Where do I start?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all. So I'm attempting to outline a novel I'm pretty sure would fall into the historical category--a retelling of Notre Dame de Paris, focused more heavily on the gypsies. Next semester I'm taking a class all about gypsies, so I'm not really worried about that.

But most of my work is YA fantasy, not YA historical. The most historical research I've ever had to do was for a character who happened to be in Italy during the 1600s a long time before the book.

I've been skimming through this section of the forum, trying to find anything relevant to France in the late 1400s, or the history of France in general. Other than that...I'm lost.

So, historical experts--what do you suggest for someone who is just getting into writing a historical novel?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like maybe you have access to an academic library. I'd recommend doing a subject search for medieval France. Find yourself a couple of good nonfiction books about that time period and start there. That's how I acquaint myself to a time I'm not familiar with and want to write about. Then you get get more specific into details. But I'd start with books on the general history of France in that time.

Edited to add: Because I'm procrastinating, I went ahead and searched my university's library and found a book that looks helpful: David Potter, France in the Later Middle Ages.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Hm, it sounds like you might have a general grasp of the time period, though I might be making assumptions. If you plan to write a full novel, you should start by reading widely about the period in question. You'll need to read about the kings, queens, social history, European politics, art, and so on just to get grounded in the period. Then you need to get more specific. You'll want to read about Paris, Notre Dame, the Church, and gypsies (you have a head start on that with your class!). You will also need to get as deep as possible into the day-to-day stuff. What kind of food did they eat? What kind of things did they do with their free time? What kind of clothes did they wear?

I'm afraid I don't have a good reading list for you since I'm not all that familiar with the period (I'm much more knowledgeable about the same time period in England). But my general advice is to start on the outside, work your way in--and take notes! You won't remember it all otherwise.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
So, big history first, little history later. Probably good advice, so I don't find myself wrapped up in France's interior decorating from 600 years ago (that happened when I was doing my Italy research) before I know what the economy was like.

Time to dive into the library :D

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, absolutely. Get big picture first. And no one here kill me, but click through some Wikipedia articles. You'll get a very general sense of the politics, economy, and legal system, which is helpful for when you get the big history books. Also, check out the citations for the Wikipedia articles. Usually some good resources there to delve into. (Just please don't limit your research to Wikipedia! :) )

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I love using Wikipedia's citations to go find other things to look at. I would never cite Wiki itself as a source for definite fact-checking, but if I can use them to get to something more legitimate...definitely.

ETA: My school's library does have that book you suggested, so that'll be one of my first things I pick up :)

Last edited:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
An art history book on the Medieval period would give you a lot about the cathedrals, their design, iconography of the carvings (a woman and a wheel = St. Catherine, a dude full of arrows = St. Sebastian, that type of thing).

Though Notre Dame is a specific cathedral, an art history book will provide you with names and design elements of the architecture, making it easier for you to describe the components if you have action happening in and around the place.

HH <-- art history major

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Re Notre Dame - there's a lot written about its specific history, architecture, design, social & institutional functions, etc., as well as about Paris.

Be aware, when you look at stuff about Notre Dame, that both the church & its surroundings have been extensively altered over the centuries. The plaza in front of the church, for instance, is now much larger & much emptier than it was in the 15c. And there were no gargoyles on it in the Middle Ages - those were added in the 19c (because it was thought they *should* have been there) as part of a major restoration/reconstruction.

But yeah, get yourself oriented to the big picture before you start focusing on the details.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
IMO Joseph and Frances Gies are the most readable authors of medieval history. Their book, "Life in a Medieval City", is about a city in France so may be of interest to you.