006) recommended song-- "Beleriand";
3) Asgaroth "Absence Spells Beyond" (1999), recommended song-- "Victorious Men of Earth".

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Thank you, will try all your suggestions. And I actually own Sirius B from Therion so I'm looking forward to trying everything out :)

Of course "Day in the Life" is a most brilliant song!

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Judging by your taste, you might like this band from Brazil, Bixiga 70. I saw them live at the 2014 Mawazine music festival.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I hope you find interesting stuff in the recommendations:)
The band Pyogenesis become sickeningly positive later on their career, but if you ever need a serious pick up from the blues, their song "Empathy" from that period is so packed with vibrant joy that it's impossible to not wake up from the funk.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Mostly avoid modern music. One newster I happened upon is Olivia Ong. Pretty cool. Lovely voice.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Trying out all your suggestions :)

Except for David Bowie, I somehow never managed to get into him ;) My mother was a big fan.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This.

ETA: Oh stop it. Close your eyes and listen. It's sublime.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is.

I grew up with classical music. Until I went to school and actually spend time at other children's homes I didn't even know what pop music was.

*sigh*

It's the Other Children's Homes that ruin everything...

ETA: If you like words, you might like Tim Minchin. I do.

ETA2: Of course, if you prefer chords...

Last edited:

AllenC

Registered
Reaction score
On the "I love Alanis Morrisette" Angle, I have this surprise for you:

She sings like Alanis, and the music is on the genre too ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1lXdLus2WI

Some songs I can think of:

Save my life - Xandria
My minds eye - Sirenia
Marz - Megahertz
The promise - From this moment
Taivas Lyo Tulta - Terasbetoni
Engel - Ramstein
Ravenheart -Xandria
Little Angel - Charon

If you like any of those I might be able to point you to other songs on the like.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
On the "I love Alanis Morrisette" Angle, I have this surprise for you:

She sings like Alanis, and the music is on the genre too ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1lXdLus2WI

Some songs I can think of:

Save my life - Xandria
My minds eye - Sirenia
Marz - Megahertz
The promise - From this moment
Taivas Lyo Tulta - Terasbetoni
Engel - Ramstein
Ravenheart -Xandria
Little Angel - Charon

If you like any of those I might be able to point you to other songs on the like.

Oh Eluveitie, funny thing is I used to go to University with one of them and their violinist who then left and is starting a solo career, used to work with me. So, I've been to two of their concerts and really tried to get into them, but I never managed. I think they're too heavy or not melodic enough, not sure which is the problem. But lovely people!

I never really liked when the male singer does that typical "screaming" metal thing.

I love Rammstein :) (which btw, makes no sense after what I just said about male singers!) Will try out your other suggestions!

Last edited: