Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Mystery of life, why is it when life starts to get better, something horrible comes along to screw it all up again. Seem to happen to me alot lately.

Morning everyone... hummm still no new thread?

ETA: Crisis adverted!!! You see my school put an F as my grade for Biochem... I FREAKED OUT!!! Turns out its because my freaking professor never gave them my grade or got in contact with anyone saying I completely the work for the class... I almost had a freaking heart attack.GRRRRRRRRR my teacher had almost three weeks now... to grade one MC test. SERIOUSLY!!! WHAT IS TAKING SOOOOOO LONG!!!!????

Last edited:

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Glad it was just a mistake in the system, Ally. :)

I just took my first exam in my psych class. I feel significantly less confident about it now than I did while studying last night.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I always feel like that after an exam. Dont worry i'm sure you did great!

Yeah it was only a mistake, sadly though if she doesn't get back to them soon that F might stay there. So I'm going to hunt her down today.

Even worst is my Adviser get that report that i got an F... and knowing him and how much he already hates me, he's probably in his office right now giggling and looking up my schedule so he can wait outside my class pull me aside and tell me more or less "I told you, you would fail... now what are you going to do dumbass? Your ass is out of here"

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I think I need to outline TMB. I'm finding it difficult to write and I think the fact that it's journal format and I don't have an outline has something to do with this.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok Question. I know the guideline area for YA books are between 65-100K. depending on genre... I've also read on a lot of sites that "this number can vary depending"
So is 115-125K rage way too off target? Or is it acceptable just not recommended?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel like that after an exam. Dont worry i'm sure you did great!

I know I did great on the fill-in-the-blank but I had to BS my way through all of the short-answers. I only had a vague idea of what the answer was.

Ok Question. I know the guideline area for YA books are between 65-100K. depending on genre... I've also read on a lot of sites that "this number can vary depending"
So is 115-125K rage way too off target? Or is it acceptable just not recommended?

It's acceptable but not recommended, yes. The main thing with having a long book is there has to be a reason it's that long. The thing I hate about long books is a lot of them drag on forever. If you can keep the pace moving throughout the entire book, though, then it doesn't really matter.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
You said it was psych right? then i think you will be fine if you BS'ed them. I did that alot and got away with murder in that class! hehehe. Psych is just a bunch of open ended loose "Theories" anyway.

Ok! YAY! I'm not so worried now. Its just alot of land my MC's have to cover. In my opinion the pace stays pretty quick the whole book. Beginning a little slow... but that's because its Beginningsville, everything in that hellhole is slow and boring. I'm at 103K right now and i'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get done with Ashland, and the Unknown by 111K give or take. Then the ending... well that is up in the air! Sadly I realized the ending i originally had planned didnt fit Evy at all, so i'm altering it a little... so that's going to take up a few K.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OH MY DAYS FINDING OLD GAMES I USED TO LOVE = SO MUCH FUN.

FUCK WRITING. XD

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
You said it was psych right? then i think you will be fine if you BS'ed them. I did that alot and got away with murder in that class! hehehe. Psych is just a bunch of open ended loose "Theories" anyway.

1. Psychology is my major.

2. Technically the class is applied behavior analysis, but I just call it psych because it's easier.

Beginning a little slow... but that's because its Beginningsville, everything in that hellhole is slow and boring.

Not true. I know some books with excellent beginnings. Hunger Games for example.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Beginnings have to be able to hook the reader -- or they fail.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, i completely agree. (actually tied buying Hunger Games in a bookstore but they were out yesterday... felt like seeing what the hype was about) Every other book i've written starts off quickly with a fast bang. This one is slower (not snail slow but not OMG!!!) on purpose. The only pacing difference in the book.

Oh yeah my old roommate was a psych major. She hated that class! Yeah me and psychology classes arent friends. hehehehehe. I always pissed off my teacher because i couldnt help but challenge some things he said. The guy always said keep an open mind but was a pure Freudian... So i couldnt help but remind him to follow his own rule. He really didn't like me because i was a Chem major. He had the preconceived notion that all Chemistry majors had closed minds and thought there science was a real science and psychology was just BS. (Personally i did believe that a little but I never told him that.) I took it for better Character development background and it helped. Wasnt all BS in the end so i learned a good bit.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Hum... they didnt offer it at my school till your second year. And yes teachers are much different.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME!!! Ahead of the game! Way to go! I'm glad you love it. Trust, from someone who utterly hates there major that joy in a field of study is EVERYTHING!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Glad your in a field you love now!!! Good luck with it!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've got you beat, Ally - my little brother was told that he'd failed his degree and not to come back to university because they accidentally hit zero when entering his marks.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!? Please tell me they fixed the mistake! PLEASE tell me they weren't that heartless!?

Yes that totally wins!!! (Although i can so see my adviser "accidently" failing me hehehe)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get Sonic games similar to the classic ones for the DS/3DS?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Karla.

I Googled, and it looks like there's a new game. :/ I need to go to the game shops.

I think I also need to pick up card (one A3 or two A4) and post it notes for TMB...

How's your writing going?

Status
Not open for further replies.